Question for sailaboutvic⁹

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Let's say you didn't sail a huge over 40 foot luxery yacht but instead a 33 foot basic cruiser. You wanted to sail from the Greek Ionian to the Canaries via Gibraltar. You decided to use roadsteads and anchor because you were single handed and wanted to avoid hassle and official contact.

Which way would you go? Sail South of Sicily via Malta, or North of Sicily via Messina. Southern Sardina is a no-brainer for anchoring but what then. The Balearics or direct to (say) Almerimar in Spain or Gibraltar. This will be high season so Marinas would be expensive so another reason to use roadsteads.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this. Or perhaps anyone elses thoughts who has sailed even a part of this course. I plan to take three weeks depending on calms and winds etc. Thanks.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I feel that I should know this; alas, I have no idea what or who a "roadstead" might be? Please enlighten me, TIA
Roadsteads were used often in the days of sail before engines . They were well known and used often to halt the boat and just sit and wait for the conditions to improve during foul tides, head winds, etc. Force Majour was applied to avoid clearing in and out and avoid tolls on cargo. I guess Gibraltar was the most famous roadstead to combat the currents in the Strait. Tranona said the same thing in fewer words but without the romance of former sensible days. I think Tranona would know if roadsteading was still quite legal.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
WateFirst my old mate ket me say the +40 luxury sailing yacht days have gone wr now have a much smaller 36 foot .

Soa your question personally I head for the north of sicily ,
There several good anchorages and should you find that the acy weather goingyo blow from the North head out to Lipari or Vulcano where you find protection from Northern,
Then head back to the N Sicily coast .

A crossing from San Vilo is about 160 day night and day ,
Long solo sail but I sure you manage it , you have the experience.
On the south Sardinia coast there lots of anchorages,
From all wind just a matter of moving around.
I going to stop here not because I can't advise you any more , but the last time we was in the Baleares was over 13 years ago and I do not want to put you wrong.
As far as the Info so far don't worry about official even in the high of covid when everyone where stuck in marinas we where sailing tho sea and never was bother by any ,
That not to say they wasn't about .
Last time we had contact with Italian officials was two year ago in Siracusa and then they where only interested in ship papers and insurance.

Now we are in contact with two cruisers who now left the Baleares one in Gib now anchored the other is have way across two the CI both and anchors cruisers and don't use marinas nether has said they had any problem .

We don't like the southern Spain coast and once 2e get to Caple we would just make straight to Gib but as I sure you know we are two and we happy doing long sails .

Best of luck my old mate ,
We on some staging in Zealand in the inland waters chilling .

Vic

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It's any help I know one guy anchored in Mahon for serval nights
,San Jordi Camos,
LLA Gavina , just outside SANT Antoni ,
He cross and anchored out side Calpe harbour , next near cartagena on the Cape fro there
Cala bahia del Hornillo, he then had a break in the marina in almeramer before an over nighter to Gib and anchored on the spainsh side .
We know most of these and as long tge conditions are OK there good spots,
It's second hand info but we know the cruiser well .

Yngmar

Visit site
Mahon anchorage (Cala Teulada) is mad and the RIB always comes to hand out marina flyers and tell everyone they can only stay two nights. If you want peace and not get bothered, go into Cala Addaia on the north side. All around shelter. Don't feed the ducks or they'll come knock on your hull at dawn and demand you do it again.

Then daysails across to Mallorca, plenty anchorages on all sides, check swell forecast to pick a side. Ibiza same, from there you can hop to Denia (rocky anchorage around the cape south of it), Mar Menor (unfinished marina outside, or inside the bridge). Then Almerimar and Gib. There's hardly any shelter on the Costa del Sol, only open anchorages, which can be done in calm weather but you'll roll anyways from all the shipping traffic, so might as well spend the sleepless night sailing west! :)

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Many thanks Vic and Yngmar. North Coast of Sicily is now my choice. That was the decision I was most concerned about, so its really good to have a solid destination to aim for during my escape from Greece. Also thanks for the extended advice about Sardinia and Mahon. I have installed an extra diesel tank from Cleopatra to take my total to 115 litres, not because I actually think I need the extra but I have sounded off too much about skippers who carry canisters on deck tied to the guard rails that I felt a bit of a hypocrit doing the same. I may dump it in Spain or Canaries though because it takes up space not intended for a built in tank. I should keep my prejudices to myself because they are sure to return and bite me when I need to do the same.

Aries installed, Water tanks cleaned, No hurry, I want to to time my arrival in the Straits for September/October. Back to cruising A to B rather than A then back to A.

