R35/F33 Am I the only one...

MapisM

Visit site
Pete, does that mean that Fairline follow closely the mobo forum or was it you that asked?
I see a third alternative, V: it might be someone at FL, cleverly disguised as Coustea1, that started this thread.... :cool:

MapisM

Visit site
Was this fixed ?
I understand your train of though, PF.
You wouldn't expect a builder to introduce a new boat with such visible defect even if they were in a rush, etc.
But let's be honest: that's totally irrelevant in practice, because it's obvious that you'd never find it in a boat actually delivered to a client.

If I should really comment your pic, it's rather the rubbing stroke which I find disappointing.
You could find better off-the-shelf stuff just browsing the Osculati website, ffs! :ambivalence:

D

Deleted User YDKXO

The problem with comparative tests is that one of them will have to come out as a loser. I can't imagine MBY wanting to upset either company ;)

Correct. Not a good idea to piss off one of your best and most loyal advertisers so best not to risk that by doing comparative tests or even making unfavourable remarks about their products

When was the last time you saw a critical boat test in any boating magazine? Test is the wrong word

MrB

Visit site
There’s a reason why ( moving up 3 /4 M ) the Aston and Merc AMG ,s things near £1M bombed .As good dynamically they were real or perceived.

I don't think the Merc AMG boats "Bombed" they are a different class all together. They paired up with Cigarette and I personally think they are awesome. What's not to like with the 515 and 41.......140mph?:ambivalence:

Coustea1

Visit site
I see a third alternative, V: it might be someone at FL, cleverly disguised as Coustea1, that started this thread.... :cool:

No no no sir...no connection to either brand.

Talking about whether it is "worth" the difference in price: first of all it's difficult to use that word in the context of boating :)
My point was to get a sense for how different the two boats are, given that they seem to target the same kind of boating program. I can see that the a carbon fibre construction and the AFS system simply cost more, but I wanted to get an idea of whether in real life you would feel the difference in sea keeping, comfort or whatever other criteria you use. Again, both are sterndrive, both are open day boats, both have roughly the same lenght and are launched around the same time....but are excuted differently.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
I understand your train of though, PF.
You wouldn't expect a builder to introduce a new boat with such visible defect even if they were in a rush, etc.
But let's be honest: that's totally irrelevant in practice, because it's obvious that you'd never find it in a boat actually delivered to a client.

Are you sure about that? As I saw worse, or it was a tongue on check reply. I had two occasions in my life where a new 2009 Fairline Squadron 55 started sinking because they did not seal the trim tabs screws, and another similar story with an Azimut 58 who was not sinking but was making water from the same thing.

On another note with things like this being sure to happen sometimes it all is how the builder fixes things. I managed a Phantom 43 in Fairline golden years 2003 to 05, and from new the boat had one of the two AC units (the one for the cabins) not working. Two years down the line we where still fighting who the fix this thing with the builder playing tennis with the dealer and vice versa. This AC unit never worked from new. The owner ended up fixing this himself. The boat also came with a small crazed non slip which was advised and never fixed by Fairline.

Portofino

Visit site
The princess has been out over 12 months .FL just debuted .
So there should be some real hard sales figures floating about .
Obviously there’s gonna be a small initial hump at the start we “ I must have one now at all costs “ boat show impulsive buys to kick start sales .The same with those Merc and Aston boats they will make a few to order .
But the point is are the Princess and FL sales going to be commercially viable ?
They will have a notional break even point .
If not it’s a lot of fat to carry for show glamour .Indeed at Genoa the FL looked unloved and anonymous in the rest of the company/ exhibition.
FL probably will break even on its maths / sales and start hopefully a successful new range .
Princess I,am not sure of the maths seem a bit aspirational like the Merc and Aston .
You see it’s finding enough people who are prepared to cross that mental barrier to spend [ comparatively huge ] that kinda money on that kind of product .
Thinking Hunton .
Mr B quoted the top speed of one , but hanging your hat on one stat does not necessarily how ever impressive translate into a commercial viable product .eg Bugatti never makes money .It just VAG play thing .How ever there’s a massive difference in the T/ O and R+D budgets , W W sales dealer networks the whole shooting match between VAG com and any one of theses boat builders .
I don’t think there’s enough fat on the goose in building boats to have a “ plaything “ crowd puller at shows .
Bearing in mind the FL categorically did not pull anyone, not a single person at Genoa .
So it’s gotta pay it way and it’s priced better then the Princess.

