Red diesel - hang on this is no "concession"

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
All this talk of “ending the concession” is a bit odd to me, because I understood that whether red or white diesel was used for vehicles depended on whether it was being used as “road fuel” or not. Thus, Farmers, who put red diesel in their tractors, are entitled to do so because a tractor is not primarily a road vehicle. Likewise forklift trucks in yard premises where not taken on the road, and finally boats because they are clearly not using red diesel as road fuel.

I remember this because there was an issue a few years ago where farmers were hauling sugar beet to the factory with the new generation of “fast” tractors (these tractors do 40mph) and Customs were questioning their right to use red diesel because the vehicles were primarily being used as road vehicles. The final argument came down (I think) to whether these tractors had standard field tyres or whether they had fitted “road tyres”.

So, to remove the so called “concession for boats” as far as I can see the government have to change the law such that it is not determined by vehicle use but by some other method. If they don’t then surely farmers (and fork lift trucks and trawlers and council grass cutting machinery and lorries on container ports etc………………) will also all have to use white diesel instead of red.

If the government say well “leisure boats are to use white diesel” then I can see my boat having a LAN fitted on it pretty sharpish with a special lazerette for the server and fax! “No Sir, not a leisure boat but a floating office”

As for VAT, well the rule for boat diesel is nonsense. Because of something strange in the VAT Act we only pay 5% (on small quantities) of red diesel whereas we should pay the full 17.5% rate (farmers do!). So Gordon could go for that and I wouldn’t have such an objection. (The effect would be an increase from 35ppl to 39ppl which is 11%, fair do’s).

So, my message for Gordon is:

1) Leave red diesel law as it is (unless you are also taking on everybody else as well, don’t just stick the knife in to boaters)
2) You can have 17.5% VAT on boat diesel, that gives you some cash and it’s fair enough

Someone from the RYA must read this website I presume?......................

rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

itsonlymoney

Visit site
Re: Red diesel - hang on this is no \"concession\"

Rob
I have a petrol engine cos I dont do that many engine hours (Windermere) so economy no great issue. But I sympathise with the plight of deisel boaters who do a lot of engine hours and therefore rely heavily on low cost deisel.
Just wanted to say I agree with all of your comments.
Ian

<hr width=100% size=1>Play the best game you can with the cards you've been dealt ! ! !

sonarbell

Visit site

So why cant us petrol heads have concessions too???. Why should the Oil burners be classed as special cases and exempt from paying tax at the going rate. ??

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talon2

Visit site

Agree with all you say. I wonder how many MP's are aware of these facts. If not then should'nt we be making sure they do.

<hr width=100% size=1>Keith

boat2.jpg

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mobiledit.co.uk>http://www.mobiledit.co.uk</A>

Robih

Visit site

Forgive me, I fear that I have not explained myself well enough in my note as you seemed to have missed the point. (And apologies for the poor formatting of my note, I typed it in Word and then pasted it and the format has gone screwy and ommitted some of the words).

To reiterate, the point is that diesel boat owners are NOT getting a "concession" but are merely consuming fuel in accordance with the current UK law which is that red diesel (lower rate duty diesel) is available for "non road" use. Boats are "non road" and therefore benefit from the law. Ditto farmers, fork lift's, etc as per my earlier note.

I regret that I have no answer for your challenge as to why petrol boat owners cannot benefit from a similar arrangement - an answer would require a study of the law as to why "non road fuel" was classified as such and limited to diesel fuel only. I expect that the origin of this lies in the fact that non road fuel has typically been diesel and not petrol (there are no petrol tractors or fork lifts around!)

rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

robind

Visit site

Well done Rob! I agree totally and couldnt have put it better.
regards
Robd

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rejuvanu.com>RejuVanu</A>

junksailor

Visit site

I think the term Gordon Brown uses is "Rebated fuel oil" One of the main problems has been use by road hauliers and Taxis of the red diesel and organised crime washing the dye out of red diesel by using acids.

The washed stuff rots any alloy parts in the fuel system, but all machinery runs better on the red than it does on the taxed white due to all the cleaner aditives in the latter.

There are lots of random checks on road users here in North Yorkshire, but I have read about fishing boats having their fuel checked at Stornoway in a customs swoop, and I can't understand why? Is it because cheaper fuel still is available from abroad? Is this the yellow diesel?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bergman

Visit site

Agree absolutely

We need to get out of this mind set where not being taxed is a concession. The point is that the extraordinary level of tax on fuel is an imposition which any sensible government would be trying to reduce.

We have nothing to feel guilty about - no-one is doing us a favour with red diesel. What we need to avoid is being done a disfavour.

PS

I used nearly £6 worth of diesel last year - don't know how I will manage.

