Raymarine seatalk cabling

voyager35

Visit site
On the boat that I bought in the spring I have just discovered that all the seatalk cables on the ST60 instruments have been bought to a central point and wired together.
All the instruments work but every other installation I have seen and all the Raymarine literature shows the wiring daisy chained from one to the next.
Any knowable thoughts about either leaving it as it is or altering to a daisy chain would be appreciated as I am just starting some alterations to the instrument/chart plotter installation

KompetentKrew

Visit site
The SeaTalkNG Reference Manual PDF might be a good place to start. It starts out taking about SeatalkNG (note that the NG is styled in tiny superscript letters in this document) and then goes onto talking about SeaTalk(1).

I guess if you have plans to change things about you'll be adding SeaTalkNG / NMEA 2000 devices?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
On the boat that I bought in the spring I have just discovered that all the seatalk cables on the ST60 instruments have been bought to a central point and wired together.
All the instruments work but every other installation I have seen and all the Raymarine literature shows the wiring daisy chained from one to the next.
Any knowable thoughts about either leaving it as it is or altering to a daisy chain would be appreciated as I am just starting some alterations to the instrument/chart plotter installation
Leave it alone if it's working, it's common to see the original Seatalk wired like this.

jwilson

Visit site
Seatalk 1 seems to work OK with radial 'bicycle spoke' connections as well as the designed 'daisy chaining'. Radial might even be a better system though using more wire, as if one wire goes bad on a daisy chain you can lose several instruments. AFAIK the in and out connections on Seatalk 1 instruments are just parallel connections.