RED PETROL

lanason

Visit site
I fully support the campaign for Red Diesel but how can we get a fair price on PETROL used in boats as well. Why should there such a vast difference with the same boat used for the same purposes one with a Petrol lump and the other with Diesel. ???

<hr width=100% size=1>Adrian <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/kelisha>Kelisha</A> Nothing is better than a Holiday

Alistairr

Visit site
Very Well Said, Dear Chap.

I too support the fight for Red Diesel (I now have a Boat that uses Both/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif), But as Ianason says, Why oh why are us Petrol heads ,discriminated against???
Why should we pay more TAX?? We are all using our boats for the same purpose.

Tell me is Petrol not cleaner than Diesel??

Keep Red Diesel, But give us some relief, Please.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://arweb.co.uk/argallery/alistair?&page=1> My Pictures, Look if you want.</A>

Wiggo

Visit site
Removal of 'road use' duty is the obvious answer, since you're (hopefully) not using the thing on the roads. Sadly, it's about as likely as booze duty being lowered in line with Europe.

<hr width=100% size=1><-- insert witty sig file here -->

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.fairlinetarga29.info>Buy my boat!</A>

MedDreamer

Visit site
I will third this motion

See I told you a seperate forum was a good idea :)

Martyn

<hr width=100% size=1>The Dream is Alive

Alistairr

Visit site
Somehow i think we've backed a loser on this one guys!!!/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://arweb.co.uk/argallery/alistair?&page=1> My Pictures, Look if you want.</A>

BarryH

Visit site
Its about as likely as pigs flying. On the other hand. IF the red does get taken away from lesuire users, we'll all be in the same boat!

Yopu could do what I'm doing and looking at running on alcohol. They've been running cars on it it Brazil for years. Theres a few websites with a bit of good info.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

Alistairr

Visit site
To be honest, I'm bought a petrol boat last year, and did expect to pay what i am paying. I am more than happy with my fuel guzzler.

But i completely understand people who run Diesel boats, being upset if they deciede to up the cost of diesel.

But Alcohol does sound good, especially for a weekend away!!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Boathook

Visit site
I'll support 'red' petrol for boats. It will save me a few quid each year which means more will be spent else where so either way the goverment gets my money !

<hr width=100% size=1>

TrueBlue

Visit site
There is a "Red Petrol", or there used to be, it's called SBP2, and in theory you can buy it, but Petroleum Regulations and Customs and Excise make doubly sure that you can't buy it.

In truth as would only be available in very small quantities (globally) so the cost to you would be more than taxed road fuel.

Life's a bitch ain't it??

<hr width=100% size=1>

ick1508

Visit site
Sorry to be a wet blanket... and a pedant...
I work at a place where they use "SBP2" (in full tanker loads) so I checked out the Shell website. It stands for Special (low) Boiling Point solvent, and is available in various grades such as SBP 60/95 LNH. Presumably, in the past, it was identical to road fuel, but it looks a bit different now. No pricing info. Anyone want to take delivery of a tanker load and try it out?? :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Coronet32

Visit site
I cannot lay my hands on the magazine right now but in a recent copy of either MBM or PBO there was an article about the red diesel campaign and it did mention there was a possibilty of the road tax on petrol for leisure boats being lowered?

Also, I believe that light aircraft [prop jobs] use petrol [avgas] and it is dyed 3 different colours according to lead content [yes, I think they still use lead!]. It is not identical to road petrol as it is less volatile [not a bad thing!] - it also [after March 1999 budget] had 26.4p/litre duty whereas road petrol had 47p - 53p/litre?

<hr width=100% size=1>

capsco

Visit site
Alistairr is honest, if you buy a petrol engined boat it will be much cheaper than a comparative diesel model, and you do know how much it is going to cost to run [or you should do] so I do not think you can complain, and I also think you have not got a hope in hell of getting petrol prices reduced.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ontheplane

Visit site
Did you know that there is a form that you can get that you can recover the duty from the govt for petrol that is used that is for a business purpose, and is NOT for road use. Almost no-one bothers as it is quite hard to fall into this category, but if you register your boat as a business (it is available for charter or Corporate entertainment - I'll leave the "excuse" to you....) then it is possible to do it.

Obviously you will have to be prepared to justify the figures on the form, however if you think it might apply to you, ask the tax office

<hr width=100% size=1>Why can't we work 2 days a week and boat the other 5????

G

Aviation Gasoline ....

I certainly would not suggest anyone run a car on it .......... some of it is 100+ octane .... up to 105 !!

Poor old pistons and valves would have a field day with it !!

Just before pistons come through head - think the performance would be unbelievable !!

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

aztec

Visit site
Re: Aviation Gasoline ....

can't remember what grade, or where we got it...

but i can remember we used to use avgas in some of the race cars.... probably illegal as i also remember something about "pump fuel".... but they "pump" avgas don't they??

never really did us any good, apart from becoming very proficient in stripping and rebuilding engines at night, when i was cold... wet.... hungry....

yep, they were the days... NOT!

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Aviation Gasoline ....

It's got lead in it, so wont affect your valves. It will not improve your performance, becasue your engine is designed to run on lower octane fuel. It is only good for high compression engines which are designed to run on it, which are also designed to produce high power. High octane is for high compression, thats all. I know, used to run my car in ireland on it, for two years, no problems austin healey sprout! We got contaminated avgas from the helicoter department, (for cleaning purposes in the armoured car workshops) which is when a drum is opened, if it's not all used straight away and the pump is taken out of the barrel, it's "contaminated" and cant be used for helis, in the army anyway!