Remove stuck prop?

rosssavage

Visit site
Sealine S43, 1 3/4” shafts, 4 blade 23” prop.
And it’s properly stuck!!
I’m using the standard Sykes Pickvant type hydraulic puller (allegedly 10 tonne..), mapp gas torch and even shock release freeze spray on the shaft.
And it. Will. Not. Budge!!

any hints? Anyone got a bigger puller to rent?

I’m at the point now where I’m seriously considering pulling the shaft and taking the whole assembly to a machine shop with a big press!

What’s your favourite trick?

gery w

Visit site
Sealine S43, 1 3/4” shafts, 4 blade 23” prop.
And it’s properly stuck!!
I’m using the standard Sykes Pickvant type hydraulic puller (allegedly 10 tonne..), mapp gas torch and even shock release freeze spray on the shaft.
And it. Will. Not. Budge!!

any hints? Anyone got a bigger puller to rent?

I’m at the point now where I’m seriously considering pulling the shaft and taking the whole assembly to a machine shop with a big press!

What’s your favourite trick?
You need a good 2 legged hydraulic puller for a 4 blade prop, get the pressure on and then a good torch to get the heat to the prop boss quickly before it heats the shaft.you could also give the end of the puller a thud with a good hammer to try shock it loose.

If it doesn't go keep the pressure on as it will sometimes let go on the cool down.

Failing that you need to break out the big guns.

rosssavage

Visit site
You need a good 2 legged hydraulic puller for a 4 blade prop, get the pressure on and then a good torch to get the heat to the prop boss quickly before it heats the shaft.you could also give the end of the puller a thud with a good hammer to try shock it loose.

If it doesn't go keep the pressure on as it will sometimes let go on the cool down.

It’s the big guns I’m after really now.
Got a two legged hydraulic puller on it, mapp gas torch on the prop boss and freezer spray on the shaft.
And a lump hammer.
And it won’t let go - first time I’ve ever been beaten!!
I do have Oxyacetelyne, but I fear that’s too hot and too localised.
I’m thinking bigger puller - any suggestions?

andy59

Visit site
Just had exact same problem , same size shafts etc. Mapgas not enough heat so borrowed brothers propane cutting torch, they both popped of after about 2 mins heat applied over keyway at shaft side of boss. Good luck.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
It’s the big guns I’m after really now.
Got a two legged hydraulic puller on it, mapp gas torch on the prop boss and freezer spray on the shaft.
And a lump hammer.
And it won’t let go - first time I’ve ever been beaten!!
I do have Oxyacetelyne, but I fear that’s too hot and too localised.
I’m thinking bigger puller - any suggestions?
Once the puller is on and tight hit the hub with a lump hammer , also hit the front of the prop to shock the taper , if you have help hit each side of the hub between the blades at the same time , the shock will release the taper .

which marina ? I’m on the Thames tomorrow.

gery w

Visit site

For the really stuck/large shafts I us a 20t enerpac jack setup which has yet to fail me,

superheat6k

Visit site
Start off with the shaft and prop as cold as possible, so early morning frosty day (cold snap due later this week), apply the max puller pressure you can achieve, then heat the boss rapidly - you want to expand the boss, but not the shaft - then pound it with a really hard shock blow.

Then buy a hacksaw !

rosssavage

Visit site
Once the puller is on and tight hit the hub with a lump hammer , also hit the front of the prop to shock the taper , if you have help hit each side of the hub between the blades at the same time , the shock will release the taper .

which marina ? I’m on the Thames tomorrow.
Hi Paul, she’s down in Harleyford. Unfortunately I can’t get there tomorrow as I’m on babysitting duties. That’s a shame as I’d would be great to put a face to a name after all these years!

Newbroom

Visit site
Ross remember my Video of the props being pulled in Belgium. Took 10 ton hydraulic press and Oxyacetylene and when they went it was with a huge bang.

I would try the oxyacetylene but keeping the torch moving the whole time and while it under tension from the puller.

