re-cut genoa. Does this look ok?

steve350

Visit site
Hi all, I had my genoa recut in order to breath some new life into it. The work was to re-hollow the luff, raise the clew and adjust the luff tension. I'm not really happy with the result. It seems the foot of the sail has been cut with a hot knife and the seam is no longer attached to the luff wire. Surely this will stress the fabric in this area, possibly leading to a tear? It just doesn't seem right somehow.

Edit. I hope these are better pics. (my first attempt at uploading)

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff393/saturday77/tack2.jpg
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff393/saturday77/footlufftack.jpg
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff393/saturday77/tack3.jpg

Last edited:

Spyro

Visit site
It doesn't look nice but I don't think there would be much extra strength connecting the foot and luff together where you mean. Most of the strength is in the extra panels at the corner between the foot and luff. Can you paste the image tag from photobucket into the post to see a better picture?

yoda

Visit site
Doesn't look right to me. I would expect to see something keeping the luff attached to the cringle or a cringle to allow you to apply luff tension. Without these the luff will just ride up the wire.

Yoda

steve350

Visit site
The pictures are too small to see properly, but from what I can make out, it doesn't look very good to me

I managed to post some better pictures which show the detail more clearly. I agree the work doesn't appear to be too good. Before the alterations were made there was a lot of stitching that secured both the foot and the luff to the tack thimble. As Yoda says, without some form of attachment "the luff will just ride up the wire". I also wonder if the strength in this area is compromised now? Perhaps a return visit to the sail loft is in order.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Hi all, I had my genoa recut in order to breath some new life into it. The work was to re-hollow the luff, raise the clew and adjust the luff tension. I'm not really happy with the result. It seems the foot of the sail has been cut with a hot knife and the seam is no longer attached to the luff wire. Surely this will stress the fabric in this area, possibly leading to a tear? It just doesn't seem right somehow.

Hi Steve

Sorry but hope you did not pay for this mod, I think it is just a matter of time before it rips in a good wind and it will be sooner rather than later!.

Take it back and tell them to do it properly or you will give them some free publicity on the PBO site!

Mike

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
I think it needs a tape from the foot, through the eye and then onto the luff at the very least.... as well as the already mentioned risk of the luff working up the wire the pull from the sheets will be putting the stress on the reinforcement at the tack in a way it wasn't designed to handle.

Spyro

Visit site
Certainly looks a lot worse on the better pics. Sorry to say but £200 might have been better put towards a new sail or a better second hand one.

steve350

Visit site
Certainly looks a lot worse on the better pics. Sorry to say but £200 might have been better put towards a new sail or a better second hand one.

With hindsight I think you could be right. My next step is to return the genoa to the sail loft and see what they have to say.
Thanks for the replies.

steve

Billjratt

Visit site
That's an unfinished job you've been given, but I don't like the way they've cut it anyway.
That whole tack needs tabled, so the eye becomes an integral part of the sail.
Maybe the quality control man was off sick that day.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Mike I paid £200 for the recut.

Steve I am sorry mate but they have ripped you off, and there is no excuse for the standard of the work, no respectable sails loft would return the sail in that condition.

Take it back mate and good luck,any problems tell them you have no choice but to name them on the PBO site!!

Mike

FullCircle

Visit site
WOuld not accept that at all.
I went to a Sail repair course with Cindy Wilkinson the other week - she would no doubt love to have that sail as one of her demonstration pieces.

Take it back. And argue for a minimum £150 reduction.

Silent Lady

Visit site
Send them a link

Send them a link to the page . You don't have to be a member to see it . Depends on what reaction you get as to what you do next . If you don't get a reaction them perhaps you should let everyone know who did it ;)