Removing the oil cooler KAD series?

BruceK

Visit site
I let this part stay on the engine: Oil filter housing (this is where the oil sits on a cold engine) and only remove this: Oil cooler (this drains into the housing). Once loose move it to the left and take it out and that's it. The hose to the heat exchanger needs to be moved out of the way.

Ah, ok. I have always removed the lot and separated afterwards

A_8

Visit site
Update, I decided to have it refurbished at around €500 and after a few days I get a call from the workshop informing me that the core leaks....I told him if that was correct I would have water in the oil and/or oil in the seawater cooling outlet which they did not seem to understand. As it happened he had a spare core on the shelf for another €600......
Either it was a scam or they damaged the core when taking it out of the housing which seems to be what happened to joae, maybe both these workshops don't know what they are doing or there is a real risk of damaging the core when taking it apart.

I told him this is not what we agreed and ordered a new oil cooler as the difference was only a few hundred euros.

BruceK

Visit site
Bad luck and yes I have destroyed a core trying to take it out. Book of Words says use a block of wood and a light mallet to knock out. Well I can assure you it took a lot more welly than a few taps and it burled the copper tubing failing the pressure test. They could have been resoldered I guess but in the end Coastal took me for a Ride. :p

Reactions: A_8

Michael Inkster

Visit site
So finally got some time this afternoon and got it off....and it looks really bad.
Dx16lnV.jpg

Cmx8OeF.jpg

Zmonw2k.jpg

The last image shows the housing being corroded away all the way to the o-ring which I am thinking might mean I need a new oil cooler as it will likely always leak a bit from this area. I have still not managed to get the other cap off as the screws won't come off and it's even more corrosion on that side including the drain outlet having gone soft.
Any thoughts on needing a new unit or being able to salvage this?

My oil cooler on this very same engine (2004 KAMD 300) failed spectacularly last summer when I was in the boat with my wife and daughter. She dumped all of her oil in the bilges and I had to replace it for £1200. My engine seems to be okay so I think I was lucky as it seem to switch off automatically. Everyone with this engine should be aware of this as apparently they start to corrode at the end plates at around 10 years old. Did you get your steaming engine sorted?