Removing teak plugs

G

Does anyone have an effective way of removing old teak plugs without damaging the surrounding teak? I have several hundred to remove from, amongst other things, teak trim that would be difficult to replace. I usually use an awl but it is a very painstaking process - is there a power tool method?!

G

SaltyJohn, experiment with the first one to find the approximate depth using your awl, then use an electric drill and bit set to almost the depth of the plug, maybe put some masking tape on the bit as a guide, drill out each plug making sure the drill bit is not oversize.

Remove the remaining bits with your awl, this way you should not damage the screws underneath, most DIY outlets will sell both the plug cuttersand corresponding bits if you want to replace. Make sure the grain on the plug follows the grain in the timber when you replace.

Otherwise when you come to clean them down flush they will split!!

Plum

Visit site
First you need to check whether the plugs are glued in or not. On woods that have very little movement due to moisture variation, (eg. Teak) you do not need to glue. Drill a small hole in the centre of the plug and insert a wood screw so the screw bites into the plug and then contacts the screw beneath. Be gentle, and if the plug is not glued in the screw will jack it out cleanly. If it is glued in you will have to drillit out as per the previous advice. I recommend you use a "lip and spur" drill for this. Get a taper plug cutter to match the diameter of the hole to make new plugs and then tap in the new plugs without glue, a coating of varnish is OK, with the grain aligned and then trim off flush. This way, if you ever need to remove the plugs again it will be easy.

G

Thanks for your suggestions. I completed the job yesterday, about 300 plugs in an afternoon. I used a modified fabric grommet cutter. This is a tube slightly smaller than the plug diameter with the end sharpened. I tapped this cutter through the plug until encountering the screw below. A slight jiggle and out comes the plug. I think the secret is that this tube cutter cuts through the glue between the plug and the screw, wheras drilling methods don't seem to work in this case. Anyway, thanks for the advice.