Pubs & restaurants

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Noticed another forum is pubs & restaurants!
How about good pubs / restaurants around the Bristol channel? Who will start us off?

LizzyD

Visit site
The Cottage in Bristol Harbour. You're away from the crowds and the food is ace. Also Old India in the town. A good idea to look it up on the net and book in advance as its very popular.

Also Ghandi's in Portishead. The do a savage vindaloo which has ensured me a place on an NHS bottom-transplant waiting list. The Plough pub in Portishead is dog friendly, but very, very noisy on weekends and full of swearing and loud people of all ages.

Would definitely not recommend Food Fusion in Milford on the marina. Food was awful and the service was disgraceful. Wish I'd gone to Martha's Vinyard as I've heard nothin but good reports.

Lizzy D

bluedragon

Visit site
Although it's right on my doorstep, the Oystercatcher at the top end of Penarth Marina does incredibly good value pub food. I didn't rate the place at all a few years ago, but went there twice last summer and was amazed by the size and quality of Fish 'n Chips or 12oz gammon, egg &chips for around £7 or less. You can eat outside and the wine / beer selection is not bad either. Lots of kids on the weekends though, and I wouldn't choose it for a cosy evening for two! Great if you're hungry though.

For a more gastronomic evening, the two restaurants at the old Custom House building right by the marina are always full. Personally I don't like the attitude there, and the wine is massively over-priced (and over-hyped) in my opinion. But it's remained amazingly popular and busy, so what do I know...

Walk up into Penarth Town and on the corner of Plassey and Arcot streets is the Cornerhouse Restaurant. Now run by a lovely Polish couple Damien & Kamilla, the food is French influenced but with more than a hint of Eastern Europe. Worth a try.

graham

Visit site
Ill second the Star in Watchet as well kept beer and food. Also friendly staff.

The beer Garden at the Royal next to Portishead Marina is pleasant of a summer evening. Griffin at Dale is good and you can use the pontoon unless its low water.

Had a really crap meal at the Oystercatcher in Penarth once and had to wait ages for the privilidge .

PSJust read blue dragons report on the Oystercatcher ,It was a few years ago we went so maybe much better now.

Mike_S

Visit site
Wander up the hill into Penarth and we've got loads of good restaurants in and around the town centre, from the Jaflon curry house to Cibo's italian. I'll second the custom house as well (and agree with the attitude issue), although I'd always stay downstairs as the upstairs is waaaaaaaaaay too stuffy for our liking.

Pottering over to Mermaid Quay for the afternoon / evening also opens up a huge range of eateries from cheapo saturated fat emporiums to pricey bistros. We tend to moor up over there on a Sunday afternoon to read the papers, drink coffee and have a nice meal at some point in the evening, it's all very civilised and I can recommend it for a 'chill out' watching the world go by.

Mike

Csail

N/A
Visit site
For Bristol i must suggest 'The Olive Shed' (tappas) next to the cranes and 'The Glass House' (half floating restaurant) just up the canal/river.

Mike_S

Visit site
Haven't tried the spice merchant yet, but there's a new curry hoose opened up opposite the little tesco that looks very appealing. Does a £6 lunch if I recall correctly.

LizzyD

Visit site
Haven't tried the new Indian, but can definitely recommend the Spice Route in Atlantic Wharfe, Cardiff. It came third in the Welsh Curry House of the year competition and is absolutely great vfm. (I've noticed a bit of an Asian theme to my posts - not that I'm addicted to it or anything!)

LD

sb99

Visit site
Waterguard

Worth a visit for their unusual range of beers and largers. You wont find the usual carling, Worthingtons etc. instead they do a range of Samuel Smith bitters and Ayingerbrau lagers. Good stuff.
In the summer you can sit outside overlooking Cardiff bay.
I’ve never eaten there but understand the food is typical bar meals and snacks

sb99

Visit site
It may help if I tell you where it is
Its to the east side of Cardiff Bay, located at harbour drive.
See multi-map link Here

Doesn't look like a pub from the outside. You can see images Here

Mike_S

Visit site
Waterguard's nice, the Sam Smiths ales are pretty good. It's a nice place to sit outside of away from the noise of the main bars on the other side of the Quay as well as having a convivial atmosphere inside.

Easiest description of location is it's the building behind the norwegian church (the white church) on the right hand side of mermaid quay as you're approaching the pontoons.

Csail

N/A
Visit site
I will try it on Sunday.... so you might see 'Bonny Mary' tied up over there.
Make the most before the drink boating law comes in. That will be even more daft that we can't stay in Mermaid Quay overnight (well not on the good pontoons) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

muckypup

Visit site
My fav for Indian is LeRaj just outside Porthcawl, and for Italian there is Castellemare in Bracelet Bay (just past the Mumbles). Both are excellent!

S.

Sneds

Visit site
The Severn Shed in Bristol's harbour (The Grove) does an excellent sunday lunch, try the Mardyke for cheap beer and a rowdy, but safe, atmosphere. (not suitable for children)
The Guvnor, Robert, is a mate of mine!

Beware of speeding ferries with no knowledge off the coll regs /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bluedragon

Visit site
The one with the restaurant upstairs? Weird place. We went in there with a view to eating...the landlord wouldn't let us walk up and have a look unless with we committed to place an order!! We walked ...out.