Recommended places to visit en route from Malta to Split

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
We are planning a 2-3 week trip moving the boat from Malta to Split starting around the 6th September.

We have Dubvovnik firmly in our sites before going on to visiting to Korcula, HVar, and the like where we have already spent a fortnight on a friends boat

Can you recommend any places (harbours, marinas, anchorages) which you have enjoyed along the east coast of Sicily and the south coast of Italy?

Any advice much appreciated :)

Tranona

Visit site
Little of interest on the east coast of Italy. Better to do Sicily to the Ionian and then work your way north. Lots of interesting places in the Ionian if you have time but Corfu is a must as a jumping off point. Albania is an interesting experience and suggest Sarande so you can visit the site at Hitting.

Richard10002

Visit site
Anchor in the bay under Taormina on the East coast of Sicily, go through the tunnel by the cafe, and get the bus up the town in the sky. It's where the posh italians go on holiday.

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
Thanks guys.

That's Syracuse as a definite destination and Taormina as a possibility!

My outline route was maybe then to visit Puglia -which I have been told is beautiful - and then to head off towards the Croatian coast. I have also thought about heading over to Greece and Albania but as I am time constrained, I am not sure I can on this trip without turning it into a marathon.

However, still on the agenda is the possibility of landing on that coast as far south as Montenegro, if for no other reason than to tank up on cheap diesel, before going on north to Dubrovnik.

Any more comments or suggestions gratefully received

Talulah

Visit site
Currently in Malta and took a day excursion to Sicily.
Taormina and the breathtaking views are amazing. Maltese Falcon was one of the super yachts anchored in the bay.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

One of the first Croatian islands you will hit (not literally!) is Lastovo. There is an excellent restaurant called Triton in a very sheltered bay called Zaklopatica which is definitely worth a visit. They have their own quay and you can moor free there if you eat in the restaurant. The last time we visited, we weren't happy with the table we were allocated so they served us dinner on our boat which was delightful
http://www.triton.hr/en

charles_reed

Visit site
I've found Siracusa anchorage one of the best in Italian waters, the Ampitheatre and Greek fortress are well worth a visit.
As Metabarca has suggested Otranto is a great little town with some good ristoranti and a castle which has the doubtful fame of being the last Italian town sacked by the Barbary pirates.
My favourite island was Vis, got to know local inhabitants (it was cleared as a military base in the 50's so many locals landed up in Australia). The wine there is some of the best I've come across - making a Valpolicella di Amarone appear watery in comparison.
Korcula is a pleasant island and well worth a visit,with some outstanding places to eat in Lastovo.
Split I found definitely underwhelming - but that was about 8 years ago.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

My favourite island was Vis,
+1 for Vis. We preferred to moor on the quay at Kut rather than on the town quay in Vis itself which was a bit noisy for us. No visit to Vis would be complete without eating at Rokis http://www.rokis.hr/en/index.php?nId=28. Amazingly there is a cricket club next to the restaurant which I understand was started by British servicemen secretly stationed on Vis during WW2. It was featured in the TV series 3 Men in a Boat