Provisional details at this early stage ...

G

Initially idea was Cruise takes off during the week of 21 - 27th May 2006 around various bolt-holes of Solent .... culminating in a get-together in Bembridge over the week-end of 27 - 28 May Bank Holiday.

Unfortunately Bembridge has declined our booking for that weekend - Sat 27th - as Seawych Assopciation has claimed first ... so we need to either sort another location or possibly dates ...

Take note that Round Island Race .... Volvo do .... etc. are all around that time as well ....

We are hoping to have a get-together suitable for families and provide games / interest for younger crew ....
The food aspect is via Beach BBQ and this allows everyone to have what they want - how they want etc.

Sorry for the hitch - but this was another reason that we posted this early for people to start thinking about it ...

We need your help and suggestions to really get this back on track ....

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Nigel,

Perhaps Harold Hayles at Yarmouth would be the answer. If there is enough interest, book the whole pontoon, if there are any late comers then it will be pot luck in the harbour. We have before now (ETAP Owners Assc) had a BBQ at the sailing club, just over the bridge, good facilities and a bar!

G

Locations ....

One aspect we have to be careful about is the Family side and carraige of small children - nervous people in dinghys etc. In Yarmouth Harbour its calmer and safer for dinghy rides to the BBQ area , but such as Osborne Bay / Priory Bay etc. it can be subject to some choppy seas ...

Studland is outside Solent - not a problem for Jim and myself as we are planning to start out earlier in the week ... but others may only depart that morning ... with idea to return next day ...

So possibles keeping the Solent aspect which helps for kiddies etc. :

Bembridge
Yarmouth
Newtown (but I think BBQ's are not allowed ?? RSPB ??)
Priory Bay
Osborne Bay
East Head Chichester
Hurst Point (Keyhaven entrance)

So where / when ?????? Keep same dates and change to Yarmouth ? Harold Hayles pontoons as block booking ... or try booking with Yarmouth HM on public pontoons ??

Unfortunately Folly is not really suited to a Family games and BBQ do ... no real area to do it in ... and no beach !!

G

HH - Yarmouth ....

In fact the sand dunes due north of HH has BBQ pits and stands purpose designed .....

Only two matters with HH .... he's relatively expensive and also anyone wanting electric has to cobble together a 3 pin domestic conversion connector to adapt a normal marina / caravan plug to fit his supply box .... BUT you do have walk ashore capability, electric and water etc.

Over to others comments ????

But yes its a good alternative ......

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Re: HH - Yarmouth ....

The electrical connection at HH is far less complicated than that at Newtown Creek, Osborn bay or East Head! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Yarmouth ......

As alternative - if we keep same dates :

I have mailed to Yarmouth HM as to booking ....

I can also contact H.Hayles if that is preferred ....

It would be nice to have a feel for which way this will fall ... Yarmouth or other etc.

For me - I haven't booked my flight yet - so flexible ....

fireball

Visit site
Re: Walking Ashore at East Head

I was referring to the ability to cross everyone elses boat to the shore ... ours would fall over too if we got too shallow - and that would still be out of my depth!

Sans Bateau

Visit site

Hey! That sounds a good idea, so we get someone with a bilge keeler on the inside nearest the beach, then a shallow draft, something, then the rest of us raft off! Brilliant. I wonder if there is a record somewhere as to how many boats you can raft off a 20ft Kingfisher! tee hee!

G

Re: Yarmouth ......bookings ....

The Yarmouth Harbour web-site says they do - even give a direct click on e-mail link ..... must admit that previously I always booked into HH .....

fireball

Visit site

We could start off with Talbot as the innermost boat - plenty of room on deck for the BBQ ... !!

Hmm - sizable raft like that would stuff up the racing fleets as they try and sneek along the shore!

G

Re: Walking Ashore at East Head.... system ...

You get a nice solid lift keel job ... say a 30'ish ft Feeling to poke its nose up the beach end on. Then another slightly bigger one up its chuff end on ... now you have enough water for a small bilge keeler to side on to the arse of the second. This provides the basis of a T jetty .... now you build up layers of ever increasing size BK'rs till sufficient depth to get the average AWB as a decent fender bender before the older deeper long-keel jobs side up to the whole affair ...... As more trad boats arrive - you add additional AWB's as fenders to protect the heavy-weight trads ......

Voila happy families !!!!

9d931864.gif

Sans Bateau

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
sizable raft like that would stuff up the racing fleets as they try and sneek along the shore!

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me see now......

No can't see a problem with that!