racing

barebones

Visit site
I saw an article last year reference, cruiser racing without having to strip your boat down to the last ounce of superfluous equipment, can anyone please forward info on this topic.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Successful racing of any boat always seems to revolve around several things - in no particular order:

Careful boat prep - clean & smooth bottom, good sails, hardware that works easily and never jams, etc
Good crew work - sails go up and down quickly, tacks are never missed, kite gets gybed without wrapping
Pointing it the right way - it's surprising when you're on a race track how many different ways boats will go to get from A to B.
Know every wrinkle of the tide and take every advantage you can
A good handicap - get measured, then look at how you can improve the rating by making changes, make the changes and get measured again*
The ability to spot wind shifts coming and get in a position to benefit from them
A driver who knows the boat and is a good sailor
A good start, and the ability to get in the right place relative to other boats at the corners of the course
The ability to push the boat harder than you would when cruising
Knowledge of the rules
Get unnecessary weight out of the boat (but not if it has been 'measured')
Probably lots of other stuff as well.

*Jeremy Rodgers sailing a Contessa 26 won the Roman Gold Bowl* last year by 7 seconds on corrected time, in competition with some very serious heavy racing metal. He had his genoa remeasured shortly before the race which reduced his handicap. If the handicap had remained as it was he would have lost by 30 seconds on corrected time.

*Roman Gold Bowl - the overall winner's trophy for the Round the Island race. (Sorry if this is sucking eggs)

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

qsiv

Visit site
The weight issue is often the real kicker in cruiser racing. We took two tonnes of weight off the boat before a significant race last year.

When you take all the excess kit off and put it on the pontoon it is quite scary how quickly it all adds up. We had 300 Kg of warps (dry). We had to leave a lot of kit on as I was cruising back with the family, but even so a lot stayed ashore.

The rating (IRC) will be based on an empty boat - that is no books, CD's fenders, warps, anchors, fuel water, crockery, sails, ensign staff. Just the hull, the engine, fixed furniture, cushions that will be onboard when racing and running rigging rove through fittings on the mast (headsail sheets, spinnaker sheets, guys all come off). Everything that you put back on board slows you down - not by much, but adding up lots of little items makes a difference. To visualise it, put all the kit in marina carts and wheel it to and fro - you'll soon realize how much energy is used moving weight around.

We now have a new post on board (after the snacktician who plays a key role on longer races) of OWN. OWN? Official Weight Nazi - he vetted kit bags as they came aboard and required explanations for gratuitous items.

<hr width=100% size=1>

burgundyben

Visit site
Ken's right, about 4 years ago I was racing mid field respectably in the HRSC winter series, after three weeks we spent a day tacking and gybing the boat up and down the solent, all bloody day, hundreds of em, next race top 4 and stayed right up there for the whole series.

also as qsiv sez, reduce all the crap people bring on board, I sometimes race on an ultra light half tonner and its sawn off toothbrushes!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Wanted - Austin Healey 110/6 or 3000 to rebuild, LHD considered.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
On weight and measured weight

To get an IRC cetificate the boat has to be weighed. If it's weighed empty, all well and good, but if it's weighed with kit and stores aboard, then they have to be abaord when racing or someone will protest you as soon as you start doing better than expected and spoiling their race series.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>