remote chain counter

superboots

Visit site
On my to do list is to fit the remote switch for the windlass which has been sitting on board for some years! However I would want to combine it with a remote chain counter also to be located in the cockpit. I'd prefer a digital display rather than counting the seconds the chain is deploying and then calculating the length. Looking for advice on how to do this.

vas

Visit site
+1 on roger's suggestion.
However, it also depends on the windlass you have and the feasibility of installing the reed sensor on the body of the windlass and the magnet on the gypsy.
So would be helpful to post the windlass you have, as others will know what/how to fit said kit.
There are some windlasses that come pre-wired with magnet and sender. the only other thing you need is a 2wire thin cable from windlass to cockpit, hope it's easy and not a two day ripping everything apart job!

superboots

Visit site
Thanks for replies . I have a SL horizon 1500 express windlass. I don't think it has reed sensor or magnet. I thought I could fit one - perhaps in front of the windlass on a intermediate pulley (helps with roller to windlass angle) I was hoping there could be a wireless version - because I don't fancy threading a wire all the way to the cockpit,

billskip

Visit site
Thanks for replies . I have a SL horizon 1500 express windlass. I don't think it has reed sensor or magnet. I thought I could fit one - perhaps in front of the windlass on a intermediate pulley (helps with roller to windlass angle) I was hoping there could be a wireless version - because I don't fancy threading a wire all the way to the cockpit,
I think it's poster hurricane on here that is knowledgeable on this subject, there are other threads on this subject

vas

Visit site
a photo of your setup and intermediate pulley would help.
personally I doubt (well I'm pretty sure you cannot...) you can fit the magnet on a pulley, it's going to be skipping sliding all over the place. The idea of getting that on the gypsy is that it goes and measures accurately every link of the chain!
Wireless version will mean you buy the whole lot with a black box or whatnot, install all that nearby and then have a remote at the cockpit.
Probably a bit more expensive, but first you have to figure a reliable magnet placement and that wont be a pulley for sure

V.

stu9000

Visit site
I am looking at using a Raspberry Pi, or Pi Pico. Im getting to grips with Python and am sure I could wire in an input sensing a magnet glued to the gypsy wheel. The only question is how to display the data. I could have a dedicated LCD screen in the cockpit, or might even try to get clever and have a browser page on my phone. Maybe walk before we run.