repainting

stewart

Visit site
The red hull stripe on my boat is looking faded and patchy now so I think it's time for a repaint. Has anyone tried repainting the hull? Awlgrip has been recommended - anyone used the stuff or any ideas of cost for a 46' boat? I've had quotes for having the whole job done professionally but they seem high so might do it myself.

tcm

Visit site
Re: repainting and other options

yes you can repaint, and awlgrip is good gear. I bet it will be fab if you get someone else to do it unless you are a skilled sprray painter which you aren't cos otherwise you wdn't be able to afford a boat (unless you are vv good and quick sprayer of praps dodgy motors..)

Ahem. But face is stewart, that boat is getting a bit ancient now it's high time you traded it in. I'm sure BarryD wd agree. In fact BarryD is probly into helicopters now and almost on his third.

Next time, buy one with a white hull and slap some interesting stickers on it.

stewart

Visit site
Re: repainting and other options

problem is doubling the price to get anything nearly as big and significantly newer......

Anyway, no red hull next time, apparently they're the worst for fading.

jfm

Visit site
What is Awlgrip?

Often heard it praised, but what issit? Some kind of very special paint, or just an ordinary paint that happens to be good quality, bit better than Dulux? I think they use it on metal (steel and Aluminium) megayachts a bit, but I'm not sure exactly what it is

On the subject of red stripes TCM, there's a red-sriped LS23 (or probly a 21, cos a bit old) for sale in this month's BI. Not the best colour on the LS, imho........

halcyon

Visit site
Re: What is Awlgrip?

You could, we used to to paint it on the bottom, American anti-fouling that came into the country back in the mid 90's.

What else they do not sure.

Brian

KevL

Visit site

Now that is just kinky, very kinky IMHO :cool:

--
Tides - Never there when you need one.
Wind - Always there when you don't.

KevL

Strathglass

Visit site
If is only the red stripe why not look at covering it with a vynal stripe as used for lettering. If it is properly put on you may not have to respray.
Saying that I will be respraying my topside sometime towards the end of the season with two part polyurethene.
Iain

tcm

Visit site

It's a brand of paint. A different load i think, for steel or ally or fibreglass. Don't think they have an incredible patent that means thet are much much better than someone's else paint, tho wd imagine it beter than dulux for outsides of boats. Probably complicated epoxy or whatever. Anyway, when you paint a new megaboat, you don't say "we just had it painted to tart it up before flogging it" you say "New Awlgrip".

Haven't seen latest Boat International. Seems to be a bit samey these days, more use for people bumming around Antibes trying to feign megayacht expertise perhaps?

jfm

Visit site

Aha thanks. Yes that's what I meant. They always say "New Awlgrip" or "recently Re-Awlgripped" etc etc.

Re your 2nd para - Yup!