Reluctant crook…

Misterbreeze

Visit site
The next problem, red or white, is getting it into the tank. Neither of my cars will let me fill from a jerry can, there's some kind of safety lock that only a pump nozzle will open.

stranded

Visit site
The next problem, red or white, is getting it into the tank. Neither of my cars will let me fill from a jerry can, there's some kind of safety lock that only a pump nozzle will open.
Oh gawd - really? But that presumably also rules out the walk to the filling station with a jerry can option. If true, presumably a “safety measure” championed by the (private equity owned - because we care) owners of the AA and the like. I think I would like to rephrase my opening qualification and say fyck the morality and fyck the law, cause regarding either just make us ordinary Joes mugs.

Ribtecer

Visit site
Mines like that, but in with the spare wheel tools etc there's a 8 inch funnel type thing with a spout shaped like a fuel pump end for exactly this purpose.

The safety lock thing you refer to is there to prevent you putting petrol in a diesel car, or vice versa. There are shuttle differences in the fuel pump ends these days. Quite a good idea really.

oldbloke

Visit site
Considering the trek you would have to make to either Brixham or ,more likely, across the river and up the hill to Townstall. In either case several miles and about 10,000 metres of climb. I would have no hesitation in using the jerry can. If I was feeling guilty about defrading the government or disappointing my fellow forumites I would refill the can with white diesel

harvey38

Visit site
I think they'd say ignorance is no part of the law, you should have checked. Your car, your problem.

How did that old song go, I fought the law and the law won!!!
How many people check a used diesel vehicle to see if the previous owner used red!

At the time, it wasn't my car so not my problem, they would have to prove I used red diesel. I'm pretty sure there is an algorithm that would provide PPM reduces over x amount of time and a log book provides date of ownership.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
No news from @stranded, perhaps we should run a sweepstake:

1. Got a taxi to the filling station;
  2. Is in Exeter Jail after being found with a tiger red in his tank;
  3. Risked driving the car up the hill and is parked in a layby;
  4. Found the coffee and huge slices of cake at The Chart Room irresistible and has not left the premises since; or
  5. Rode the tide up to Totnes and filled a couple jerry cans up at Morrisons.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Interesting thread.

I have a 20L diesel Jerry can that had preciously been used for red diesel, quite legally to fuel a digger while building my house. It was also used with white diesel for same, it was not always convenient to make the detour to the one place I could buy red.

That jerry can sat empty for a while but I half filled it with white last year to feed my diesel heater (on a petrol boat)

I was considering putting the left over from that in my car to save it going stale. so the 6 million dollar question, would the TINY trace of red left in that can land me in trouble if my tank was dipped?
Probably they can detect ppm.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I used to run several quarries with contractors on some doing the supervised excavation, one day Customs and Excise rolled up and said they had information that red diesel was being used in private motor cars and were here to check all vehicles on site. Of the 6 contractors vehicles 4 had red in the tanks, not ppm but pure red, of the 5 company employees one had pure red in his tank. I sacked him on the spot. C&E confiscated all 5 cars and prosecuted the individuals with large fines.
We were plagued with spot inspections at all quarries as was the contractor for a number of years afterwards.

Ribtecer

Visit site
How many people check a used diesel vehicle to see if the previous owner used red!

At the time, it wasn't my car so not my problem, they would have to prove I used red diesel. I'm pretty sure there is an algorithm that would provide PPM reduces over x amount of time and a log book provides date of ownership.
Obviously nobody checks, but in the eyes of the law it's up to the buyer to make sure a used car is both road worthy and legal.

They won't bu@@er about trying to prove who did it, just inforce the law.

As said above HMRC have more power than the police.

Stupid thing to do.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Obviously nobody checks, but in the eyes of the law it's up to the buyer to make sure a used car is both road worthy and legal.

They won't bu@@er about trying to prove who did it, just inforce the law.

As said above HMRC have more power than the police.

Stupid thing to do.
Customs and Excise have enormous powers.

For instance they can enter your private home without your permission without a warrant. Something the police cannot do.

They can stop, search and disassemble (with a oxyacetylene cutter) your car without your permission ( I have seen them do this to a Mercedes at Dover customs). And are under no obligation to re-assemble it. Even if nothing was found.

They can do this anywhere in the country - it is not limited to ports of entry.

Ditto with your boat unless it is in international waters.

Don't mess with those guys.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Apart from my work experience above I have seen cars at ports in various states of disassembly, seats, inner panels, luggage etc just stripped out with the hapless owners looking on. Another one was in St Marys when I passed a rather unkempt old steel boat off Ushant and it later pulled into the anchorage shortly after he was visited by a rummage team from the customs cutter which was also in the port. I spoke to the guy in Falmouth several days later, He said he was direct from N Africa and they spent the most part of the day turning the boat inside out. They found nothing.

Sandydog2

Visit site
No news from @stranded, perhaps we should run a sweepstake:

1. Got a taxi to the filling station;
  2. Is in Exeter Jail after being found with a tiger red in his tank;
  3. Risked driving the car up the hill and is parked in a layby;
  4. Found the coffee and huge slices of cake at The Chart Room irresistible and has not left the premises since; or
  5. Rode the tide up to Totnes and filled a couple jerry cans up at Morrisons.
You missed out 'left it to his wife to sort out', which would be my vote.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
My understanding is that the dye marks the fuel system
Customs and Excise have enormous powers.

For instance they can enter your private home without your permission without a warrant. Something the police cannot do.

They can stop, search and disassemble (with a oxyacetylene cutter) your car without your permission ( I have seen them do this to a Mercedes at Dover customs). And are under no obligation to re-assemble it. Even if nothing was found.

They can do this anywhere in the country - it is not limited to ports of entry.

Ditto with your boat unless it is in international waters.

Don't mess with those guys.
I'm told that a boat that has been "rummaged" by Customs and Excize is generally in an unusable condition - they basically rip out anything non structural.