Quick poll

nortada

Visit site
While the boat advice is good, has anyone given any thought to the possibility that , in a little over a year, the UK may well be
a ' third country ' as far as the EU is concerned.

That means that UK citizens will only be allowed to stay in the Schengen zone for a maximum of 90 days in any period of
6 months. That means that if you stay in the Schengen zone for 90 days, you will have to leave for 6 months before returning.

For those in the Med, that means becoming familiar with Turkey or North Africa for 6 months at a time. For those in Europe, it will mean returning to the UK. ( or maybe Russia if you are in the Baltic )

My advice, for what it's worth, is to wait until Brexit happens before committing to a liveaboard lifestyle in Europe. At least you
will know what travel restrictions you will have to deal with.

I keep my boat in the Netherlands, where I am a summer liveaboard. Currently deciding whether or not to bring the boat back
next year or take the chance that there will be no problems with local bad feeling and bring it back in 2019. Either way, short of a miracle, the boat will have to come back to the UK.

Andy

An interesting post but as said in many other places, until the detail becomes apparent, speculation can be both distressing and rather pointless.

Cultural differences is something I find rather interesting. As Brits we are generally law abiding and try to live by the rules but is is my experience that others are not the same.

So whatever the outcome of Brexit and Brussels's subsequent rulings, I think it unlikely the Southern European Nations will act against their national interest and discourage cash rich visitors or enforce strict rules on time in-country. Already, largely, the status quo.

Rather, to ensure the survival of their local economies, as is now, they will continue to turn the Nelsonian Eye.

Could be wrong but to be specific, in the Algarve, the alternative would lead to a mass exodus of property owning expats and a crash of the economy.

It is important to appreciate, rather than the boating community, who can relatively easily locate, my observations are directed to the land owning community, whose departure would also have a big impact on the holiday industry.

Whatever the rulings, in practical terms, I just don't see this happening.

Last edited:

ANDY_W

Visit site
With reference to my point about access to the Schengen area, I agree that some of the southern european countries are likely
to be less stringent in applying the rules. However, as a result of Brexit, I suspect that some pressure will be brought to bear on those countries by the EU to ensure that Brits do not receive more favourable treatment than other ' third countries'.

It should be borne in mind that Schengen applies to the Azores, Madeira and the Canaries.

Even if the intention is to travel further west, weather and maintenance delays could lead to an interesting situation.

Andy

dslittle

Visit site
Do it. We have now made it ALL the way to North Brittany after three years!!! We have found that we are actually spending less on board than we would at home (generally). The biggest surprise was how cheaply we could winter the boat by looking around. We do have good pensions so that makes life easier. Depending on where you intend to cruise and how much time you spend in Marinas will influence your budget. Our 'best' stop was €10 a night on a pontoon with water and (card) leccy - obviously anchoring is free (well, away from the South Coast it is!!!). If I was on my own I think that I could manage quite comfortably on £1000 a month.
We have never been asked for any paperwork but it would be sensible to bring yourself up to speed and get a bonus ICC...
We have maintained a U.K. link which I think is sensible given the current uncertainty but in reality I can't see Europe being too draconian.
My Mother now lives in Spain and is one of about 3000 ex Pats there (her area not the whole of Spain) who pretty much all go out for Menu del Dia once a day. At about €10 a head, that is A LOT of money for the local economy to lose. Additionally I very much doubt the the U.K. could afford to have her back (and the other 2999...) so I am sure that some mutual arrangements will be made. However that isn't/shouldn't be your concern
Enjoy it while you can.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I posted these costs earlier in the year. IMO you can with planning comfortably manage on 1000euro a month.

Okay
I have been tied up to a town quay for the last month with water and within a 1\2 hour drive of an airport, for free for the last month ,I do have my own car and small motorbike so there are plenty of places to visit near and further away .
Last night I spent a very pleasant hour talking about Greek politics with the Sargent of the portpolice\ coastguard boat that is moored next to me.

