Pulled out of my Aquastar purchase - Not sure why !

superheat6k

Visit site
But I know it is the correct decision for me.

Now I feel a complete tw@t for wasting the vendor and broker's time. However, I guess this likely confirms some folk's opinion of me anyway (not that I care about that aspect BTW).

She is a lovely boat for someone, just can't explain in words why it is not me, she just isn't. Better I realise that now and act to do what is right for me.

Perhaps I should take up golf !

AllanG

Visit site
That’s a tough call, Trevor, but as you say, it’s better to do it now rather find out later it’s not the boat for you ?

Greg2

Visit site
I am sure that you went into it in good faith and if you get so far through and realise it isn’t right for you there isn’t really an option other than to withdraw.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
It’s interesting
When we make what we think are logical decisions, we are really only weighing up a few variables (that’s all we can cope with)
An emotional decision is made up of hundreds maybe thousands of bits of life experiences and in consequence is less definable but more accurate.
You have made the right call.

Hot Property

Visit site
Sorry to hear you are still boatless Trev. Why don't you buy a rib with a big engine so you can zip around the Solent (and further) to satisfy your itch?

Portofino

Visit site
Never understood why like all the boats I have tried , bit like cars you can’t go out and test drive them first in the U.K.
Then after a bit or a lot of time in the thing running proceed with further pre purchase inspection and go from there .

I have helmed a Riva 52 and it slammed so we ( wife as well ) declined walked away .I offered the diesel bill .
Tested a SL 62 , wife piped up it’s a “ floating caravan the stairs don’t work for the dog “ better putting £€$ into property -
Tested a Riva 44 - nice boat but let down on accommodation - large single open plan set up below -and zero tender storage.poor engine access .Sure could have seen that in the brochure but really needed a live example to judge it.

No upfront costs in any .No one ever took my offers up for fuel either .
Also turned down test drives from brokers @ la Napoule after striking up dockside conversations.
Eg the Hatten 52 one September “ it’s just back from Cannes would you ( and wife + dog ) like a run out NOW in the bay “
We declined as not interested, only complementing the broker on it .

I thought happy to stand corrected it’s a bit like bums on seats from a sales pov .Target prospects and get them on / in the thing out on the water ……sell the dam thing to them .

They , well Med brokers thus far seem to allow a test drive and general creep all over it first before the expense of further technical deeper surveys etc .

I mean run this by me again …….In the U.K. you fork out for haul outs and professional surveys first then work through those - go to sea trail then find out stuff like it the engines scream like a Banshee , or the HT reverberates , or it slams , or there’s insufficient storage , or you can’t get on / off , or it smokes , or you can’t see out without standing , or it’s a pig at close quarter manoeuvres .etc etc .

Then after such up front expenses feel guilty or a bit of a twit for backing out after a test on the water ?

Why ? I am not getting the refusal empathy.It’s your £ it’s up to the seller to get you into a situation whereby you swop your £ for his boat not the other way round .

Is it the embarrassment of laying out hard earned £ to get to the sea trail stage ?

Anyhow as others have said any doubts walk away plenty more fish in the sea .

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Lawn Mower Head

When I was a Young Man before the Internet I bought a Lawn Mower I really wanted from the small adds over the Phone. When I was driving to pick it up and pay the guy I was convinced that all the cars in front of me were going to pip me to the Post in buying it, and I seemed to drive faster and faster to get there. Me and her indoors now call this Lawn Mower Head. Ie you want something so bad you think every one else is after it. I have often said that if you do not get Lawn Mower Head when buying something then Perhaps it is not for you.

You made absolutely the right decision. Also the Boat cost a bit more than my Hayter Harrier Mk 2...... Which I still have by the way 35 years later and it was not new when I got it :)

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Never understood why like all the boats I have tried , bit like cars you can’t go out and test drive them first in the U.K.
Then after a bit or a lot of time in the thing running proceed with further pre purchase inspection and go from there .

