Raw water strainer question..

wipe_out

Visit site

pvb

Visit site
I'd go for the Osculati type (or similar model by Vetus, etc). One advantage of this type is that if you have a problem getting the raw water pump to prime, you can fill the strainer body with water to start it off.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The one issue with the smaller Osculati and Vetus type strainers is the screw on lid tends to jam on if not lubricated, the seal in place correctly and not too tight.

I have strainers with studs and wingnuts or finger nuts to clamp down the lid. Mine are flat perspex and so easy to replace if they get broken and cannot become too tight to undo a you can take a spanner to the wing nuts if necessary. Before anyone comments use an adjustable across the wings of the nuts or waterpump pliers across the finger nuts

FILTER525.png

Vetus Raw Water Strainer 525 Stainless Steel G1&#189" (Vetus FTR525)

pvb

Visit site
The one issue with the smaller Osculati and Vetus type strainers is the screw on lid tends to jam on if not lubricated, the seal in place correctly and not too tight.

I have strainers with studs and wingnuts or finger nuts to clamp down the lid. Mine are flat perspex and so easy to replace if they get broken and cannot become too tight to undo a you can take a spanner to the wing nuts if necessary. Before anyone comments use an adjustable across the wings of the nuts or waterpump pliers across the finger nuts

FILTER525.png

Vetus Raw Water Strainer 525 Stainless Steel G1&#189" (Vetus FTR525)

You're right, all the plastic strainer lids can get a bit stuck if they're not greased (silicone grease works best). But there are countless thousands of them giving sterling service. And they don't cost £600!

Yngmar

Visit site
Our Volvo (the black plastic cauldron type) just corroded through on the brass fittings (metal = bad), so I went for an all plastic Vetus one with transparent lid. First thing I did was apply silicone grease to the o-ring and lid threads and I expect this will work just fine, as it did on the Volvo cauldron. The plastic never was an issue, it's the metal bits that failed.

That cost me €103 including two-day delivery to a Greek chandlery. Wouldn't want to pay more for corroding metal bits. Also I now have a nice transparent plastic lid so I can see there's water flowing and when it's time to let the baby crabs out of the pot ?

Reactions: pvb

rogerthebodger

Visit site
You're right, all the plastic strainer lids can get a bit stuck if they're not greased (silicone grease works best). But there are countless thousands of them giving sterling service. And they don't cost £600!

yes just giving my opinion to the OP.

Its up to the OP to decide what he wants to use not you or I we should just give ove opinion fro our experience and let the OP decide.

As a long time Engineering designer I know very well that there are many way to design any piece of equipment and most will have advantages and disadvantages.

You have pointed out one of the disadvantages of my solution ans I have pointed out one of the disadvantages of your solution.

I am positive the OP can decide what suits his application the best.

This also demonstrates the potential problems when "professional" workmen get involved is that cost can be a bigger consideration than functionality. Its the used who has to suffer the consequences not the person who fitted the piece of equipment.

36046337726_849d5ea342_c.jpg

This is my inlet seacock, strainer and distribution manifold.

Some my say its over kill and they could be right but its how I wanted it done as it gives me lot as of flexibility as I can isolate each raw water supplies. I can also change over inlet strainers if one gets blocked. I cannot clean out the strainer while in use but that's not an issue for me as its on a sailing boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

wipe_out

Visit site
Thanks for the replies..

I see the plastic Vetus units have plastic strainers (vs the one linked that has a stainless steel strainer).. Is a plastic strainer robust enough to last?

rogerthebodger

Visit site

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Yes and it will probably have a maximum flow rate larger than necessary but it will do the job with spare capacity.

Again its an alternative for the OP choice.

My previous leisure sail had the same as I said it's somewhere in my workshop

Halo

Visit site
36046337726_849d5ea342_c.jpg

This is my inlet seacock, strainer and distribution manifold.

That manifold reminds me of Douglas Barder’s legs.

Yngmar

Visit site
I see the plastic Vetus units have plastic strainers (vs the one linked that has a stainless steel strainer).. Is a plastic strainer robust enough to last?

Yes, plenty. The original Volvo had a plastic strainer basket too and like all the plastic bits on it, it was still good after 20 years (assuming it was the original one). Only the brass fittings were crumbling away.