Registration of a Boat

G

I have recently purchased a sailing yacht. The only document I have is a Bill of Sale. I believe that I should register the boat, presumably with the SSR. Can someone please advise me who and where I should contact. Likewise the boat has radio. I did obtain my operators licence but some 15 years ago. Likewise can someone advise me where I should get a licience for the boat, and also do I need to update my own. Are there any other documents I should obtain or other places I should register the boat

G

Here goes....

For SSR: phone 029 20768206

For Radio Communications Agency: phone 020 7211 0211

Give them a ring and they'll send you the forms.

G

Re: Here goes....

1.You can register your boat with

The Small Ships Register,PO Box 508 Cardiff CF14 5FH 2. Watch out all radio licences are changing to handle the new system. You can uprate your old one though.

G

Extra points

If you know your boats history you could go for part 1 registry - it's said to prove ownership etc. but its expensive. If you have a VHF certificate already and can find it you can use your radio (non DSC)provided you license it on the boat. If you havent got a VHF cert you now have to get the new dearer more complicated GMDSS version. These are the only courses now on offer.

G

Re: Extra points

don't bother with the gmdss system for now , you will have another 5 years with the old vhf system.by then it may have changed slightly anyway!