Replacement for Volvo MD11C

maxi

Visit site
Beta Marine do replacements from 20hp to 28hp, and will make engine feet to match the MDIIC dimensions - at a price. These engines are based on Kubota stock engines.

I have just bought a standard marinised Kubota 28hp to replace my MDIIC (same as the Beta product but much cheaper), the feet are at the same width as the MDIIC but approx 2" shorter fore and aft. Problem solved by 50p's worth of angle iron from a scrapyard and drilling 6 holes.

These are excellent engines & a popular replacement. Yanmars, Vetus etc all have different dimensions for locating the engine mounts, but not necessarily as easily solved as above. You will almost certainly have to provide a larger raw water inlet skin filling and pipe, and a right hand propeller, otherwise replacement is pretty straightforward.

And guess what - no more clouds of Volvo smoke.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chrisD

Visit site
I have recently replaced an MD11C in a Westerly Berwick with a 29HP Yanmar 3YM (the successor to the 3GM).

The mountings did need replacing, but I don't think it was a significant part of the overall cost. I do recall that conversion kits for the MD11C mountings are available with Volvo's 2030, but I got mixed feedback on how well the mounting conversions work, and I got the overall impression that the Yanmars had a better reputation than either the Volvo or the Beta, although the Beta was quite tempting. So far the Yanmar has only done 20 hours but its very quiet and gives a knot or more over the old MD11C.

I believe the props turn the other way (right hand) with all modern engines so you'll possibly need a shaft and prop.

One unexpected plus of the Yanmar 3YM is that the new control panel slots straight into the space vacated by the MD11C.

What type of boat is it for?

<hr width=100% size=1>

drawp

Thanks, Chris. My boat is a 35ft cold moulded plywood sloop which I built myself. Can you hand crank the Yanmar 3YM (with de-compression levers?). Mike Pilkington from Pilkington Marine in Newton Abbott advised that all modern makes are reliable and it just boiled down to cost and personal preference. As I am thinking about doing the conversion myself, obviously ease of installation will be big consideration. Cheers.

<hr width=100% size=1>

parris

Visit site
Hi,
The crank sfaft of my md11c has just been damaged because of an oil pump failure.
It's impossible to find a new crank shaft in the market so I'm looking for a second hand one in good condition.
Do you think you could help me? Would you, for example, sell me your own crank shaft from your md11 you've just replaced or give any idea please?
My boat is a Wauquiez (Gladiateur 33) and has a sail drive, so, I think, the replacement with a Kubota is more dificult than in a boat with a shaft

<hr width=100% size=1>

boatless

Visit site
Don't know where you are, but any decent car engine borer/grinder should be able to rebuild the damaged bearing area and regrind it.

<hr width=100% size=1>my opinion is complete rubbish, probably.

parris

Visit site
Hi boatless
I'm in Greece and have the crankshaft of my MD11C Sail Drive damaged because of the oil pump failure.
I've almost decided to replace the old engine with a Sole Diesel 25 HP based on Mitsubishi, mainly because Sole diesel produces an adaptation kit to fit the new engine to the old Volvo's 110 S Drive.
Local Volvo's engineers recommend me to avoid regrinding (for a second time) the old shaft
What is your opinion on Sole Diesel engines and on my decision?
Thank's,
Parris

<hr width=100% size=1>