Removing old RNLI stickers.

graham

Visit site
Anyone have any tips to removing old RNLI stickers from a glass boat window?

For some reason my boat came with a collection going back several years and the older ones are really stuck on solidly .

veshengro

Visit site
Warm them up carefully with a hot air gun or Hair drier and they should peel off easily. If any stickyness is left behind you can either use purpose made adhesive remover or if you are a cheapskate like me...WD 40

Beaten by seconds...:)

LiftyK

Visit site
Isopropyl alcohol works well and is usually cheaper than proprietary sticky label remover.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Vehicle Inspection centres over here have a metal scraper blade that fits the hand ... its used to remove the Holographic Inspection sticker that is put on inside of windscreen to show vehicle has passed its inspection.
Those stickers are incredibly hard to remove ... but that scraper does it without any scratch in the glass in seconds. Not even any need to clean of adhesive.

But metal scrapers - need to be careful as a blunt or poor scraper can easily cause scratches in the glass. It must be sharp and straight clean edge blade.

graham

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies . Will try lighter fluid or sticky stuff remover first then razor scraper .not keen on any form of heat on glass.

RNLI allways use quality stuff even the window sticker glue !

Concerto

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies . Will try lighter fluid or sticky stuff remover first then razor scraper .not keen on any form of heat on glass.

RNLI allways use quality stuff even the window sticker glue !
As you have glass, I expect it is toughened glass. On my Fulmar, my glass windows are marked with an emblem showing it is toughened glass.

"Toughened glass is made by heating annealed (float) glass uniformly through a furnace to temperatures exceeding 600 C. The annealed (float) glass is then transferred to the quenching chamber of the furnace where it is rapidly cooled." Glass Processing - How Is Tough Glass Made | Tough Glass

I very much doubt you would reach a temperature a quarter of 600C with a hot air gun if you tried. You only need to warm the stickers to soften the adhesive and would only be in the range of 50 to 60C.