Thanks for the excellent advice.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
My god you real going to leave Greece , :)?
How many years have you been planning that?
Funny how our plains change, I never in a million year tho I be back in Northern Europe and here we are in the Netherlands,
Even more surprising in land waters ,
Although it's quite ok , we manage to sail some days in between traffic,
Another few weeks then we probably had enough and head to Denmark before the weather change where Christine always wanted to go .
Good luck with the trip and keep in touch .

BurnitBlue

Visit site
My god you real going to leave Greece , :)?
How many years have you been planning that?
Funny how our plains change, I never in a million year tho I be back in Northern Europe and here we are in the Netherlands,
Even more surprising in land waters ,
Although it's quite ok , we manage to sail some days in between traffic,
Another few weeks then we probably had enough and head to Denmark before the weather change where Christine always wanted to go .
Good luck with the trip and keep in touch .
Ouch. Guilty on all counts. I am actually embarrased when I recall my brave words about sailing away from Greece. Must add up to at least four years of armchair daring do. Every year I gave myself a hard time wondering why I was still here.

Glad to see you exploring a new area. I have transited Baltic to Med three times. I always start slow and swear to take my time and take in the sights. Never worked, I found myself speeding up to keep up with the set of locks that synchronise with the traffic. You are wise to keep your mast up which will limit any sudden decision to get back to the Med. Change of plan can happen over breakfast. The Baltic is a wonderful cruising ground and you have the advantage that it is a foriegn country. For me it is "home waters" and does not satisfy my longing for adventure in Patagonia (for instance). Somehow I got trapped in Greece for the last few years. Oh the gloom of it.

nortada

Visit site
Of late it is interesting how many plans have changed (us included) on the alter of new circumstances.

Only a fool can’t change their mind and be condemned to continue down the path of an increasingly unsuitable life style.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Plains at time change with circumstances as most of us know very well , age is a big factor follow closely by Heath .
In our case we decided we become part time liveaboard cruising the summer and winter in Suffolk with some weekly winter sailing , move on land first buy another boat next year.
But within just a few weeks being back, the house bit gone on the back boiler and here we are on a boat again cruising.
Oh well that's life.:) .

Burnitblue it's a good time of year to make your move , I know your an experience solo sailor I have ever confronted if you stick to your plain you be in the CI before you know it .
Greece is a sticking point for everyone , with it great cruising ground and mostly easy sailing ,
but once you made that move you enjoy new country's to cruiser,
our last four years sailing Italy, Malta, Sardinia,France and N Africa has been an eye opener.
We love every bit .

BOB if your reading this , it's your turn next .

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Of late it is interesting how many plans have changed (us included) on the alter of new circumstances.

Only a fool can’t change their mind and be condemned to continue down the path of an increasingly unsuitable life style.
Wow, are you being condemned for changing from what has become, fo you, an unsuitable life style. Igonore them, it's your life. You don't even have to give reasons.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Plains at time change with circumstances as most of us know very well , age is a big factor follow closely by Heath .
In our case we decided we become part time liveaboard cruising the summer and winter in Suffolk with some weekly winter sailing , move on land first buy another boat next year.
But within just a few weeks being back, the house bit gone on the back boiler and here we are on a boat again cruising.
Oh well that's life.:) .

Burnitblue it's a good time of year to make your move , I know your an experience solo sailor I have ever confronted if you stick to your plain you be in the CI before you know it .
Greece is a sticking point for everyone , with it great cruising ground and mostly easy sailing ,
but once you made that move you enjoy new country's to cruiser,
our last four years sailing Italy, Malta, Sardinia,France and N Africa has been an eye opener.
We love every bit .

BOB if your reading this , it's your turn next .
Greece has certainly become a sticking point for me. The last few years have been covid restrictions. Then stick around for the EU tax paid certificate on 31-12-20. So yes there are no more excuses. Time to go before Etias gets implemented in 2023 when an escape from the Eastern Med becomes a problem. Imagine being stuck in a 275 Euro a night Marina when the 90 days are up. Caribbean non-stop or pay - up. Fines for overstaying or the Marina bill. The freedom of sailing was once a choice between two or more wonderful options. Today it is a choice between the lesser of two evils.

Your boat must stay in Greece for ever or if you leave for just one day your boat will have to join the Transit Log run around when you get back.

Thanks for the encouragement. In the Army I would get a medal for making my escape from Greece. YBW should design a flag for achievments of eminance.

Last edited: