Replacing old Stowe Dataline Instruments

ritchyp

Visit site
Now! I believe I have found the right sail pack for my needs and budget.
Its a Garmin GNX 52 Wireless Sail pack - price 1200 GBP. If I'm correct, it should serve my needs and sort out all my issues...

"Includes Garmin GNX™ Wind and GNX 20 marine instruments, gWind™ Wireless 2 transducer and Airmar DST810 thru-hull smart transducer

GNX Wind and GNX 20 instruments have highly visible monochrome LCD displays

gWind Wireless 2 transducer eliminates running wires through masts up to 50 feet

DST810 thru-hull smart transducer provides water depth, water speed and water temperature data — plus attitude sensing for heel/trim and pitch/roll inputs

Wireless connectivity to devices with BLUETOOTH® technology enables DST810 calibration directly through Airmar’s Cast app

Easy plug-and-play installation with NMEA 2000® network

With a GNX Wireless Sail Pack, you will have all the equipment you need to know what’s going on with the wind and the water.'

I have a Raymarine e90w Plotter/MFDwhich uses Seatalkng for sending or receiving serial data and I have an EV1 & AC100 autopilot with P70S head unit but its not connected to Anything apart from the other components of the autohelm system by Seatakng.
As soon as the Wind picks up or even a big gust, it loses its direction because it is not getting any data so currently it is only good for sailing in very light winds or motoring. I think if it starts getting Apparent wind data and connected to the e90w so it could also follow a track, this would stop happening?

I think I'm correct in thinking that the NMEA 2000 data generated from the Garmin kit and Airmar DST 810 will be compatible with my Raymarine equipment, as Seatalkng is NMEA 2000 but Raymarine use there own proprietary connectors and all you need is an adaptor piece or an adaptor cable? Thefore this Garmin pack will play nice with my Raymarine kit as long as I get the adaptor cables from N2K to Seatalkng.

Opinions and comments on my reasoning will be much appreciated.

BR Ritchy

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Now! I believe I have found the right sail pack for my needs and budget.
Its a Garmin GNX 52 Wireless Sail pack - price 1200 GBP. If I'm correct, it should serve my needs and sort out all my issues...

"Includes Garmin GNX™ Wind and GNX 20 marine instruments, gWind™ Wireless 2 transducer and Airmar DST810 thru-hull smart transducer

GNX Wind and GNX 20 instruments have highly visible monochrome LCD displays

gWind Wireless 2 transducer eliminates running wires through masts up to 50 feet

DST810 thru-hull smart transducer provides water depth, water speed and water temperature data — plus attitude sensing for heel/trim and pitch/roll inputs

Wireless connectivity to devices with BLUETOOTH® technology enables DST810 calibration directly through Airmar’s Cast app

Easy plug-and-play installation with NMEA 2000® network

With a GNX Wireless Sail Pack, you will have all the equipment you need to know what’s going on with the wind and the water.'

I have a Raymarine e90w Plotter/MFDwhich uses Seatalkng for sending or receiving serial data and I have an EV1 & AC100 autopilot with P70S head unit but its not connected to Anything apart from the other components of the autohelm system by Seatakng.
As soon as the Wind picks up or even a big gust, it loses its direction because it is not getting any data so currently it is only good for sailing in very light winds or motoring. I think if it starts getting Apparent wind data and connected to the e90w so it could also follow a track, this would stop happening?

I think I'm correct in thinking that the NMEA 2000 data generated from the Garmin kit and Airmar DST 810 will be compatible with my Raymarine equipment, as Seatalkng is NMEA 2000 but Raymarine use there own proprietary connectors and all you need is an adaptor piece or an adaptor cable? Thefore this Garmin pack will play nice with my Raymarine kit as long as I get the adaptor cables from N2K to Seatalkng.

Opinions and comments on my reasoning will be much appreciated.

