Replacing Batteries

celtic_mist

Visit site
Hi All ,
I Need To Replace 6 House Batteries Which Are As Flat As Pancakes ! They Lasted 3 Years ! Is This The Life Of Batteries ? They Were VARTA 160 ah Battery .
Anyone Found Batteries That Last Longer Than 2-3 Years ?
Thanks
Celtic_Mist

Garryt

www.filemakerservices.com
That is probably about the average life, but some people experience a much longer lifespan. It really depends on many things.

How they have been used.
The type of batteries (deep discharge etc)
The type of charging system (some charging systems will also condition the batteries, thus prolonging their life)
Quality of the original battery...

....plus other things that I am probably not aware of.

JerryHawkins

Visit site
From experience (and vast reading on the subject!), the life of a battery is almost totally dependent on two things:

1. The level to which you discharge it (never go more than 50%)
2. The way it is re-charged/maintained

So:

1. Buy the cheapest lead acid batterys you can find
2. Buy the most expensive charger you can afford
3. Buy some form of decent battery monitor

Have a browse to http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/technical1.html

Cheers,

Jerry

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yup, that sounds to be about par for the course if they're getting used and abused

celtic_mist

Visit site
Thanks Lads,
It Looks Like I Will Just Have To Throw Money At The Problem!
Glad To Know That They Dont Last Much Longer Than 3 Years
For The Basic Battery !
Is There A Difference Between Deep Cycle Lorrie Battery &
Deep Cycle Marine Battery Other Than The Price ?

stuartw

Visit site
I think that is a bit low for battery life. As others have correctly mentioned, it does depend on how they've been used & charged.
High charge rates are the death knell for a battery, along with leaving a flattened battery for extended periods uncharged, when it begins to sulphate and will then not accept a charge.

However all may not be lost. Modern switchmode and micro controlled chargers are capable of resurecting flat & suphate batteries by driving them at high voltage, eg 18V, with a low current limit for several hours. This causes them to vigorously gas, which stirs up the electrolyte, and desulphates the plates.

I bought new batteries and charger last year, and I managed to resurrect one of my 4 batteries, which I now use as a spare for the generator.

Unless you are away from pontoon power for extended periods, ie days, then high rate chargers , ie 50Amps+, are not a good idea. My charger is a CTEK Multi XT 14000, which only gives out 14A @ 24V, more than adequate to maintain services and the battery charge. But it does have the re-condition mode, and a temperature sensor, so that batteries are prevented from overcharging. Also when left in float mode, gives a little boost every 10 days to stop sulphation.

So if I were you, get a decent charger first, and see if you can resurect any or all of your batteries.

duncan

Visit site
I happily use lorry Varta batteries - the Silver ones designed for coaches.

I couldn't help but notice 6 x 160Ah just as the house batts - seems like a lot of battery power; do they get used extensively and are you sure they have all failed/failing?

Brayman

Visit site
If batteries are connected together and one of them goes down it will drain the others and make it look like they are also duff. It is possible that you have one bad apple in there. Charge them separately and watch how they each keep their charge before replacing all of them.

celtic_mist

Visit site
Thanks Lads,
I Will Go Down To The Boat This Evening & Set Up A New Charging System On A Single Battery To See If That Does Any Good . I Think That I Might Just Have 1 Bad Apple (Hopefully) Which Is Draining The Other Batterys Flat .