Raymarine P70R autopilot control head - screen gone blank

tony_lavelle

Visit site
My motor cruiser had a new Raymarine autopilot fitted 5 years ago by the previous owner with two P70R control/display heads (new type with with rotary knob). The "up top" one went blank during the winter due apparently due to moisture getting into the LCD panel in the sealed unit, supposedly waterproof (IPx6 and IPx7). The unit was always protected when not in use with the supplied rubber cover and a fitted PVC cover over the wheel and instruments.

I sent it to the Service Centre for repair and they have confirmed the fault as I described it. They cannot get a spare LCD panel from Raymarine and have offered to sell me a brand new P70RS for over £600 or a P70S (no rotary knob) for slightly less.

The price seems outrageous to me, especially if they only last 5 years despite being "waterproof" and "weatherproof".

I just wondered (a) if any other forumites have had the same problem and (b) if it is possible to find a generic LCD panel (with a small ribbon cable) to replace my dud one.

Thanks for any advice!

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Isn't there a 6 year rule in the UK these days?
I don't believe it's absolute - a question of "reasonable" life expectancy or whether the fault was there when it was sold. This is only enforceable by the original buyer against the retailer though.

To answer one of OP's questions, I did recently read of another i70 or P70 failing, and I think it was because of moisture ingress. On the other hand, they are very common and I think yours is only the second time I've heard of it. Also, it looks like your unit might be more than 5 years old, as it looks like they introduced the i70S/P70S in 2016? I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns - the reason I remember the previous incidence was that I was shocked at such a short life and I agree they should be waterproof.