Radio problem

doug748

Visit site
When I press to speak on my VHF it blanks the screen and does not transmit. The radio receives as normal and I have a feeling the set is not the problem.
Could it be power supply or maybe poor aerial connection?

William_H

Visit site
As said power supply problem. Try a wire direct from battery positive to radio positive and likewise for negative. Make sure of course that battery is OK under load. Try lights etc. ol'will (probably bad in line fuse connections)

Refueler

Visit site
Has anyone tried transmitting when antenna not connected ? That can fry the TX RF section and then that's it - radios for the bin. It will RX - but not TX ..

Worth trying the direct battery connection to see if its cabling problem ... but if its no good on 1W ... then likely naffed.

mikegunn

Visit site
I had a similar problem, intermittently. Radio worked fine on 1W but not always on max power. Returned set to Icom who found it to be free from fault. Discussed the perceived fault with an Icom engineer who suggested I re-examine my boat’s wiring and pay particular attention to the relevant fuse holder. He was spot-on! The fuse holder had relaxed its grip on the cartridge fuse, revealed by signs of arcing both on the fuse and the springclips. Replacement of the fuse holder cured the problem.
Mike

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Has anyone tried transmitting when antenna not connected ? That can fry the TX RF section and then that's it - radios for the bin. It will RX - but not TX ..

Specific
No, that may happen with non-marine radios, but technical specifications for maritime use approval require transmitting radios to be protected from both short circuit or antenna being absent.

Refueler

Visit site
No, that may happen with non-marine radios, but technical specifications for maritime use approval require transmitting radios to be protected from both short circuit or antenna being absent.

OK .. but Radio Manuals still tell you NOT to do it ...

Here's Standard Horizon as example ... a regularly recc'd VHF Marine radio on these very Forums ...

Attachments

• SH antenna.jpg
    SH antenna.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 6