BR Ritchy
The gear you want to keep is Raymarine so why complicate things. Get the Raymarine i70s Multifunction Instrument Display with DST800 and Wind Speed Sensor. It's pennies more than the Garmin (Which is good stuff) and will easily integrate with your plotter and AP.

ritchyp

Visit site
Hi Buck,

I did look at that option but I don't really like multi function instruments. Its true that I should have the depth shown on my e90w, not sure about the wind direction and speed & whether True or Apparent. I'm very long sighted (comes with being 60 this year.)
I currently have Stowe wind , speed, log and GPS four in a horizontal row and mounted above the back of the sliding hatch way. They are nice and easy to see from the helm without my reading glasses and about 2.5m away from the wheel. When I want to look at the chart plotter, I have to put my reading glasses on as the E90w is mounted on top of the binnacle. I want to see the wind display at all times and compromised slightly on on the Log & depth because the display is a two in one but I will still be able to see my depth if I look directly ahead at the instrument, Log too!
I really dont want to have an i70s MF scrolling the different information or ask a crew member to switch it between modes or use a remote contol that costs 4 or 500 quid.

It would easier if it was within reach, which means mounting it close to the helm but then it would be out of focus and I would need my glasses again. Wearing the glasses permanently obviously is not an option because I need to see the sails and keep a look out and with glasses on, I cant see things further away then.

No I want the instruments mounted in the same holes that the Stowe ones currently occupy and I want the wind and depth on separate displays.

I m a computer technician so Im sure I can figure this out. There are enough N2K cables, connectors and T pieces to create an N2K network in the package so I need only one Seatakng cable to connect the autohelm network to the e90w and then one Converer cable to join the Raymarine network to the N2K network. I also have the option of using Ethernet as the e90w has a SeatalkHS port on the back also and I have a Digital Yacht WL510 WiFi access point and a WiFi and Ethernet router connected to it.

I accept that your solution is so much simpler buts its not for me.

What has really unnerved me is Kompetant Krew's comment saying I will regret using a wireless Mast head Transducer and that he would Never! accept that on his yacht. and reiterated an earlier comment saying that the LCJ Captures ultrasonic mast head transducer is the best way to go.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Hi Buck,

I did look at that option but I don't really like multi function instruments. Its true that I should have the depth shown on my e90w, not sure about the wind direction and speed & whether True or Apparent. I'm very long sighted (comes with being 60 this year.)
I currently have Stowe wind , speed, log and GPS four in a horizontal row and mounted above the back of the sliding hatch way. They are nice and easy to see from the helm without my reading glasses and about 2.5m away from the wheel. When I want to look at the chart plotter, I have to put my reading glasses on as the E90w is mounted on top of the binnacle. I want to see the wind display at all times and compromised slightly on on the Log & depth because the display is a two in one but I will still be able to see my depth if I look directly ahead at the instrument, Log too!
I really dont want to have an i70s MF scrolling the different information or ask a crew member to switch it between modes or use a remote contol that costs 4 or 500 quid.

It would easier if it was within reach, which means mounting it close to the helm but then it would be out of focus and I would need my glasses again. Wearing the glasses permanently obviously is not an option because I need to see the sails and keep a look out and with glasses on, I cant see things further away then.

No I want the instruments mounted in the same holes that the Stowe ones currently occupy and I want the wind and depth on separate displays.

I m a computer technician so Im sure I can figure this out. There are enough N2K cables, connectors and T pieces to create an N2K network in the package so I need only one Seatakng cable to connect the autohelm network to the e90w and then one Converer cable to join the Raymarine network to the N2K network. I also have the option of using Ethernet as the e90w has a SeatalkHS port on the back also and I have a Digital Yacht WL510 WiFi access point and a WiFi and Ethernet router connected to it.

I accept that your solution is so much simpler buts its not for me.

What has really unnerved me is Kompetant Krew's comment saying I will regret using a wireless Mast head Transducer and that he would Never! accept that on his yacht. and reiterated an earlier comment saying that the LCJ Captures ultrasonic mast head transducer is the best way to go.
I know exactly what you mean about glasses as I'm in the same boat so to speak but have got used to it now and configured my display with a couple of pages to compensate. I use a Triton2 which is a bit more configurable than the Raymarine. I have a heading and wind page and a Speed and depth page for when I need them but otherwise I use the default sail steer page which although the numbers are small the graphics are very clear or my own Page with Wind Both numbers and commas rose display, Speed and VMG. The numbers are big enough to see clearly.

You know that the P70 controller has configurable pages too? Where is that mounted?

As for wireless wind. There are many nay sayers. There are also many brands. I have B&G WS320. It's been up there for 6 years and the only change from new is that the battery is reporting 96% capacity these days. Never missed a beat so far.

