Raymarine Axiom camera connection YAPP

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Not Yet another Pointless Project, but Yet Another Pointless Procedure - how to connect a generic security camera to a Raymarine Axiom display

Raymarine Axiom MFD's have a camera app installed which is designed to connect to a Raymarine camera like this...

CAM220IP-Camera-Dome.jpg

The problem is that it costs over £500, so with a bit of help from Google I found this article and thread...

Broad IP camera support, a Raymarine advantage

Raymarine uses the ONVIF camera protocol but the problem is that they use no authentication, and most cameras need that. To find a camera that uses ONVIF without authentication and is suitable for external use has been difficult (for the people on the thread, not me), but someone found one, and I got one. It costs only about £25 and is this one...

Gadinan-H-265-Ultra-HD-4K-POE-Camera-Face-Detect-Dome-Outdoor-8MP-5MP-Audio-IP.jpg_220x220q90.jpg_.webp

External security camera

This comes with ONVIF authentication on by default, but in the settings you can switch it off. To get to the settings you connect it to your router at home with an ethernet patch cable, then log in to the router from a computer on your home network to find the camera's IP address that has been assigned to the camera. Then on your computer type that IP address in a web browser. This opens a webpage with a settings tab. The settings are all in Chinese, but in Chrome you can right click and translate them to English. Find the ONVIF page, and untick authentication, then 'Keep'.

The Axioms only have a Raynet connection but this is ethernet in disguise with a different plug. You can buy or make a Raynet to standard ethernet plug cable. If you have more than 1 ethernet device to connect to your Axiom you need a switch. Raymarine does one like this...

HS5%20Network%20Switch%20Angled.jpg

but it's over £300. Any cheaper switch will do. You can buy them for about a tenner but at that price they're more suitable for your living room rather than a boat. I've got this industrial one because it's got a proper power connector rather than a push in plug, runs on 12V and can be mounted to a DIN rail or a bulkhead...

sw-005-5-port-10-100-ethernet-switch.jpg

SW-005 | Brainboxes Wall Mount Ethernet Switch, 5 RJ45 port | RS

This switch has standard ethernet sockets but you can cut a Raynet cable in half and crimp on your own plugs to make 2 cables. The crimper only costs £15 and the plugs a pound with a boot. They won't be as waterproof as Raynet connectors but should be OK in a protected area of a boat. If the plug fails it costs buttons and takes moments to attach a new one. I can make another YAPP (procedure, not project) on how to make the cables if anyone is interested.

Anyway, connect all that lot together, start the video app on the Axiom+, and the camera view comes up straight away. Here it is tested on my living room floor...

photo.jpg

I don't know if more than one camera connected simultaneously would work, but they're so cheap I might get one to try. It looks like on the panbo thread that the finish on the camera isn't great, so I'll have a spare.

Additional note 1: the camera needs 12V and there is a socket for a standard barrel plug. There's no hint in the instructions about polarity of this socket so I investigated inside, and it's the normal way round - centre pin positive. When (or if) I install this on my boat I'll snip off that connector and make a waterproof one. There's a separate connector for the ethernet cable which is waterproof.

Additional note 2: for the same price I can get a Power Over Ethernet camera where the camera's power goes down spare lines on the ethernet cable. I'll need a POE 12V injector to get power into the ethernet cable for about £5 but it will save running a power cable to the camera and overcome the problem of that non-waterproof power connector on my current camera.

Last edited:

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Great YAPP. One of the great things about the video App on Axxion is the ability for FLIR camera to aid MOB searching, especially at night. Would your YAPP work for such cameras, or even a night vision camera?

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Great YAPP. One of the great things about the video App on Axxion is the ability for FLIR camera to aid MOB searching, especially at night. Would your YAPP work for such cameras, or even a night vision camera?

It's the only non-Raymarine weatherproof camera that is known to work with the Axiom displays. I didn't discover it, I got it from the thread I linked to earlier.

Minerva

Visit site
That’s tremendous!

I presume getting a mast head one of these to integrate with something like OpenCPN / a tablet would be somewhat easier?

Solent Sailor

Visit site
Resurrecting this just to say thatI've done the same on the back of the same PANBO article. It wasn't too hard, and I used a different 2 cameras (one internal, one external). I'm about to add a third and link via a dedicated router for remote viewing. I did try with several other IP cams, and it took a few goes to find ones that worked - Amazon's free return service was a blessing.

There is a minor delay between switching from (say) the chart view and the camera view - almost as if the MFD "blinks" for a second - but then it is faultless and stutter free.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Resurrecting this just to say thatI've done the same on the back of the same PANBO article. It wasn't too hard, and I used a different 2 cameras (one internal, one external). I'm about to add a third and link via a dedicated router for remote viewing. I did try with several other IP cams, and it took a few goes to find ones that worked - Amazon's free return service was a blessing.

There is a minor delay between switching from (say) the chart view and the camera view - almost as if the MFD "blinks" for a second - but then it is faultless and stutter free.

I noticed the 'blink' as well. Which cameras did you get it working with? I'd be interested in trying others.

Solent Sailor

Visit site
I noticed the 'blink' as well. Which cameras did you get it working with? I'd be interested in trying others.
They were both Hosafe ones (God knows where they come up with these names). Appear to now be discontined, but I bought a couple of spares, just in case. Quite possible you'll find them elsewhere or under a different brand - I think a lot of things like this are repackaged/branded as required.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BX79C3N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1