Pulled out of my Aquastar purchase - Not sure why !

superheat6k

Visit site
The boat I was interested in will be an excellent buy for someone. I have arranged that the survey shall go to the vendor as a courtesy for wasting his time, along with offer of a written statement that me pulling out was not due to a specific concern with what is a cracking boat, and not some form of undisclosed concern or defect.

But the part I really struggle with is the base boat purchase contract principal requiring a would be buyer to find a fault to cancel a sale, when until the sea trial he has not had a chance to get a proper feel for her - that scenario does not apply to cars (nor even Women !). I did write into my offer that I could cancel for any reason, as I have for the past three of four boats purchased, and to date I have never invoked that clause, but today I understand why I do require it, and strongly suggest all others consider similar.

The other factor I have noticed is that once the purchase process has started it is something of a treadmill that is very difficult to step off from for fear of embarrassment, or simply a willingness to run with the process, regardless of sentiment.

I still feel I am a tw@t though, but do not regret the decision made this morning.

Greg2

Visit site
But the part I really struggle with is the base boat purchase contract principal requiring a would be buyer to find a fault to cancel a sale, when until the sea trial he has not had a chance to get a proper feel for her - that scenario does not apply to cars (nor even Women !). I did write into my offer that I could cancel for any reason, as I have for the past three of four boats purchased, and to date I have never invoked that clause, but today I understand why I do require it, and strongly suggest all others consider similar.

I totally agree. I fail to understand why it isn’t in the standard contract and when making offers we do so in writing (e-mail) and say subject to sea trial and survey followed up by a clear explanation that ‘sea trial’ includes whether or not we like the boat as well as ‘road testing’ it. I also fail to understand the reluctance of Brokers to amend the standard contract to reflect this. Some have revised it and some have steadfastly refused but reassured me that they are not in the business of selling a boat to someone who doesn’t want it. To be fair, I knew and trusted them so went with it and all was well as we bought the boat.

Tranona

Visit site
The boat I was interested in will be an excellent buy for someone. I have arranged that the survey shall go to the vendor as a courtesy for wasting his time, along with offer of a written statement that me pulling out was not due to a specific concern with what is a cracking boat, and not some form of undisclosed concern or defect.

The other factor I have noticed is that once the purchase process has started it is something of a treadmill that is very difficult to step off from for fear of embarrassment, or simply a willingness to run with the process, regardless of sentiment.

I still feel I am a tw@t though, but do not regret the decision made this morning.
Was it an ABYA contract you signed? If so clause 26 does exactly what you want - you can reject the boat at your discretion for any reason. The same wording is also in clause 25 for after the survey.

I went through almost the same as you recently. Thought I had found "the boat" and signed the contract subject to survey of only the hull and superstructure (very specific reasons for that). Survey found just a bit too much unknown rot and even though seller offered to have it fixed at his cost I rejected the boat.

The contract is written like that so that you can have a sea trial and if you are not happy with the boat you can reject it. The last thing a broker or a seller wants is to force a reluctant buyer to buy.

This is the right way of dealing with the "try before you buy" argument. You obviously saw enough about the boat to believe it was for you and were prepared to commit to a deposit and a survey - then you tried it out and did not like it. Better approach for all parties then try before you even commit to buy what is after all another person's private property rather than belonging to a trader who only has it because he makes money out of selling it.

Don't feel bad about it. It is your money and your decision.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
The fact that Superheat6k feels bad has nothing to do with what contracts say It is because he is obviously a very decent person.

I work with construction contracts all the time and in my view the finest 'clause' that I have ever read is in the Institute of Civil Engineers Contract (an old one). On the attestation page (where you sign) it simply says ' Sir we are gentlemen'............ There was a time when this meant something and quite frankly it should today also

Portofino

Visit site
oh dear, it's the wrong engine with completely different supercharger silencers. Ask BruceK of this parish he changed the silencers on his 42/43s for a pair of silencers of a 44/300.
Remember I had a KAD 300 boat .
it was the shortest Vid and I wanted not to Labour the point.Sounded like a 300 to me .
There are longer vids on utube but you have to wait mins so gentlemanly I spared everyone those .It’s up to individuals to find them .
Point still stands as I know what they sound like from 9 yrs ownership which actually is that longer than your ownership experience?

The noise remember is metal “ chip “ creation .

z1ppy

Visit site
Sorry to hear this Trevor but you have nothing to feel bad about and I am sure the vendor will feel the same in time…

your post above about the treadmill and being difficult to step off is very accurate!

I am a sucker for buyers remorse. Almost every significant purchase I have ever made! Cars, motorbikes, boats and even houses But generally you know within 24 hours or so it it was right and clearly you made the right call!

Our current boat, the remorse lasted much longer as it was bought at the start of covid and I didn’t really know what was coming, with hindsight, I might have placed an order for the new boat which we had on the table at the same time but I don’t regret what we have now…

please Trevor, pm me your address so I can get that wine I owe you? If I can’t buy you a drink on the boat at least you can have a few bottles to share at home?

ST840

Visit site
Sorry to hear this Trevor but you have nothing to feel bad about and I am sure the vendor will feel the same in time…

your post above about the treadmill and being difficult to step off is very accurate!

I am a sucker for buyers remorse. Almost every significant purchase I have ever made! Cars, motorbikes, boats and even houses But generally you know within 24 hours or so it it was right and clearly you made the right call!

Our current boat, the remorse lasted much longer as it was bought at the start of covid and I didn’t really know what was coming, with hindsight, I might have placed an order for the new boat which we had on the table at the same time but I don’t regret what we have now…

please Trevor, pm me your address so I can get that wine I owe you? If I can’t buy you a drink on the boat at least you can have a few bottles to share at home?