Finally, I spliced my TP32 tiller pilot into the NMEA2000 network as I couldn't be bothered with the adapter cable. You're right on that count that it's all pretty simple if you've ever held a pair of wire strippers in your hand.

If I had the money for them I'd put a couple of big B&G analogue gauges on the Companion way garage where I guess your instruments are as it's a classic look but to be honest I'm not sure how often I would actually use them :)

ChrisGreen

Visit site
Hi Ritchy.
Just purchased 2 new anemometer bearings from my local Bearing Traders, had to be ordered but they were in the next day and cost a total of £9.34. So far so good, but now I find that one of the brass electrical contact pins in the mounting bracket is broken off, Stowe probably used a commercially available connector which I have searched the web for and no luck so far , does anyone know of the manufacturer of the connector, I am determined to repair if at all possible as funds dictate.

ritchyp

Visit site
Hi Ritchy.
Just purchased 2 new anemometer bearings from my local Bearing Traders, had to be ordered but they were in the next day and cost a total of £9.34. So far so good, but now I find that one of the brass electrical contact pins in the mounting bracket is broken off, Stowe probably used a commercially available connector which I have searched the web for and no luck so far , does anyone know of the manufacturer of the connector, I am determined to repair if at all possible as funds dictate.

ritchyp

Visit site
Hi Chris Green,

I am sorry but I don't know where you can the terminal block from but hopefully somebody will read this and have a solution for you.
It sounds like you have the solution for me by all accounts. Could you, would you? Be so kind as to send me any data you have on the size & dimensions of the bearings. If you could do that for me and send me a PM with an attachment or just in a re3ply on this thread, that would be amazing. So its actually two bearings I need. If I could but those bearings from a bearing supplier that would solve me problem. I have to buy another tender as mine was too far gone and Ive wasted several days and spent $30 on glue and its just beyond saving so I need to allow for that in my limited budget.
It just occurred to me that if you don't know the sizes because you took the old ones and they ordered new ones for you. If I knew the order number/ invoice number, I could call them and they could look at the order on their computer and they could supply me with a pair of the same bearings.

That is some positive news I really needed today.

TIA Ritchy :)

ritchyp

Visit site
Tried to PM you ChrisGreen. It would not let me. My guess is dont have notifications enabled for replies only PMs. And you dont accept PMs maybe? If I could get those bearing sizes, I would get them on order and then go aloft and fit them.

Cheers Ritchy

ChrisGreen

Visit site
Hi Ritchy.
Not sure how to contact forum members using PM, whatever that is!!. However the bearing traders description of the bearings is 692ZZ one off and 682XZZ also one off.
Metric dimensions 6.0 X 2.0 X 3.0 and 6.0 X 2.5 X 3.0
Hope this works for you.
Regards
Chris G

ritchyp

Visit site
Hi ChrisGreen,

I appreciate the information but I am going to invest in a new Garmin Wind and depth/STW system with an Airmar DST 810 triducer and Nexus masthead wind transducer& anemometer NOT A WIRELESS ONE! a Fully wired top to bottom and front to back. The wired system is more expensive than the Wireless one.
Fortunately I read some very bad reviews about the Wireless system and a couple on Youtube. One Wind transducer shorted out after a couple of months and was terminal and the other had a water leak into the battery compartment and he had to go up the mast and replace the battery after 6 months (supposed to last 3 years) who uses NiMH batteries anymore.......?

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Hi ChrisGreen,

I appreciate the information but I am going to invest in a new Garmin Wind and depth/STW system with an Airmar DST 810 triducer and Nexus masthead wind transducer& anemometer NOT A WIRELESS ONE! a Fully wired top to bottom and front to back. The wired system is more expensive than the Wireless one.
Fortunately I read some very bad reviews about the Wireless system and a couple on Youtube. One Wind transducer shorted out after a couple of months and was terminal and the other had a water leak into the battery compartment and he had to go up the mast and replace the battery after 6 months (supposed to last 3 years) who uses NiMH batteries anymore.......?
Most large commercial aircraft.

ChrisGreen

Visit site
Well done Ritchy, you seem to have sorted your problems.
If anyone has a Stowe wind instrument that they are going to scrap, I would definitely be interested, I need it to use the electrical contact plug and socket as my plug has one broken brass pin.
Regards.
Chris G.