Removing bow thruster propellor

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have a Lewmar bow thruster with a props on each side , there a round zine held by a Allen bolt on each prop shaft at the end , once remove the Zinc comes away which leave a nut and wash that hold the prop on , the prop should then just slide off ,
The prop has a slot , it slide on the shaft then the slot is located in a pin that goes through the middle of the shaft .

last time I tried to get the prop off I manage to get one side off but what every I try the out side just wouldn't move .
I try hitting it with block of wood for the other side , wripping a rope round the prop and using that as a puller , tried a small amount of heat on the prop , also plenty of WD40 ,
there no way of getting a pulley in there .
Anyone with any ideas , I like to get it out this year to give the prop a good clean ant the tunnel a good. of of AF
Other then cutting it off which I rather not do I type of run out of ideas ,
I have a while to think about it as I won't be doing it will March .
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
I have a Lewmar bow thruster with a props on each side , there a round zine held by a Allen bolt on each prop shaft at the end , once remove the Zinc comes away which leave a nut and wash that hold the prop on , the prop should then just slide off ,
The prop has a slot , it slide on the shaft then the slot is located in a pin that goes through the middle of the shaft .

last time I tried to get the prop off I manage to get one side off but what every I try the out side just wouldn't move .
I try hitting it with block of wood for the other side , wripping a rope round the prop and using that as a puller , tried a small amount of heat on the prop , also plenty of WD40 ,
there no way of getting a pulley in there .
Anyone with any ideas , I like to get it out this year to give the prop a good clean ant the tunnel a good. of of AF
Other then cutting it off which I rather not do I type of run out of ideas ,
I have a while to think about it as I won't be doing it will March .
Thanks in advance

Try a disc of aluminium 10mm thick 75mm diameter. In the centre a hole tapped to M10 thread. Around the edge drill 8mm holes, number and pitch to coincide with each prop blade. Remove all sharp edges. Hold disc against hub of prop and thread a good quality tie-wrap/cable-tie round the root of each blade and through one of the 8mm holes. Pull all ties evenly tight. Insert 10mm bolt on centre hole so it contacts the end of the prop shaft and tighten the bolt.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
My Vetus BT prop is difficult to remove even after a couple of years. Not corrosion, but it has a nylon washer that 'grips' into the thread and the prop itself seems to 'stick' to the 'drive pin' through the shaft. It seems to take about 15 to 20 minutes to work and hit it lose. Regular removal does seem to make it easier, plus builds up experience of how to get the prop off.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
My Vetus BT prop is difficult to remove even after a couple of years. Not corrosion, but it has a nylon washer that 'grips' into the thread and the prop itself seems to 'stick' to the 'drive pin' through the shaft. It seems to take about 15 to 20 minutes to work and hit it lose. Regular removal does seem to make it easier, plus builds up experience of how to get the prop off.

Seen it's the same problem I have , so how do you get it off?
@Plum thanks for your intake , it's some thing I may have to try .

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site

This is the kind of puller I use on my vetus bow thruster

s-l300.jpg

I made my own with the threaded rods positioned to suit the prop blade positions.

Boathook

Visit site

I try to remove the nylon washer and then gently hit the prop with a lump of wood. I also turn the prop to try and ease it off evenly. Once it has started to move it doesn't then take to long. A puller would be a good idea for regular removal but it is another tool that needs to be stored at home and then I will forget to take it to the boat when required !

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I try to remove the nylon washer and then gently hit the prop with a lump of wood. I also turn the prop to try and ease it off evenly. Once it has started to move it doesn't then take to long. A puller would be a good idea for regular removal but it is another tool that needs to be stored at home and then I will forget to take it to the boat when required !

Hi
Tried that but no way will it move , I think I will give plum idea a go when the time comes but any other ideas would come in handy , one of the problem is the tunnel not that big so trying to get anything in there isn't easy .

simonfraser

Visit site
Yep same prob here, prop had been on for 20 years, well and truly stuck.
Bought a small puller on ebay.
But there is nowhere to pull at with the hooks.
Rig up a small loop of dyneema at the other side of the puller, behind the prop blades, and hook it on there.
Came off in 5 mins.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Get 2 pieces of wood that will go into the tunnel and rest on the blades with the bow thruster gearbox in between.

Drill and hole in the center so a threaded rod will do through the wood and past/in between the blades. get a third piece of wood and drill 2 holes so the threaded rods will pass through the 2 holes on the third piece of wood which is on the other side of the thruster tunnel Put nuts and washers on the protruding ends of the threaded rosa and tighten evenly.

You will either remove the prop of break the prop.

dansar

Visit site
I've had the same problem every time the anodes need to be replaced. Do you think salt could be the problem? I have given the anode holding nuts a good spray with fresh water several times and found it helped a little. However, my local chandler recommended "Starbrite" SALT OFF. A good spray and left for a few hours but then spray and left overnight. Made removal much easier. No commercial interest in the product just thought it would help.