Raymarine E120

Seastoke

Visit site
So my e120 in the saloon helm is working fine but on the fly I can not get a fix or a chart the same as the 120 . It is a E80 on the fly. I have unplugged all connections and replugged. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Seastoke

Visit site
If in the above drawing they. Talk via the sea talk hi speed cable ,where would I find the cross over coupler.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
If in the above drawing they. Talk via the sea talk hi speed cable ,where would I find the cross over coupler.
Somewhere between the two plotters, could literally be anywhere. There may not even be one.

I told you what to do in your other thread, let me recap; buy a Cat 5 crossover cable, long enough to connect between the two plotters. Maybe have to connect to the lower helm, chuck it out of the window and up to the flybridge, connect to the other plotter. No need for a crossover coupler if you use a crossover cable.

If it all works, it's the STHS cable/crossover coupler, route your new cable properly or swap a kidney with Raymarine for a new STHS cable. If it still doesn't work, it's something other than the cable, I suspect the cable.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
It's just ethernet, as PR says
You can skin the cat many ways
Including using a normal uncrossed cat 5 ethernet cable long enough to connect the two units, and putting a crossover couple on one of the ethernet plugs. Less than £5-£10 on amazon/ebay. The cross over thing doesn't have to be in the middle as shown in that picture. Or buy a crossed over cable. to connect the two units.
Typical of Raymarine to try to make things seem complex and proprietary, by calling simple ethernet "Sea Talk High Speed".

Seastoke

Visit site
Somewhere between the two plotters, could literally be anywhere. There may not even be one.

I told you what to do in your other thread, let me recap; buy a Cat 5 crossover cable, long enough to connect between the two plotters. Maybe have to connect to the lower helm, chuck it out of the window and up to the flybridge, connect to the other plotter. No need for a crossover coupler if you use a crossover cable.

If it all works, it's the STHS cable/crossover coupler, route your new cable properly or swap a kidney with Raymarine for a new STHS cable. If it still doesn't work, it's something other than the cable, I suspect the cable.
Hi Paul thanks for the reply ,I tried to get the rubber boot off the cable so I can unclip the rj45 but it is at a stretch and the boot won’t slide down the cable any ideas.

Seastoke

Visit site
Ok managed to take out one of the rj45 plugs and checked system it is still the same, so pointing to what Paul said ,if it stops pissing down I will try on the fly.

Seastoke

Visit site
So this morning in stalled a temp Ethernet cable , still no gps fix or no chart from the 120, this cable is the only cable linked to the main plotter apart from the power supply . Any ideas what I could do next. Thanks for all replies .SS

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Worth a rummage through the menus to see if you can manually set master/slave, failing that, back your user data up and try a factory reset on both.

Seastoke

Visit site
Done a factory reset , it's strange if input my card in the E80 and set as master the plptter does not see the charts

Seastoke

Visit site
Done reset ,no good what reason is that the e80 when I put my card in there it is not seeing it it is showing Miami

Seastoke

Visit site
Would also be simpler if there was only one thread, on one forum. Maybe ask the mods to merge them ?
Would also be simpler if there was only one thread, on one forum. Maybe ask the mods to merge them ?
It is connected to 120 , if I got another gps could I put that into the e 80 , as I always steer from the fly. And treat them as separate units

dunedin

Visit site
It is connected to 120 , if I got another gps could I put that into the e 80 , as I always steer from the fly. And treat them as separate units
I don’t think you should need a second GPS - as this should be able to be connected via the basic SeaTalk.
But you would need a second chart card. We ran a pair of older Raymarine plotters this way when the network connection failed - was cheaper to buy another chart card than the repair to the plotter.
Just watch as the chart card readers are a bit flimsy and easily damaged - so don’t take in and out too often,