Raymarine Evolution wheel pilot - what's it like standalone?

skirmisher

Visit site
Does anybody have experience of using the new Raymarine Evolution wheel pilot without it being connected to any other NMEA devices, totally standalone?
My old ST4000’s ‘brain’ has failed (water damage) and I’m weighing up whether to repair or replace it. The only other instruments I have are non-networked (Stowe) and work perfectly well so I don’t want to replace them.
I can live without sail to wind functionality, but it feels like boat speed through the water should be an important parameter for an autopilot to know. If it’s going to cripple the Evolution pilot not having it, I may as well stick with the old ST4000.
Thanks
David

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
It does what it says on the tin.

Mine is in fact networked to the (older) plotter but that's actually to use the Evolution fast heading sensor for MARPA on the plotter, the wheelpilot setup is not dependent on it (newer Raymarine plotters have more effective interfaces to the autopilot than my old classic C series and i don't bother with track mode etc anyway)

Slipperman

Visit site
I have recently fitted the Evolution EV 100 tiller pilot, also as a standalone although I have other Raymarine instruments. It seems to work fine - in the set up you tell it whether you are sail or power and set an average speed. I have only used it a few times but it seems to keep a very accurate course and 'auto-tacks' very efficiently.

On the other hand, if you think a repair is possible I now have a fully working ST4000+ control instrument and fluxgate compass. PM me if interested.

Pete7

Visit site
I have recently fitted the Evolution EV 100 tiller pilot, also as a standalone although I have other Raymarine instruments. It seems to work fine - in the set up you tell it whether you are sail or power and set an average speed. I have only used it a few times but it seems to keep a very accurate course and 'auto-tacks' very efficiently.

Agreed, but despite RM saying the Rudder Reference Unit being optional, it does make a big improvement when fitted, so don't scrimp on this item if fitting a new EV 100 system.

Buy a new system now whilst the dealers are having a thin time of it and then sell the bits of the old pilot off separately in the Spring when demand is high. What colour is the wheel drive, black or grey?

Jeanneau Chris

Visit site
I had a new ray marine wheel pilot fitted at the beginning of year and they didn’t mention the rudder reference. Apparently ray marine say it’s not required as the software can calculate the rudder position. Anyway I found the unit hunted all the time and was very jerky. After a bit of back and forth the company fitted a rudder reference and it’s a different world! I would definitely recommend getting one. Now very pleased with the unit.