I have helmed a Riva 52 and it slammed so we ( wife as well ) declined walked away .I offered the diesel bill .
Tested a SL 62 , wife piped up it’s a “ floating caravan the stairs don’t work for the dog “ better putting £€$ into property -
Tested a Riva 44 - nice boat but let down on accommodation - large single open plan set up below -and zero tender storage.poor engine access .Sure could have seen that in the brochure but really needed a live example to judge it.

No upfront costs in any .No one ever took my offers up for fuel either .
Also turned down test drives from brokers @ la Napoule after striking up dockside conversations.
Eg the Hatten 52 one September “ it’s just back from Cannes would you ( and wife + dog ) like a run out NOW in the bay “
We declined as not interested, only complementing the broker on it .

I thought happy to stand corrected it’s a bit like bums on seats from a sales pov .Target prospects and get them on / in the thing out on the water ……sell the dam thing to them .

They , well Med brokers thus far seem to allow a test drive and general creep all over it first before the expense of further technical deeper surveys etc .

I mean run this by me again …….In the U.K. you fork out for haul outs and professional surveys first then work through those - go to sea trail then find out stuff like it the engines scream like a Banshee , or the HT reverberates , or it slams , or there’s insufficient storage , or you can’t get on / off , or it smokes , or you can’t see out without standing , or it’s a pig at close quarter manoeuvres .etc etc .

Then after such up front expenses feel guilty or a bit of a twit for backing out after a test on the water ?

Why ? I am not getting the refusal empathy.It’s your £ it’s up to the seller to get you into a situation whereby you swop your £ for his boat not the other way round .

Is it the embarrassment of laying out hard earned £ to get to the sea trail stage ?

Anyhow as others have said any doubts walk away plenty more fish in the sea .

It is all part of being 'British' I suspect you would not understand ;). Rule Britannia

ST840

Visit site
Lawn Mower Head

When I was a Young Man before the Internet I bought a Lawn Mower I really wanted from the small adds over the Phone. When I was driving to pick it up and pay the guy I was convinced that all the cars in front of me were going to pip me to the Post in buying it, and I seemed to drive faster and faster to get there. Me and her indoors now call this Lawn Mower Head. Ie you want something so bad you think every one else it after it. I have often said that if you do not get Lawn Mower Head when buying something then Perhaps it is not for you.

You made absolutely the right decision. Also the Boat cost a bit more than my Hayter Harrier Mk 2...... Which I still have by the way 35 years later and it was not new when I got it :)
My wife suffers from permanent Lawn mower head.
Is there a pill I can give her??

paradave

Visit site
Lawn Mower Head

When I was a Young Man before the Internet I bought a Lawn Mower I really wanted from the small adds over the Phone. When I was driving to pick it up and pay the guy I was convinced that all the cars in front of me were going to pip me to the Post in buying it, and I seemed to drive faster and faster to get there. Me and her indoors now call this Lawn Mower Head. Ie you want something so bad you think every one else it after it. I have often said that if you do not get Lawn Mower Head when buying something then Perhaps it is not for you.

That is an excellent observation and something I’m incredibly guilty of!!

stelican

Visit site
Lawn Mower Head

Do that with the motorhome incase the best pitch is taken

rafiki_

Visit site
Trevor, you are a smart bloke, hugely experienced in the ways of boating. No doubt this is the right decision for you. Best wishes for your further viewings.

kashurst

Visit site
You did the right thing. The vendor will be disappointed, the broker will just try and sell you a different boat. Had you bought it, something about it would have annoyed for years. Forget it. Let someone else love it.

BruceK

Visit site
oh dear, it's the wrong engine with completely different supercharger silencers. Ask BruceK of this parish he changed the silencers on his 42/43s for a pair of silencers of a 44/300.
Everybody now comments on how quiet my boat is. Without silencers all my vids were interrupted by SC screams. Now just engine rumble. To rob a chav, lush mon.