If I can help I am at the club most days this week be happy to come up and shock the taper while you heat it up
Dave

gery w

Visit site
That enerpac looks good - not cheap though, eh?!
What do you pair the cylinder with? Big steel plates and threaded bars, or do they do a puller attachment?
The jack can accept a the pulling gear or we use a couple of heavy flanges and some screwed rod.

rosssavage

Visit site
Ross remember my Video of the props being pulled in Belgium. Took 10 ton hydraulic press and Oxyacetylene and when they went it was with a huge bang.

I would try the oxyacetylene but keeping the torch moving the whole time and while it under tension from the puller.

If I can help I am at the club most days this week be happy to come up and shock the taper while you heat it up
Dave
Hi Dave, yes I saw that. They used an enerpac style hydraulic ram and steel plates, didn’t they? I’m wondering if I need more power...
Thanks for the offer, that would be great! Not sure when I’m going back over as I was on day release from newborn duties yesterday- I’ll let you know when I’m going back :) thanks again!!

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
Our advice is to jack it off. Drill and tap two holes in the rear of the prop to take threaded bar, use box section steel as a cross bar and a bolt in the centre that pushes on the shaft end. Wind it up, heat it and leave but don't hammer, P brackets aren't really designed for those loads and you shouldn't need to. Good luck.

steaming_light

Visit site
Had a similar problem a few years ago and ended up using a spray called ACF50....it's an anti corrosion spray, but boy does it work well as a lubricant.

rosssavage

Visit site
Our advice is to jack it off. Drill and tap two holes in the rear of the prop to take threaded bar, use box section steel as a cross bar and a bolt in the centre that pushes on the shaft end. Wind it up, heat it and leave but don't hammer, P brackets aren't really designed for those loads and you shouldn't need to. Good luck.

unfortunately it’s not my prop, so I’m hesitant to drill into it...

rosssavage

Visit site
Had a similar problem a few years ago and ended up using a spray called ACF50....it's an anti corrosion spray, but boy does it work well as a lubricant.
This is on a taper, so slipperyness isn’t the issue really - it’s stuck on the taper (whoever last fitted it went waaayy overboard on the prop nut torque..).
It can only be huge force and temp differential really.
Thanks anyway :)

oldgit

Visit site
Just done two props on Broom with 1.75 shafts and a pair of 4 blade props.
Curious (to me ) two lock nut system with split pin.
Max pull on prop and apply gas torch equally all round boss.
Gave couple of taps with hammer .No movement
Took at least 10 mins of heat before prop suddenly went bang.
Was told that in the case of very reluctant props , leave puller on over night, sometimes does the trick.
The big upside is it does not scare the pants off you when it finally goes.
Always leave a nut on the thread.
Who ever did them last put them on dry.

Newbroom

Visit site
Hi Dave, yes I saw that. They used an enerpac style hydraulic ram and steel plates, didn’t they? I’m wondering if I need more power...
Thanks for the offer, that would be great! Not sure when I’m going back over as I was on day release from newborn duties yesterday- I’ll let you know when I’m going back :) thanks again!!
Ross I think they used the small plate ram out of a porta power kit. I had just sold mine after not using it for years and if I had seen this method before I would of kept it. Let me know when you are going again and I will come over and help you speak gently to it.

Bubblegtt

www.motacar.com
I tried to get my props off a couple of years ago. Tried a big puller from my garage and a lump hammer, but I didn't have any heat. I gave up and asked the yard to get them off, as I didn't want to damage the props. Got a phone call the next day to say that they were off. They were replacing the Shaft seals anyway, so it was just a bit more added to the bill....

rosssavage

Visit site
Interim update: bought a propane cutting torch kit today, and I’ve been trawling eBay for second hand enerpac parts - the puller kit new is over £2k!
I’ve left the current hydraulic puller on the prop wound up to maximum silly pressure, where it will stay for the next couple of days.
I shall return with the oxypropane kit and big hammer and we’ll have another bash. Figuratively. And literally.
I think I will go second hand enerpac when the right bits come up, but unlikely to happen before attempt number 2!