repair to canopy windows.

Birdseye

Visit site
boat has a wendy house and somehow one of the plastic windows sown into the canvas has a 1 inch slit in it. The windows otherise are fairly good as you would expect on a 4 year old cover.

any way of repairing / welding the plastic to stop the slit spreading?

pete

Visit site
I used plastic greenhouse repair tape, its clear, about 2" wide and very tough stuck over the split to keep my old hood going, it worked well for me.

Binman

Visit site
Couldn't put up with that, I would have it repaired, no matter what you do will only be temporary, you would be drawn to it all the time, once you start down this route you end up with a boat full of bodgies.

prv

Visit site

A small round hole melted at each end of the cut with a hot tool (old soldering iron would be ideal, but a largish nail heated on the stove would also do) ought to stop the cut growing. Not sure there's an effective way of welding it closed though.

Pete

BlueChip

Visit site
boat has a wendy house and somehow one of the plastic windows sown into the canvas has a 1 inch slit in it. The windows otherise are fairly good as you would expect on a 4 year old cover.

It's quick and cheap to replace a window but whatever you do don't cut the old window out because they cut it out after the new one is fitted

Martin_J

Visit site
I have successfully used Clear Gorilla Repair Tape on splits on sprayhood windows.

Available in the usual DIY stores. Clear, UV resistant and seems to stick immediately to sprayhood plastic even with the briefest of cleaning before applying.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
I have repaired a couple of similar cracks, caused by replacing sprayhood in the winters cold. Used a clear tape bought off ebay for repairing cracked headlights, no doubt greenhouse stuff etc. would do the job. I don't regard it as a bodge as I fully intend to get windows replaced in due coarse, just wasn't a priority prior to launch and of coarse it takes time to get this done.
Certainly kept some serious rain out in the meantime.

PlankWalker

Visit site
Had a similar problem with my sprayhood 5 years ago,
I took the advice of Wilkinsonsails of this parish and stuck Mylar Repair Tape on both sides of the tare, briliant stuff!
5 years later and a few more cracks repaired I've just replaced the plastic window, and the old hood looks good for another 5 years.

Plank

ffiill

Visit site
Profabrics stock the clear plastic- usually its the heavier quality ,its cheap and it sews no problem with a number 100 needle on a normal domestic sewing machine.