Raggies why do they leave their halyards banging

kcrane

Visit site
I'm sure you mean the shrouds - it avoids shimming up the mast to the spreaders but make sure you tie it off tight :)

and as for filling the mast with expanding foam ...:eek:

The foam would help with the righting motion if you turned over, so would be a safety feature

Elessar

Visit site
I dont mind raggies who blunder about the place safe in the knowledge that they always have right of way
I dont mind raggies who dont look where they are going after all looking around or under the jib is so difficult
I dont mind raggies who yell about your wash when you are doing five knots
But.....
There should be a special place in hell for lazy sailors who leave their main halyard banging against the mast. Whats so difficult about tying it to the end of the boom before you go home?

Like gulls, its a noise that tells me im on the boat. It is therefore a happy noise. Far easier to enjoy it than let it wind you up.

Though varas solution wins if you must :)

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
Drives me crazy. It's just a mixture of arrogance and ignorance. At one time I went from boat to boat with a roll of gaffer tape. Now I'm too old and tired so I just use earplugs. I am learning that deafness has its advantages.

l'escargot

Visit site
Drives me crazy. It's just a mixture of arrogance and ignorance. At one time I went from boat to boat with a roll of gaffer tape. Now I'm too old and tired so I just use earplugs. I am learning that deafness has its advantages.

How do you get to arrogance? It can be ignoarance - new boat owners or charterers perhaps who don't stay on board - but no one consciously leaves their own lines banging off the mast, it wears them out and I can assure you it is more likely to keep the occupant of the offending boat awake more than anyone else. I've been out in wind and rain in the middle of the night tying off my own lines when the weather has changed in the night - for my own benefit as much as anyone else's.

Sundowner Portofino

Visit site
+1 for filling the mast with foam, great idea.

Another good solution is duck tape and sikerflex, fixes most things around a boat I find. In this instance a liberal coating of sikerflex on the tape, pin line to a shroud (wire thingy that goes from top of mast to the deck) and wrap tape and flex around it.

you can even do multiple lines at once.

Trust me, they will not repeat the same mistake again.

If all else fails I have been told that whilst wind makes this noise, the tide does not, therefore if the mast is under water the problem should be solved.

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
How do you get to arrogance? It can be ignoarance - new boat owners or charterers perhaps who don't stay on board - but no one consciously leaves their own lines banging off the mast, it wears them out and I can assure you it is more likely to keep the occupant of the offending boat awake more than anyone else. I've been out in wind and rain in the middle of the night tying off my own lines when the weather has changed in the night - for my own benefit as much as anyone else's.

You are indeed a saint among sinners. Last year I asked a yottie who was leaving his boat in the boatyard if wouldn't mind securing his halyard before he left. At first he ignored me and when I persisted he gave me a mouthful about bl..dy noisy stinkpots spoiling his day. Now I show no mercy.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Easy, just keep the halyard(s) away from the mast using a bit of string to pull it/them toward the shrouds.
Dismasting the thing is also very effective, though. :D

If it were that easy we would all do it all the time. The problem is that even when you make the effort to frap them away from the mast, a small change of wind strength or direction or a slight loosening of the halliard tension due to vibration from the wind will set up the banging again, and again & again.

The only way is as mentioned earlier to remove BOTH ends of the halliard from cleat & sail & tie them away from the mast on a side rail or the boom end. Unfortunately there can be a dozen halliards (inc flag hoists, spinnaker & other sundry lines & spares which would take forever each night & morning. Please feel free to try, but don't let any tails fly free, they are a nightmare to recover again.

If you really can't stand the noise of other boats around (I hate loud chatter, radios & music) then simply anchor in a nice quiet remote cove somewhere as I do - I wouldn't go in a marina if they paid ME rather than the other way around.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
You are indeed a saint among sinners. Last year I asked a yottie who was leaving his boat in the boatyard if wouldn't mind securing his halyard before he left. At first he ignored me and when I persisted he gave me a mouthful about bl..dy noisy stinkpots spoiling his day. Now I show no mercy.

So if another ford driver carves you up you will hate all ford drivers will you? It's the same "logic", just more obviously stupid.

Violence simply begets more violence - Ghandi

Elessar

Visit site
So if another ford driver carves you up you will hate all ford drivers will you? It's the same "logic", just more obviously stupid.

Violence simply begets more violence - Ghandi

correct of course.

I disagree it's hard to frap though, bungy with hooks on from the halyard to the shroud does the job, if not 100% certainly 95.

The noise still doesn't bother me though.

l'escargot

Visit site

Not a saint amongst sinners, like most people I like a peaceful night - but for you I could probably make an exception...

MapisM

Visit site
If it were that easy we would all do it all the time.
Well, in my experience it is that easy, and in spite of that many folks never do it.
I'm not saying that the trick is good enough for any sort of gale force wind, but it always worked for me so far.
Including the last time I did that, which is just one week ago - and the piece of string is still doing its job just fine.

Oh, and I also prefer to overnight at anchor, rather than in a marina.
But when I'm in a marina, I don't see why I shouldn't invest 3 minutes of my time to avoid being bothered with the noise day and night... :)

Spi D

Visit site
I'm sure you mean the shrouds - it avoids shimming up the mast to the spreaders but make sure you tie it off tight :)

Eh.. this was what I meant:
30-07-2013 08-03-10.jpg

When, as here, the end of the halyard is tucked away, it is as good as adding strings.

Sorry for the delay, had to go and take a photo

maby

Visit site
I think part of the trouble is that we simply don't notice. I woke up in the middle of the night a week or so ago and could hear halyards banging (not mine, of course) - I found it restful and went back to sleep very quickly.

akyaka

Visit site
Eh.. this was what I meant:
View attachment 34060

When, as here, the end of the halyard is tucked away, it is as good as adding strings.

Sorry for the delay, had to go and take a photo

Yes round the shroud. Wouldn't fancy this as over time the rope may "saw" through also difficult to fully tension the rope. Much better to tie off with a small piece of rope fixed on the shroud - its done me for over 30 years and enables the rope to have a final tensioning and eliminate frap.