As regard costs, I visited the local supermarket on Fri. I bought
Fri
1 kilo is potatoes @ 45 cents per kilo
1-kilo bag of carrots @ 65cents per kilo
I bag of spinach @ 1.65€
A 600g piece of frozen cod @ 7.5€ per kilo.
1\2 kilo of white wine 1.67€

Saturday
Some of the potatoes
Some onions @ 60 cents per kilo.
Mushroom @ 1.65 for 400 g
A 400 g piece of what looked like and tasted ribeye steak 3.75€
A 1.5 kilo bottle of nice Syrah @ 5€. Non of the cheap stuff for me

Last night
A nice pork chop about 350 g for 2.40€
Some of the onions.
Some of the potatoes
Some of the carrots
Some of the mushrooms
And the last of the spinach.
Washed down with the last of the red wine.

The temp in the day was high twenties dropping to about 22* at supper time.

Forgot to mention the same Port police man is also the police diver and will put down a iron mooring for me for 1100 € and look after the boat through the winter.

I will let you work out the costs .

NBs

Visit site
While the boat advice is good, has anyone given any thought to the possibility that , in a little over a year, the UK may well be
a ' third country ' as far as the EU is concerned.

That means that UK citizens will only be allowed to stay in the Schengen zone for a maximum of 90 days in any period of
6 months. That means that if you stay in the Schengen zone for 90 days, you will have to leave for 6 months before returning.

For those in the Med, that means becoming familiar with Turkey or North Africa for 6 months at a time. For those in Europe, it will mean returning to the UK. ( or maybe Russia if you are in the Baltic )

My advice, for what it's worth, is to wait until Brexit happens before committing to a liveaboard lifestyle in Europe. At least you
will know what travel restrictions you will have to deal with.

I keep my boat in the Netherlands, where I am a summer liveaboard. Currently deciding whether or not to bring the boat back
next year or take the chance that there will be no problems with local bad feeling and bring it back in 2019. Either way, short of a miracle, the boat will have to come back to the UK.

Andy

Hi,

I can be wrong, but as far as I know, every EU country has its own time limit for visits to another EU citizen ranging from a few months to one year, so check this outhttp://europa.eu/youreurope/. In addition, I think it is enough to switch to another country, no need to return home. Bring your chosen brexes will certainly mess up things.

NBs

Last edited:

GrahamM376

Visit site
Hi,

I can be wrong, but as far as I know, every EU country has its own time limit for visits to another EU citizen ranging from a few months to one year, so check this outhttp://europa.eu/youreurope/. In addition, I think it is enough to switch to another country, no need to return home. Bring your chosen brexes will certainly mess up things.

NBs

Normally, a visitor can stay for 90 consecutive days in a 180 day period but then has to leave for 90 days before the clock restarts but it's possible to get visas for longer stays. Some countries have reciprocal agreements for longer stays IIRC up to 12 months.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Normally, a visitor can stay for 90 consecutive days in a 180 day period but then has to leave for 90 days before the clock restarts but it's possible to get visas for longer stays. .

There is a gotcha, you have to apply for the visa in advance of visiting and give dates. I remember reading this in Noonsite some time ago. A US citizen on a US flagged boat was trying unsuccessfully to get one. He kept banging his head into officials who knew nothing.

madtam

Visit site
I wrote a longish post explaining bits and commenting on others, only to find when I tried to post that I had been logged out and the message was lost.

Will start again shortly when I have a bit more time.

RAI

Visit site
Of course we must wait and see but if things stay as they are in then current Brexit draft agreement for expats then, after Brexit, UK citizens might well need a Schengen visa, or something like it. The 90 days is fine for tourists and business visits.
For those with property in Spain (say), if they apply for residence in Spain before the cut-off date, they can benefit from the Brexit agreement for expats.
Those of us living on boats have a different problem, we need to borrow an address in Spain (in this example), if we want to apply for permanent residence there. Whether a marina address will work is a question. It seems ok for residencia and fiscal numbers, in places, but is that going to be enough? Let's hope so.
Getting an Irish passport might be the best solution for many.

nortada

Visit site
From The Horse’s Mouth‼️

There is a gotcha, you have to apply for the visa in advance of visiting and give dates. I remember reading this in Noonsite some time ago. A US citizen on a US flagged boat was trying unsuccessfully to get one. He kept banging his head into officials who knew nothing.

Asked the current crop of none EU visitors (some US, others European) in Lagos and they advised they just pitched up and then applied for a 90 day visa, which they will be able to extend by a further 90 days.

I also understand another ruse, although not in France, they appled to France for an EU visa, which permited them to stay in Portugal for 6 months.

Some of these folk bog off to Gib for a couple of days and that appears to re-start the clock.

