Real sea state

Csail

N/A
Visit site
If any of you want a 'real' seastate idea just e-mail me early in the morning. The pic is outside our house looking from Rhoose towards Minehead. Swansea are always wrong with the actual.

Picture4098.jpg

LizzyD

Visit site
You're telling me Swansea aren't always right with the sea state. I've experienced 2-3 meter "smooth to slight" seas more than once! (Not taking anything away from the personnel at the MCA. They do a top job and are only passing on the information they've received from other so-called experts I suppose.)

sb99

Visit site
I agree fully. I realised last year that sea forecast needed to be taken with a pinch of salt and couldn’t be relied upon in isolation. This year I’ll be sticking my head out the window and doing my own assessment before setting out.

PCUK

Visit site
I've found it's always worth going out and taking a look. I remember going to the old Ipswich boat show years ago from the Medway up the East coast in a 'severe westerly gale'.
Many exhibitors were delayed by a couple of days due to the weather forecast but we had a calm trip all the way!

sarabande

Visit site
Hey, I can see your house from the other side !

Wavey ! Wavey ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
I am assuming that the sea state in the current conditions report is what they can see from the window at Mumbles. This is almost bound to be different from the Inshore Waters forecast, and quite likely different from what you can see from your window.

I also reckon that the Inshore Forecast is pessimistic most of the time - I think that they would rather people were put off and stayed at home

Sneds

Visit site
I was certainly put off on Saturday!
Was on board "Who's" new boat and were just poking our nose out of Portishead Quays Marina, when reporting our intention to Bristol VTS and asking them if there was anything to be aware off, they replied "only the wind gusting at 30 kts, our advice to you would be to turn around and go back into the marina."
So we did!
And thanks to them for that advice.

bluedragon

Visit site
Don't get me started on the sea state terms!! All this smooth - slight-moderate stuff is aimed at supertankers to whom 1-2m seas are barely a ripple.