Red wind warning for NE coast

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Looks like a Trimaran with fold in wings capsized in Lossiemouth according to the Aberdeen P & J.

Storm Arwen: Pictures show yacht capsized due to strong winds in Lossiemouth

It looks like a Dragonfly 28. Hopefully not too much damage - gelcoat scuffing and maybe damage to a section of the forestay foil. There won't be any main hull flooding. It looks like the floats are fully folded in. That's not a good idea if left afloat in winter storms. It's usually possible to find a winter berth where the floats can be left at least part way out. From the video it looks like there's plenty of space nearby to do just that.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Over 50 knots recorded in North Sea last night, watched it all on Ventusky, but best is Ship AS where you can get real time wind strength and direction by clicking on the arrow heads on the course line for a selected ship.
Also noted all flights from/to Aberdeen and later Newcastle diverted/cancelled according to Flightradar24 - brilliant these sites.
Looks like a Trimaran with fold in wings capsized in Lossiemouth according to the Aberdeen P & J.
Ship AS is a new one to me. Presumably. It is a prepayment service? Does it have any more weather data than Meteociel - Meteociel - Observations du vent moyen en Royaume-Uni en temps réel or, maybe, even than XCWeather?

cherod

Visit site
Not according to the latest Met Office forecast

I agree it does happen once or twice a year and I don't see any sea state of phenomenal. It is always quite exciting when you hear that.

I have friends overwintering in Amble, who have made a tactical withdrawal to an AirBnB tonight and am rather glad I did not leave the boat in Peterhead over the winter.
Few boats damaged in there last night , severe condition

cherod

Visit site
Usual warning to avoid all travel unless you are a TV reporter. I watched a report from Stonehaven and the poor girl was out in pouring rain in the harbour. Locals were interviewed earlier and nowhere near the harbour.

I've just watched the latest report from Stonehaven and she seemed rather wet, but it wasn't raining. Careful examination showed water running down the side of one sleeve with some blowing around her arm and streaks across her body. Everything bone dry apart from her arm and streaks blown by the wind.

A cynic might say she'd been inside nice and warm until a few moments ago and then had a jug of water poured down one arm. :D:D

Ooops back to her for an update and she is thoroughly soaked again. I'm guessing it was recorded earlier.

If the next storm is blowing from the West she is guaranteed to pop up with a view of the railway line near Ardrossan. Always looks impressive with a train just happening to pass and being covered in spray.:D
Not many of those involved up here had that silly grin on their faces last nite

NormanS

Visit site
Apparently, both Arbroath and Montrose RNLI lifeboats were called out last night to go to the aid of a coaster dragging her anchor in Lunan Bay. Quite why anyone would even think about anchoring there in these conditions and that forecast, beats me.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Apparently, both Arbroath and Montrose RNLI lifeboats were called out last night to go to the aid of a coaster dragging her anchor in Lunan Bay. Quite why anyone would even think about anchoring there in these conditions and that forecast, beats me.
Can you suggest where they could have run to?

I passed about 50 ships at anchor on the east coast this summer all waiting for orders. I wonder what they did?

For almost a year we had the pride of the European Cruising industry anchored off the Devon coast due to COVID. It is what ships do.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
There were some deaths and much damage. Clearly, the red alert was fully justified. Of course, there is always the problem that, however good the warnings are, not everyone receives them. Not everyone has freedom of action. The Met Office and the Environment Agency can do their part but it is then a matter for local organisations and individuals to take such actions as they consider best and are achievable. The situation has improved since the 1953 E Coast floods but is still not perfect and never will be.

dunedin

Visit site

I passed about 50 ships at anchor on the east coast this summer all waiting for orders. I wonder what they did?

For almost a year we had the pride of the European Cruising industry anchored off the Devon coast due to COVID. It is what ships do.
There seemed to be a lot of ships on the East coast which had upped their anchors and were pootling about slowly in the North Sea, which at least gave them more sea room, then heading back to anchor when passed.
Lee shores ain’t great for any boat, even a modern ship

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
I've seen a few near storms and one storm out when on the boat. The quietest was Nazare in Portugal; hardly noticed anything. It's got a lot of twist and turns to the marina bit plus a deep water ravine outside. Portland last summer was noisy but comfortable in westerly. Povoa de Vazim was noisy and the swell lifted the pontoons by over a metre up and down. Port Ellen in a southerly was the worst. Fortunately, I had moved to face into wind and I could lengthen the lines so we were riding the swell without interference from the pontoons.