I would anticipate Post Brexit, unless there is a special deal, UK citizens would operate under the same rules.

Funny old world.

Last edited:

GrahamM376

Visit site
Those of us living on boats have a different problem, we need to borrow an address in Spain (in this example), if we want to apply for permanent residence there. Whether a marina address will work is a question. It seems ok for residencia and fiscal numbers, in places, but is that going to be enough? Let's hope so.

Some years ago before we owned property there and just living on the boat in Portugal, I applied for residence. The whole thing was quite funny as I used my sister in law's address but had to take 2 witnesses to swear that I lived there. One was an aged aunt with alzheimers who just repeated what we told her, the other was a neighbour who would say anything for a free lunch:)

RAI

Visit site
What effect will having an Irish passport have? Do you not need to be an Irish resident?
Irish citizens will remain Europeans after Brexit, so no change in situation for them. Getting an Irish passport seems to be quite straight forward, if one has Irish relations. I don't think residency is required.

madtam

Visit site
Didn't realise it was 2 years since I posted this !

Handed in my notice earlier this week. This follows a few issues with work and isn't exactly how I wanted things to finish. I might yet consider a claim for constructive dismissal but wanting to look forwards and be positive rather than backwards with bad feeling.
I have also been doing some window shopping and have spotted a 36 footer in Gibralter that whilst in some ways isn't what I first had in mind. It has some attractions and is anyway at a rather attractive cost for what it is.
Noting some of the previous comments I am considering the ICC and will be looking to at least get the radio cert. The intention is to retain a UK address and asset so that I do have a return option of some sort. I have a small nest egg available for initial refurb/refit and starter fund, with a better idea of the sort of monthly sum I can work with. In addition my parents are not getting any younger and I will probably have to return at some point in the not too distant future to sort out their estate which will leave me (and siblings) with a small legacy (some of which will be made immediately available for my own children). I am currently in touch with a former pensions adviser regarding poor advice I (and others) received around 15 years ago with regard to leaving a former company scheme. The first effect of this is that a former colleague has received an offer of just over £55K in compensation, so I am hopeful of another top up to funds sometime next year.

I guess I just have to now commit to, and carry out my half made plans in order to move on.

nortada

Visit site
Didn't realise it was 2 years since I posted this !

Handed in my notice earlier this week. This follows a few issues with work and isn't exactly how I wanted things to finish. I might yet consider a claim for constructive dismissal but wanting to look forwards and be positive rather than backwards with bad feeling.
I have also been doing some window shopping and have spotted a 36 footer in Gibralter that whilst in some ways isn't what I first had in mind. It has some attractions and is anyway at a rather attractive cost for what it is.
Noting some of the previous comments I am considering the ICC and will be looking to at least get the radio cert. The intention is to retain a UK address and asset so that I do have a return option of some sort. I have a small nest egg available for initial refurb/refit and starter fund, with a better idea of the sort of monthly sum I can work with. In addition my parents are not getting any younger and I will probably have to return at some point in the not too distant future to sort out their estate which will leave me (and siblings) with a small legacy (some of which will be made immediately available for my own children). I am currently in touch with a former pensions adviser regarding poor advice I (and others) received around 15 years ago with regard to leaving a former company scheme. The first effect of this is that a former colleague has received an offer of just over £55K in compensation, so I am hopeful of another top up to funds sometime next year.

I guess I just have to now commit to, and carry out my half made plans in order to move on.

Best of luck with your adventure.

jezjez

Visit site
I'm not sure the figures usually add up before you take a leap of faith. If I were you I'd concentrate on the adventure. Money seems to be less important when you're making things happen. And you can always get a bar job here and there to help you along. That can also be a part of the adventure. Who knows who you'll meet?
As they say, as you lie on your death bed looking back, you are NOT going to think to yourself 'I wish I hadn't gone on that crazy, damn-fool adventure with very little money and just a dream of a better life.' No, you're going to chuckle to yourself and say 'wow, that was hairy! I remember that storm in Biscay and the time I ran out of money in... and that night we laughed until dawn, what a ride! Boy, am I glad I chose to live more!'
(...and worry about my insurance policies less).
Have a good one.
Here's a good poem that might help: 'When I am an old woman I shall wear purple,' by Jenny Joseph.
Having said all that, long distance sailing, imho, is better in company. But that's a personal choice.