Raymarine autohelm turning in circles ? Solar panel?

jane444blue

Visit site
Any ideas? I have a Raymarine P70s Autopilot. Had issues last year getting it set up, but got there with a deviation of 4°locked off. Worked happily all season, v pleased.
This year going in circles again. Deviation still locked. Spoke to Raymarine yesterday, v helpful, advised likely something changed nearby. Have checked and moved idiot stuff put in lockers after big sort out.
(Engine jump start stuff, electric out board battery etc. Everything we can find has been moved.Back to last years locker configuration.) Still an issue.
Only change now is solar panel on roof c80cm away and copper cable 2 x 2.5mm running by it.
Before I rip off my tidy solar install, could that be causing it? Any suggestions gratefully received.

srm

Visit site
Get a small magnetic compass (or hand bearing compass) and use it to test for any magnetic field around the solar installation. It should be a lot easier than removing the wiring.
Am a bit surprised if the heading sensor is in a locker. Its recommended to install it away from anything that might have a magnetic influence. In fact the easiest solution may be to find another location for the compass/heading sensor. Instructions are in the manual, probably under compass safe distance.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
What is the steering mechanism, hydraulic or electric motor.. I had this problem and it was the motor brushes. Once the slip ring, commutator was cleaned (the brushes were okay) it worked normally. That probably doesn’t explain the offset. Look for magnetic latch cases with iPads et cetera, screw driver heads, steel screws instead of stainless screws.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Any ideas? I have a Raymarine P70s Autopilot. Had issues last year getting it set up, but got there with a deviation of 4°locked off. Worked happily all season, v pleased.
This year going in circles again. Deviation still locked. Spoke to Raymarine yesterday, v helpful, advised likely something changed nearby. Have checked and moved idiot stuff put in lockers after big sort out.
(Engine jump start stuff, electric out board battery etc. Everything we can find has been moved.Back to last years locker configuration.) Still an issue.
Only change now is solar panel on roof c80cm away and copper cable 2 x 2.5mm running by it.
Before I rip off my tidy solar install, could that be causing it? Any suggestions gratefully received.
You don't need to rip it out, just place a towel over the solar to turn it off.

What Baggywrinkle said.

A bad connection, causing a split-second power loss can also cause it to lose its fix. Check them all, but first the plug.

jane444blue

Visit site
You don't need to rip it out, just place a towel over the solar to turn it off.

What Baggywrinkle said.

A bad connection, causing a split-second power loss can also cause it to lose its fix. Check them all, but first the plug.
Thanks. I've covered the panel and driven round in circles with my OH noting bearings on Raymarine and wet compass to give an idea of where the issue may be, as per supports guidance.
I'll go and check all connections tomorrow

jane444blue

Visit site
Get a small magnetic compass (or hand bearing compass) and use it to test for any magnetic field around the solar installation. It should be a lot easier than removing the wiring.
Am a bit surprised if the heading sensor is in a locker. Its recommended to install it away from anything that might have a magnetic influence. In fact the easiest solution may be to find another location for the compass/heading sensor. Instructions are in the manual, probably under compass safe distance.
It's only a 30ft boat and hard to find best place. But it worked fine there last year. Much head scratching atm

jane444blue

Visit site
It's where it worked fine last year - once we moved t he nearby speaker (and then took it out of the locker where for some reason I had stored it). She's an old 30ft boat, not much space anywhere.

jane444blue

Visit site
I'll try this too , tomorrow, and report

Reactions: srm

srm

Visit site
I have fitted two Raymarine autopilot systems, admittedly the last one in 2010 so the tech will have moved on. Both boats a little bigger than yours. 32ft and 35ft. I understand the problem of finding a good location, and I never got an ideal spot. My solution on both boats was to put the compass on a cabin bulkhead, the idea being that I could easily see if anything was placed too close.
At the moment @thinwater suggestion of checking all electrical connections is probably top of the list. I did have a bit of a problem with pushing thin wires into the connectors in the computer unit (do they still use them?).
Best of luck, hope its something nice and simple.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I have fitted two Raymarine autopilot systems, admittedly the last one in 2010 so the tech will have moved on. Both boats a little bigger than yours. 32ft and 35ft. I understand the problem of finding a good location, and I never got an ideal spot. My solution on both boats was to put the compass on a cabin bulkhead, the idea being that I could easily see if anything was placed too close.
At the moment @thinwater suggestion of checking all electrical connections is probably top of the list. I did have a bit of a problem with pushing thin wires into the connectors in the computer unit (do they still use them?).
Best of luck, hope its something nice and simple.
Different now, basically choc blocks with leaves in them.

Reactions: srm

RAFFY

Visit site
I had exactly this problem 2 years ago. It worked very well for the first season then the next season it started turning in circles when switched on. I tried all the things that you have tried convinced it was to do with magnetic interference.
However a chance conversation with a Raymarine technician prompted me to check the rudder drive positioning in the setup procedure. Somehow and I was not able to figure out why, the rudder direction had been reversed. I swapped it back and all has been well since. All that I can think is somehow the system had defaulted to a stock setup. I spent several weeks chasing a magnetic field reason before finding this.
The EV100 and P70 is a good piece of kit!

Daverw

Visit site
I'll try this too , tomorrow, and report
We had a problem when originally on cabin bulk head, moved it to mast compression post on a small wooden bracket, works very well and more stable control. Also out of the way from all stuff, as you said on a smallish location can be a challenge

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpeg
    IMG_0163.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

pioneer

Visit site
I had exactly this problem 2 years ago. It worked very well for the first season then the next season it started turning in circles when switched on. I tried all the things that you have tried convinced it was to do with magnetic interference.
However a chance conversation with a Raymarine technician prompted me to check the rudder drive positioning in the setup procedure. Somehow and I was not able to figure out why, the rudder direction had been reversed. I swapped it back and all has been well since. All that I can think is somehow the system had defaulted to a stock setup. I spent several weeks chasing a magnetic field reason before finding this.
This is worth a look, don't forget it's the RUDDER position not the tiller that needs to be confirmed in the set up dialogue

jane444blue

Visit site
Thanks, added to this mornings checklist

jane444blue

Visit site
UPDATE - NOW FIXED
Thankyou Raffy and Pioneer
After more emptying of cabin locker contents, measuring distances, checking connections, putting heads in sand etc we then looked at rudder direction (yes Pioneer its v confusing!!) And reset it - bingo. So more careful reorganising when replacing stuff , solar still disconnected ATM.
I can go off tomorrow single handed for the East Coast.
Raffy and Pioneer, don't know where you are but if you tell me boat names , I owe you a beer. I'm Orthops!

onesea

Visit site
I know the issues has been fixed however most people's phones have a compass of sorts in. I have an app on my android, "Magnetic". I have found quite handy when doing electrical type stuff near a compass.

jane444blue

Visit site
OK, will do. We did do this with the hh one we have and nothing startling found. It's on a bulkhead in a cabin locker far enough away from the keel. It's was fine last year