Replacing the wall lining in our 30 ft sailing yacht

Sailingyachtcouple

Visit site
our 1985 newly purchased yacht has a number of jobs to do, one being replacing the dirty interior hull carpets the walls throughout. Signs of mould in areas near some leaky windows, but mostly is just years of dirt. I’ve been right through today and hoovered / carpet cleaned the walls as best I can resulting in a few bowls of grimy black brown carpet water and trying not to leave it damp. A lot of it is securely glued round the edges and the main middle parts seem to be unstuck. My question is, once we’ve cured the leaky windows, should we strip all the carpet back to the grp hull, then replace with foam backed carpet, or something else, or maybe carpet or tile over the existing using high temperature glue after spraying with some kind of mould repellant . What’s everyone’s thoughts?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Well worth doing the whole lot. Getting the old carpet and adhesive off is the biggest part of the job. When replacing look for the correct stuff, elasticated as used by camper van builders, it will mould around complex shapes without problems.

lustyd

Visit site
I bought this pack of stuff for the dremel to remove glue etc. The things that look like scotchbrite pads are extremely effective and quick. I've not managed to find larger versions of them and at about 10 minutes per square metre I don't think I'd want to do a whole boat but they work well and cause zero damage to the grp.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08LNDZK24

harvey38

Visit site
The four way stretch camper van lining is the way to go. As long as all remnants of the carpet are removed, the old glue does not need to be removed so making the job very easy and quick. Ironically, we've just been doing the forward cabin this morning.

Plenty of photos on our blog.

srm

Visit site
If you are going down the replacement route, something I am doing at the moment, consider adding a layer of insulation.
I would suggest stripping the old carpet and doing the job properly, and yes I have done it on a 33ft Prout catamaran. Quite a few weekends over a winter.
Also, as Sandy says, insulation is well worth the effort as it will make the boat much more pleasant in both cold and hot weather. It also stops condensation and mould forming.

Sailingyachtcouple

Visit site
The four way stretch camper van lining is the way to go. As long as all remnants of the carpet are removed, the old glue does not need to be removed so making the job very easy and quick. Ironically, we've just been doing the forward cabin this morning.

Plenty of photos on our blog.
Great! Where can I find your photos?

Refueler

Visit site
Well worth doing the whole lot. Getting the old carpet and adhesive off is the biggest part of the job. When replacing look for the correct stuff, elasticated as used by camper van builders, it will mould around complex shapes without problems.

Van Lining ... you can buy in rolls with the recc'd amount of correct spray adhesive. Its stretches and forms to curves etc ...

Example .......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38509746...z5ajwWw5JMBHbNXnkYsU8PY3oJ|tkp:Bk9SR_7eiISwZA

Another is to use carpet tiles - not the foam backed ones. But they are best only for where no compound curves / shapes to cover.