Registration transferral

G

We are about to sign on the dotted line for our first boat which is registered in Guernsey. Does anyone know whether it is necessary/required to transfer to British registration? Would welcome your thoughts.

G

Whoaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Registered in Guernsey?? Check the VAT status. Guessing that you intend to "import" the boat to England (i.e. the EC, which Guernsey is not) you may find yourself liable to VAT if this has not already been paid on the boat. A lot depends on how old the boat is and where it was on a certain date, to memory 1st. Jan 1993.

There is also the question of the Recreational Craft Directive. Where was the boat built and when? If built outside the EC (EU?) there could be a problem there too if you are importing to the EC.

email me if you need to know more.

Regards, Balliol.

G

The Bailiwick of Guernsey is 1. A Crown Dependency 2. Part of the British Islands as defined in the Interpretation Act 1889.

The vessel if registered in Guernsey is a British vessel as stated on the front cover of the certificate of registry.

This was quoted to me by the Assistant Registrar of Shipping in Guernsey when, earlier this year I changed my port of registry from Southampton to Guernsey.

It is NOT however, part of the European Community.

My reason for my transfer was that Guernsey are keeping 'the blue book' and only charge once on registry of the boat, unlike UK other ports that now charge every 5 years and don't use 'the blue book' any more.

For more details on VAT any other items contact the VERY VERY helpful Mr Terry Dowington, Assistant Registrar, Guernesy:

Registry of British Ships P O Box 417 White Rock St Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands.

E-mail Address: TERRY DOWINTON

G

Thank you John, I'm pleased we can keep her Guernsey registered as I understand that is the way she started out. I'll also be glad to have an official blue book of some sort as I miss my old passport - those pink things are just ughhhhh!

Thanks again.