The most enjoyable was three days out from the Azores. The wind had been building all day. We had gone from full canvas to a tiny patch genoa running almost dead downwind. Just as I was about to go off watch there was a change. It took me a few seconds to adjust to the change in air and the change in the wave pattern. Then I looked at the compass and we had veered through 60 degrees. the wind vane steering had moved us with the wind. We'd crossed the cold front. We could see stars through the clouds. The waves were cleaner in the troughs! Although they were very big I felt no anxiety. the motion was comfortable and everything seemed stable. I was happy to leave gybing to get back on course until daylight.

I slept happily for my two hours. My brother told me that, 20 mins after I'd gone below, all the waves had lined up and the clouds to the north had opened up in to an enormous circle. He was taken by the spectacle but I think that, had I seen it, I may not have slept so well!

NormanS

Visit site

This particular gale, latterly named Storm Arwen, was forecast for several days, giving plenty of time to get to real shelter in, for example, the Firth of Forth. With a forecast like that, would you in your own boat have decided to stick it out on a totally exposed lee shore?

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Storm Arwen: Pictures show yacht capsized due to strong winds in Lossiemouth

It looks like a Dragonfly 28. Hopefully not too much damage - gelcoat scuffing and maybe damage to a section of the forestay foil. There won't be any main hull flooding. It looks like the floats are fully folded in. That's not a good idea if left afloat in winter storms. It's usually possible to find a winter berth where the floats can be left at least part way out. From the video it looks like there's plenty of space nearby to do just that.
It's a good job there were no other boats within a masts length to her port side.

So that boat is not ballasted or not self righting?

cherod

Visit site
It's a good job there were no other boats within a masts length to her port side.

So that boat is not ballasted or not self righting?
Fortunatly conditions have improved considerably within the area and hopefully that boat can be righted without much damage ,

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
This particular gale, latterly named Storm Arwen, was forecast for several days, giving plenty of time to get to real shelter in, for example, the Firth of Forth. With a forecast like that, would you in your own boat have decided to stick it out on a totally exposed lee shore?
My wee boat is on the hard in Cornwall and I was safely tucked up in bed listening to the wind, but I did pass Lunan Bay back in August.

I'm not the master of that vessel, there will be good reason why he sought shelter there. Had his anchor not dragged it would have been a non event.

Reading the RNLI account the coaster was checked for damage and headed out to sea.

Montrose RNLI FaceBook post

NormanS

Visit site
My wee boat is on the hard in Cornwall and I was safely tucked up in bed listening to the wind, but I did pass Lunan Bay back in August.

I'm not the master of that vessel, there will be good reason why he sought shelter there. Had his anchor not dragged it would have been a non event.

Reading the RNLI account the coaster was checked for damage and headed out to sea.

Montrose RNLI FaceBook post
In my humble opinion, the "professional" master of that ship acted like an idiot, and put other people's lives in danger. Lunan Bay was a stupid place to be in F9-11 out of the NE. I hope that his ticket is reviewed.

diverd

Visit site
I believe a number of yachts were damaged in Peterhead Marina. My understanding is wind over the stern caused them to repeatedly hit the marina, and all were boats that had been in the marina 20 plus years. The marina was closed from early afternoon so visiting after work was not possible - closed for safety reasons. I believe one on the hard was blown over. I spent much of the evening watching mine on its camera, and it was properly wild. Worst i have seen in many years. Loads of buildings lost roofs, must be hundreds of trees down, and much of the area is still without power.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
In my humble opinion, the "professional" master of that ship acted like an idiot, and put other people's lives in danger. Lunan Bay was a stupid place to be in F9-11 out of the NE. I hope that his ticket is reviewed.
That will be for others to decide. None of the forecasts I looked at last night showed a NE wind direction. Can you point me at some that do or somewhere I can have a look at the actuals?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I believe a number of yachts were damaged in Peterhead Marina. My understanding is wind over the stern caused them to repeatedly hit the marina, and all were boats that had been in the marina 20 plus years. The marina was closed from early afternoon so visiting after work was not possible - closed for safety reasons. I believe one on the hard was blown over. I spent much of the evening watching mine on its camera, and it was properly wild. Worst i have seen in many years. Loads of buildings lost roofs, must be hundreds of trees down, and much of the area is still without power.
That's not good news. I spent a cracking few days at Peterhead in the summer. Hard to believe that there were people swimming, canoeing, SUP boarding and sailing dinghies in the marina then to hear about the damage. Although there were a few boats that, judging by the amount of weed growing off their keels, had not moved for a year or two.

P.S. I'll be down checking my wee boat in Cornwall on Monday. So far no calls from the yard.