<hr width=100% size=1>

truebrit

Visit site

Im pretty sure my father mentioned the use of rebated petrol during and just after ww2 and it was green,most tractors then were petrol/Tvo (tractor vaporising oil similar to kerosene) diesel started to reign supreme in the late 40s early 50s

<hr width=100% size=1>Mike....... V8s are sweet music

truebrit

Visit site

Some while ago there was a program on TV about the laundering of red diesel into white,I couldnt believe it ! they were actually showing exactly how to do it. They were filtering it through fullers earth, better known to most of us as radiator leak stopper,radweld etc., but used in great quantities in the process of clarifying cooking oil. Marvellous I thought but at the end of the programme it transpired that you need a licence to buy fullers earth in any quantity.

<hr width=100% size=1>Mike....... V8s are sweet music

Robih

Visit site
Without the formatting errors

Steve,

I don't know if I am flattering myself or not - but if it is your intention to give my original note to your MP then please see it reproduced below - but without the formatting errors!

Rob

All this talk of “ending the concession” is a bit odd to me, because I understood that whether red or white diesel was used for vehicles depended on whether it was being used as “road fuel” or not. Thus, Farmers, who put red diesel in their tractors, are entitled to do so because a tractor is not primarily a road vehicle. Likewise forklift trucks in yard premises where not taken on the road, and finally boats because they are clearly not using red diesel as road fuel.

I remember this because there was an issue a few years ago where farmers were hauling sugar beet to the factory with the new generation of “fast” tractors (these tractors do 40mph) and Customs were questioning their right to use red diesel because the vehicles were primarily being used as road vehicles. The final argument came down (I think) to whether these tractors had standard field tyres or whether they had fitted “road tyres”.

So, to remove the so called “concession for boats” as far as I can see the government have to change the law such that it is not determined by vehicle use but by some other method. If they don’t then surely farmers (and fork lift trucks and trawlers and council grass cutting machinery and lorries on container ports etc………………) will also all have to use white diesel instead of red.

If the government say well “leisure boats are to use white diesel” then I can see my boat having a LAN fitted on it pretty sharpish with a special lazerette for the server and fax! “No Sir, not a leisure boat but a floating office”

As for VAT, well the rule for boat diesel is nonsense. Because of something strange in the VAT Act we only pay 5% (on small quantities) of red diesel whereas we should pay the full 17.5% rate (farmers do!). So Gordon could go for that and I wouldn’t have such an objection. (The effect would be an increase from 35ppl to 39ppl which is 11%, fair do’s).

So, my message for Gordon is:

1) Leave red diesel law as it is (unless you are also taking on everybody else as well, don’t just stick the knife in to boaters)

2) You can have 17.5% VAT on boat diesel, that gives you some cash and it’s fair enough

Someone from the RYA must read this website I presume?......................

rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

anchorhandler

Visit site
Re: Without the formatting errors

Hello Rob
Excellent letter
Hopefully most of us forumites will agree with the points you make. It would be nice if we could all 'sing from the same hymn sheet'
Last month i had the pleasure of having my picture taken by "Gordon's Automatic Tax Suplementing Operation...(or GATSO as most of us know it) for 'speeding' past a camera at 48mph (in a 40mph limit) at 0058hrs in the morning with no other person around for miles, in the middle of a forest with the nearest house some quarter of a mile away........usual result, 3points and 60gbp fine.
The point is (apart from an oportunity to whinge!!) is that in the last 3-4 years since the fuel protests of 2000, i have lost count of haw many new methods this government has created to tax the motorists dry (presumably to ofset the fact that the fuel prices have remained relatively steady since 2000 ??) and now, not content with the revenue from motorists, the government is looking to tax boaters also!!.....Where will all the extra revenue go?...New public low cost marina's to encourage people into boat ownership thus boosting the industry as a whole?, new HM Coastguard helicopters and grants to the RNLI to help save even more lives per year?...yeah chance would be a fine thing!
There is only one thing worse than paying a tax and that is paying an UNFAIR tax.
Hopefully we will see the same kind of solidarity here as that experienced during those fuel protests of 2000.
Simon

<hr width=100% size=1>I'v got 2 ears.2 eyes and 1 mouth....if only i could use them in that proportion!

asteven221

Visit site

I like most motorboaters are very concerned about this issue. Concerned enough to consider if I am going to be able to justify the huge increase in cost of running a motorboat. I thought that the termination of the "concession" in red diesel was as a result of our friendly european government and little to do with what our government says. If I am correct then Gordon won't have any say in the matter other than to lobby on our behalf. How come when Europe wants to harmonise some crappy tax system - our government agrees and we get shafted, but when Europe has a lower tax on something that will make our life better, our government ignores it? Sorry I will get off my soapbox!

<hr width=100% size=1>