@cousteau 1 point , to feel the CF difference of the priny is it worth paying for on the water ? A tangible £ 2/250K difference , is it worth the extra in real life use age? Etc etc .
Well there isn’t a CHF 2.2million different feel on the road from a Ferrari / Lamborghini @ CHF 2,2 hundred thousand if jump into Bugatti the Bugatti here listed at CHF 2.4 M Is the extra 2 million worth it.No ! Waste of money driving wise .
And a lot of Chiron parts feel and look Bentley and Porsche hardly surprising .
So on the Princess the engines drives , nav gear , seat covers , teak it’s gonna feel similar to the £2/2.5 hundred K cheaper FL.
At this size and weight and with rear weight bias I think they both will bounce about in a seaway of any notable size ......after 30 mins guests will wanna slow down kinds obfuscating the speed thing .

Portofino

Visit site
Are you sure about that? As I saw worse, or it was a tongue on check reply. I had two occasions in my life where a new 2009 Fairline Squadron 55 started sinking because they did not seal the trim tabs screws, and another similar story with an Azimut 58 who was not sinking but was making water from the same thing.

On another note with things like this being sure to happen sometimes it all is how the builder fixes things. I managed a Phantom 43 in Fairline golden years 2003 to 05, and from new the boat had one of the two AC units (the one for the cabins) not working. Two years down the line we where still fighting who the fix this thing with the builder playing tennis with the dealer and vice versa. This AC unit never worked from new. The owner ended up fixing this himself. The boat also came with a small crazed non slip which was advised and never fixed by Fairline.

I’ll shuffle across a bit and make room on the naughty step :):):)
Welcome W.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
My lord that is terrible.

Tell you another thing. I saw an Itama and do you know what they could not be bothered to fit side rails. Wow I hope they took it back to the factory and fixed it ASAP.

Once you walk the deck of an Itama cause of its flash form you understand it is really not needed.
Just look and understand that a standard sport cruiser or motor yacht once you go on the upper part of the deck, that part is most of the time the same height as the railings.
But anyways if one is bothered it could be made in all models, even retro fitted. Not that I would want one on an Itama!
I think it is important that if you do not understand the brand (or want to), and what it is, sometimes it is better not to say anything.

Anyways lets continue this thread, which will never happen cause Princess has a big disadvantage (price and complicated), and Fairline would win hands down.
The F-33 with all defects teak sealer included is a simple deep Vee sport cruiser slash runabout.
Currently Princess is paying more bills to YBW, then Fairline could.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Correct. Not a good idea to piss off one of your best and most loyal advertisers so best not to risk that by doing comparative tests or even making unfavourable remarks about their products

When was the last time you saw a critical boat test in any boating magazine? Test is the wrong word

They always used to have comparative test in the magazines. Has something really changed to affect this? Let's say YBW announce an overall winner, is the losing manufacturer really going to pull his ads from the magazine?

I hope Princess are up for this but I suspect that they'll be reluctant because the extra cost of the technology that they've built into the R35 is rather hard to justify.

Furthermore, from what I've read to date, the F33 seems to be quicker than the R35 which is remarkable considering boat boats have the same engines, an almost identical hull length and the R35 is made of carbon fibre. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
What would be more interesting to read would be an interview or summation of a day at the respective factory’s talking to the major shakers , movers and influencers of them both and S/Sker hawk as well .
You could publish one per month with at the end some quick fire questions, the same for each boat .
Then leave the reader to interpret as he / she wants .
That way there’s no looser inference or winner for that matter but enough comparison material for readers to form there own private judgment.

A top speed shoot out or acceleration to planing or L / hr numbers as meaningless as publishing the sticker price differentials and then pretending it’s a meaningful comparison just because they happen to be the same L .

MapisM

Visit site
Next available build slot on the Fairline was, 3 weeks ago, #28.
Wow. My guesstimate of the demand for these toys was obviously very wrong, otherwise they would be gaining a 300% market share... :D

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Wow. My guesstimate of the demand for these toys was obviously very wrong, otherwise they would be gaining a 300% market share... :D

Mmm, how many of these build slots are actual customer orders and how many are dealer stock boat orders? My guess is that Fairline, having been pressurised by their dealers to re-enter this sector of the market, have told their dealers now put your money where your mouth is and order at least one unit for your stock. And if Fairline said that every one of those 28 slots were customer orders, I'm not sure I'd believe them because they have been as guilty as other manufacturers in the past of overstating their sales success after exhibitions. Its not only in the boating industry that happens:rolleyes: