Recommend a broker for selling a boat (solent)??

Pinnacle

Visit site
As for recommending a broker, its a bit like the estate agents posts of late.

Regarding comm levels, you will do well to agree anything less than 6% plus VAT. Go with B&O as suggested by Magna Carter. What have you got to lose?

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
People are looking at the moment.... so from the perspective of a buyer, I can tell you that the 4 main places I am looking are:

boatsandoutboards.co.uk
ybw.com
boatshed.co.uk
boats-for-sale.co.uk

I haven't even bothered to talk to a broker yet...... but they all just stick their boats on one or more of these sites anyway.....

PS... sold my previous boat via B&O in September in just 2 weeks

jonic

www.jryachts.com
[ QUOTE ]
Having just bought a boat through a broker and sold without the use of a broker, stay away from them. If they could elevate themselves to being just useless would be a huge improvement. Brokers, the marine equivilant of PC World.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Santana379

Visit site
Of no use to you on the South Coast, but I just sold a Golden Hind using Temple's brokerage in Woodbridge. I must take issue with those badmouthing brokers as a whole - Peter Temple did a great job and sold a potentially hard to sell boat pretty quickly (within weeks), for within £750 of the (realistic) asking price.

They do add value to a transaction, drawing up a contract when the offer is accepted and obtaining a deposit, which only gets refunded in the event of serious defects on survey. In this case there was no price adjustment when the boat was surveyed. They also show people over the boat and conduct all the negotiations.

I have to say we bought our replacement boat, a Barbican, from an Ad. on boatsandoutboards.co.uk

I agree that people are looking - we advertised the boat ourselves at the same price and got a number of good responses, but the broker's sale came through too quickly for us to put any to the test.

Little Knot

jonic

www.jryachts.com
[ QUOTE ]
Of no use to you on the South Coast, but I just sold a Golden Hind using Temple's brokerage in Woodbridge. I must take issue with those badmouthing brokers as a whole - Peter Temple did a great job and sold a potentially hard to sell boat pretty quickly (within weeks), for within £750 of the (realistic) asking price.

They do add value to a transaction, drawing up a contract when the offer is accepted and obtaining a deposit, which only gets refunded in the event of serious defects on survey. In this case there was no price adjustment when the boat was surveyed. They also show people over the boat and conduct all the negotiations.

I have to say we bought our replacement boat, a Barbican, from an Ad. on boatsandoutboards.co.uk

I agree that people are looking - we advertised the boat ourselves at the same price and got a number of good responses, but the broker's sale came through too quickly for us to put any to the test.

Little Knot

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Santana379

Visit site
Completely Irrelevant Post In This Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Crikey, so FF has gone?

[/ QUOTE ]
She has indeed, and we now have another Maurice Griffiths long-keeler with bilge plates, a 1988 Barbican 33.

We'll miss Francis Fletcher - whilst she was loathe to change direction in marinas, the same was true at sea. On one occasion (singlehanded) I balanced the rig at Landguard, left the helm untended, and sat on the foredeck all the way to Woodbridge Haven. A Westerly with 3 crew overtook me, but were left behind when they stopped to reef! The new owner has a very good boat, which is just as well since he plans to sail her to Australia.

Anyway, we've got to get used to wheel rather than a tiller now, but the new boat does have an oven, so we can have Fray Bentos pies, and she'll steer a full circle in reverse!

Little Knot

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Re: Completely Irrelevant Post In This Thread

Shame, but I guess we are all moving on!.... hope you've kept the pirate flags and bunting for those Walton Backwaters summer evenings.... I believe I still owe you an invite aboard, and a glass or two of something warming!

Santana379

Visit site
Re: Completely Irrelevant Post In This Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Shame, but I guess we are all moving on!.... hope you've kept the pirate flags and bunting for those Walton Backwaters summer evenings.... I believe I still owe you an invite aboard, and a glass or two of something warming!

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll be needing a boat first!

The pirate flag is for two reasons - we always fly one to denote we have kids aboard, but they're getting too old for that now. The second is that I'll never be too old - I'm also responsible for maintaining the Nancy Blackett, and my enthusiasm for the Swallows and the Amazon pirates knows no bounds.

I have an increasingly large flag collection - a huge flag of East Anglia arrived yesterday, so that will be flying a fair bit (Cross of St George with the 3 crowns of St Edmund on a blue background in the centre).

I look forward to a Famous Grouse or any suitable substitute!

Little Knot

Santana379

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone recommend a broker in Solent for selling my Bavaria 35? Hoping not to pay more than 4% commission.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hijack your thread - I didn't mean to. Back to the point - I didn't say in my response that I paid 8% (but no VAT). I have to say I felt it was fair, but I can understand why you'd want to pay less.

Little Knot

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Its also worth remembering that a good broker (should) do the work of the two solicitors as in a house transaction. i.e check title, arrange registration, check no outstanding motrgages or debts on the boat, check and prove RCD and VAT, re-negotiate after survey, hold and distribute monies in escrow and pay outstanding yard bills aside from advertising and face to face selling.

Santana379

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
pay outstanding yard bills ? for example ....?

[/ QUOTE ]
When selling Francis Fletcher I presume that if I had a liability to the yard for storage or work, he would have settled it from the proceeds. Otherwise it would potentially have left the buyer with a boat in a yard with unpaid bills, and I could have disappeared. The yard might not be willing to let the boat go at that stage until the bills were settled.

Little Knot

Jonny_H

www.freewebs.com
So far - no quarms with the brokers I've used on the south coast.
Duriong our search we found a couple who clearly weren't sailors and didn't (for example) understand the significance of an RCD - but this was a rare exception!
Generally - invaluable - you wouldn't buy a house without a solicitor would you?!

(PM Sent)

Jonny