red diesel

BillStreet

Visit site
Am I being naive as a nearly new to boating person, or is red diesel widely used around the world, or do you have to buy white diesel?

G

Red Diesel is not only UK ... but in various countries. The red is only a Dye to indicate it's not for Road use / is different tax etc.

There are various dyes in use in a number of countries including blue, green and red.

A lot of countries use the red colour for Agricultural or Heating designated fuels.

The dye in fact is not the only indicator that shows the designated fuel use ... there are also chemical markers that bond with the fuel - so even if you take out the colour - Fullers earth can do it ... I say Can , it's not guaranteed - the marker will still be there for C&E to find.

Red is also normally higher sulphur content - good for older engines - not so good for modern car stuff.

rbingham

Visit site
Red diesel (for commercial use) is the norm. Leisure craft generally pay a higher rate of duty though not always the highest (road) rate. In USA you normally pay full rate at the pumps but various states allow you to claim back the duty paid for off-road use. Diesel in Venezuela is about 4p per litre!

TrueBlue

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Red diesel (for commercial use) is the norm. Leisure craft generally pay a higher rate of duty though not always the highest (road) rate. for off-road use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting - are you saying that there are multiple rates in La Belle France??

and if so can you say what they are?

Over here it is being said that there is only one rate for non rebated fuel....

ThereAndBack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

so even if you take out the colour - Fullers earth can do it ... I say Can , it's not guaranteed - the marker will still be there for C&E to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing that will take out the red dye is a product called Fulminite which is used for recycling cooking fat. It is made by LaPorte Inorganics and its sale is carefully monitored by HM Customs.

G

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

so even if you take out the colour - Fullers earth can do it ... I say Can , it's not guaranteed - the marker will still be there for C&E to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing that will take out the red dye is a product called Fulminite which is used for recycling cooking fat. It is made by LaPorte Inorganics and its sale is carefully monitored by HM Customs.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many drums of Red Dye / Yellow Marker can I supply you ?
I happen to be in the Fuel Biz .... and additives are one of my biz lines ... which includes Red Dye / Yellow Marker ...

Fullers earth has been used by some to remove the dye ... and it is not guaranteed to work ... and as I said - the Yellow marker is still there.

Onto Fulminite ... which Fulminite do you refer to ? Of Mercury, of Silver ... etc. ? Reason I ask is that most Fulminites come under the Explosives and Hazardous Materials classification ... and restricted access. The word comes from "Fulmin" - "to strike lightning" ...

But I'm sure you knew that already .... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif