Provisioning Mistakes

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Long time ago, but I recall the ones that I started to eat were very similar in shape to the Orange one. Fortunately I did not swallow them, just some juice but even so it was extremely painful, not just simply unpleasant. It was a couple of days before I could taste any other food.
Also after touching one, whatever it is, is very difficult to wash off your hands.
If you touch your lips the next day, they will burn.

Kelpie

Visit site
No howlers, but we've overstocked with pasta, rice, and flour. Losing the war against the weevils. I thought they had gone the way of scurvy but apparently they are very much still a thing

On our Biscay crossing, we didn't realise how limited the shopping would be at Kilmore Quay. Took on some very dodgy 'fresh' chicken which was past its best. The smell was not welcome two days in to a very lumpy passage.

Stingo

Visit site
No howlers, but we've overstocked with pasta, rice, and flour. Losing the war against the weevils. I thought they had gone the way of scurvy but apparently they are very much still a thing

On our Biscay crossing, we didn't realise how limited the shopping would be at Kilmore Quay. Took on some very dodgy 'fresh' chicken which was past its best. The smell was not welcome two days in to a very lumpy passage.
If you have enough freezer space, store your pasta, rice & flour in there. Weevils and their eggs don't like being frozen. If you don't have enough freezer space, rotate your stock of pasta, rice & flour through the freezer.

Kelpie

Visit site
If you have enough freezer space, store your pasta, rice & flour in there. Weevils and their eggs don't like being frozen. If you don't have enough freezer space, rotate your stock of pasta, rice & flour through the freezer.
I thought of that but SWMBO reckons it would cause condensation which would make the problem worse. Maybe we should give it a go.

A friend suggested a good idea for storage- use empty 5l water bottles. Much cheaper than tupperware and thick enough plastic to be weevil proof.

Stingo

Visit site
I thought of that but SWMBO reckons it would cause condensation which would make the problem worse. Maybe we should give it a go.

A friend suggested a good idea for storage- use empty 5l water bottles. Much cheaper than tupperware and thick enough plastic to be weevil proof.
I did that, but with 1/2 litre plastic juice bottles, because at worst, only 1/2 litre or flour/rice/etc can be affected by the weevils.

Handy tip: glue two of the juice bottle tops together, top to top, drill out the centre, then you can make a funnel where the hole is the same size as the juice bottle neck.
20231026_114700.jpg
20231026_114751.jpg

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
Provisioning for my world voyage I loaded up with tinned fish,mainly Atún…………my second landfall was Galicia where tinned fish was perfected and the harbour I spent the winter in was dominated by the biggest tinned fish producers……….and what’s more my loving wife lived in one of the cottages belonging to the fish factory and her mother was in charge of the economatoand sent her daughter off to Madrid loaded down with Massó tinned fish……I got it wrong😂

RupertW

Visit site
We definitely overstocked but deliberately - based on having enough for double the likely crossing time in case of dismasting or whatever. But everything we bought was stuff we would enjoy eating even if we would prefer fresh. So tinned chicken (tinned squid and tinned salmon) to jag with tinned mushrooms and either a Thai or curry jar plus fresh onions etc.
Plus a lot of freshly cooked meals like fish cakes, fajita fillings all vacuum packed.
We ate mostly fresh on the crossing which included a divert for a week to Cape Verde’s then gradually used up the rest during the 3 months in the Caribbean.

Yngmar

Visit site
The cheap bottle of Sangria we brought with us to a friendly ship, where it was decanted into some kind of magically refilling pitcher along with some fruits. Regret lasted two days rather than the usual one. I suspect maybe one of the fruits was bad.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
W
That is a most amazing coincidence!

My wife and I watched the film "The Cruel Sea" last night (it's still available on BBC iPlayer).

I think "The Cruel Sea"was one of the best novels set in a war that I have ever read, and also the best feature film.
Watched it many times but without any experience to relate to it other than having two uncles that were at sea during WW11, one on an MTB, he didn't survive and the other a merchant seaman on convoys that said his whole time was one of anxiety.
But I enjoyed the book and the film, which was why 'snorkers' instantly sprang to mind with a young Poignard junior officer on the mess deck. ;)

Poignard

Visit site
W

Watched it many times but without any experience to relate to it other than having two uncles that were at sea during WW11, one on an MTB, he didn't survive and the other a merchant seaman on convoys that said his whole time was one of anxiety.
But I enjoyed the book and the film, which was why 'snorkers' instantly sprang to mind with a young Poignard junior officer on the mess deck. ;)

Junior ratings live in messdecks, senior ratings live in messes, officers live in wardrooms and their cabins, commanding officers live in their quarters.

I was a senior rating - the highest of the lowly!

A somewhat similar distinction attaches to the distaff side.

Junior ratings have women, senior ratings have wives, officers have ladies.

:D

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Junior ratings live in messdecks, senior ratings live in messes, officers live in wardrooms and their cabins, commanding officers live in their quarters.

I was a senior rating - the highest of the lowly!

A somewhat similar distinction attaches to the distaff side.

Junior ratings have women, senior ratings have wives, officers have ladies.

:D
I told you I had no experience of such matters. :D

WoodyP

Visit site
I told you I had no experience of such matters. :D
Yeah, right.
My experience extended to going aboard a yacht to help out mid journey to the Azores. I couldn't get back to the mother ship for a couple of days. The provisions consisted of one long life loaf of bread, some spam and a single can of beer. The gas ran out so you couldn't even boil a kettle. Nothing like being prepared.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Yeah, right.
My experience extended to going aboard a yacht to help out mid journey to the Azores. I couldn't get back to the mother ship for a couple of days. The provisions consisted of one long life loaf of bread, some spam and a single can of beer. The gas ran out so you couldn't even boil a kettle. Nothing like being prepared.
Your reward will be in heaven my son not in this world.

iirc you didn't receive a great deal of thanks for your effort either.

14K478

Visit site
Yeah, right.
that’s why I have a 1950s Taylors two burner that sits happily on top of the OceanChef. And a stock of meths and paraffin!

If you buy the really expensive Italian ice cream from Waitrose, hang on to the plastic screw top containers…

WoodyP

Visit site
Your reward will be in heaven my son not in this world.

iirc you didn't receive a great deal of thanks for your effort either.
We saw the same boat in Cherbourg a couple of years later. Different crew, new suit of sails, looking cared for. I suspect that the previous owner decided that he preferred less responsibility.