PM incoming. But I prefer Brandy if that's ok!! ?

oldgit

Visit site
Sellers Market.
As as buyer , its a very strange time to buy a boat .
A serious lack of choice and the accompanying price inflation has distorted a once predictable and semi comfortable purchasing path.
This possibly leads to making a uncomfortably quick decision in order simply to secure any boat you have actually managed to view.
Not that long ago you could be pretty certain that it would be worth driving half way across the country to view a boat that might suit your purposes, still be pretty certain that it not only be unsold on arrival , but still on the market after you actually got home.
The urgent need to buy normally declines as you drive home, followed over next 24 hours with several violent changes of mind and then general confusion ?
This should all be got over with before making any commitment to buy.

Have been approached by one or two skippers interested in purchasing my present money pit, but the mere thought of a engaging in a bidding war on next purchase is real disincentive (for some ?) to even go and look at anything else. ?
At least 6k had the cojones to get out before things got unpleasant and expensive.

dankilb

Visit site
After the excellent job/thread fixing the Cummins, I’m secretly hoping you find another one needing a re-power (although I’m guessing you are not hoping for the same!).

TheCoach

Visit site
I totally agree. I fail to understand why it isn’t in the standard contract and when making offers we do so in writing (e-mail) and say subject to sea trial and survey followed up by a clear explanation that ‘sea trial’ includes whether or not we like the boat as well as ‘road testing’ it. I also fail to understand the reluctance of Brokers to amend the standard contract to reflect this. Some have revised it and some have steadfastly refused but reassured me that they are not in the business of selling a boat to someone who doesn’t want it. To be fair, I knew and trusted them so went with it and all was well as we bought the boat.

Agree with all the above from @superheat6k @Greg2 and @Tranona
We bought our first big boat last year on the 2nd attempt have ultimately rejected the first one we sea trialled.

The first one was a Corvette and I have to say the broker (Karl Farrant) was excellent. We were very open in saying we had never been to sea on a Corvette although had looked at one etc and he was happy to take us out for a sea trial subject to deposit. The contract he used was very sensible (British Marine template) and clearly allowed us to reject for any reason, not just substantial faults. As it turned out we had a sea trial for us then a separate survey/engineers sea trial and ended up not proceeding following that. Karl fully understood and immediately refunded deposit etc and has kept in touch since.

The boat we eventually bought was through Ancasta who had a much more restrictive contract that "in theory" only allows rejection for substantive reasons. We ended up having to be quite persuasive to get a sea trial ourselves before committing to deposit, contract and survey etc and it was very quick, 10 minutes out of Lymington, 5 minutes on the Solent and 10 mins back in again!

It was enough to make us happy that the boat was good for us, subject to survey etc, and to be fair to Ancasta the team were very good once I think they were convinced we were serious not just tyre kickers (or fender bashers :LOL: )

The first contract approach felt far more sensible given the large sums of money involved but you can feel pressured especially ATM when there are multiple buyers for every boat (at least in our case) but i still think you have to stick to your guns and it has to "feel" right as well as "being" right otherwise you'll never be happy with it:unsure:

Good luck in the continued search Trevor (y)

Restoration man

Visit site
Lawn Mower Head

When I was a Young Man before the Internet I bought a Lawn Mower I really wanted from the small adds over the Phone. When I was driving to pick it up and pay the guy I was convinced that all the cars in front of me were going to pip me to the Post in buying it, and I seemed to drive faster and faster to get there. Me and her indoors now call this Lawn Mower Head. Ie you want something so bad you think every one else is after it. I have often said that if you do not get Lawn Mower Head when buying something then Perhaps it is not for you.

You made absolutely the right decision. Also the Boat cost a bit more than my Hayter Harrier Mk 2...... Which I still have by the way 35 years later and it was not new when I got it :)

This is exactly me
I’m going to pinch lawnmower head
Ps I’ve always had bit thing for mowers even as a child,
petrol +lawn clippings ?
Only beaten by 2 stroke petrol +sea air ???

pks1702

Visit site
Agree with all the above from @superheat6k @Greg2 and @Tranona
We bought our first big boat last year on the 2nd attempt have ultimately rejected the first one we sea trialled.

The first one was a Corvette and I have to say the broker (Karl Farrant) was excellent. We were very open in saying we had never been to sea on a Corvette although had looked at one etc and he was happy to take us out for a sea trial subject to deposit. The contract he used was very sensible (British Marine template) and clearly allowed us to reject for any reason, not just substantial faults. As it turned out we had a sea trial for us then a separate survey/engineers sea trial and ended up not proceeding following that. Karl fully understood and immediately refunded deposit etc and has kept in touch since.

The boat we eventually bought was through Ancasta who had a much more restrictive contract that "in theory" only allows rejection for substantive reasons. We ended up having to be quite persuasive to get a sea trial ourselves before committing to deposit, contract and survey etc and it was very quick, 10 minutes out of Lymington, 5 minutes on the Solent and 10 mins back in again!

It was enough to make us happy that the boat was good for us, subject to survey etc, and to be fair to Ancasta the team were very good once I think they were convinced we were serious not just tyre kickers (or fender bashers :LOL: )

The first contract approach felt far more sensible given the large sums of money involved but you can feel pressured especially ATM when there are multiple buyers for every boat (at least in our case) but i still think you have to stick to your guns and it has to "feel" right as well as "being" right otherwise you'll never be happy with it:unsure:

Good luck in the continued search Trevor (y)

Bought our first boat from Karl when he was at Boatshowrooms very decent knowlegable chap.

Good to hear he hasn't changed in his own business.