PROUT SIROCCO 26 foot CATAMARAN !

Blackie

Visit site
Hello,
My girlfriend and I are in our early 30's - we both bought houses dirt cheep years ago and now feel like million airs! We both sail a bit, I own a Wayfarer and have sailed with friends on bigger boats on and off for 10 years.

With equity in our house’s and a small windfall, our intention is to take some time out and sail the Med.

I'm in love with this 26 Foot Prout Sirocco Cat because it offers sooooooo much room below and on deck compared to a mono hull. Its also quite cheep at £19.000,

Question. Assuming I get her shipshape is this boat big and safe enough to cross the channel, sail to the Med and further? Am I missing something? Why don’t more people sail Cats?

I have never sailed a Cat but even if it does bang a bit to windward all that extra space must surely make up for it.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Blackie

<hr width=100% size=1>

timevans2000

Visit site
Go for it! It is well up to crossing open sea. I had a Prout Ranger 27. Did lots of cruising in her over a 5 year period. I sold her to get a Prout Snowgoose 37 for the extra space and comfort. We are heading off for a year in her in a couple of months

<hr width=100% size=1>

rickwat

Visit site
Sounds a steal at that price. Handy size for marinas too. Better keep quiet about it.
Should go anywhere and gear will be easy to handle - even cruising chute etc.

Best of luck

Rick(Snowgoose)

<hr width=100% size=1>

JPGruntfuttock

West Med/ Inverclyde, yUK/Alameda Island, CA. USA
Visit site
I know absolutely nothing about sailing cats, but, did meet a very nice couple in Preveza, Greek Ionion, who had sailed a smallish (8 metre?) cat from UK to the Med via the canals and had a great time, if you are interested in going that way. Sorry that I cannot recall her name, but she wrote a book about the trip which was published in the last couple of years, for some reason the Cruising Association comes to mind in respect of the book. May be worth trying them for the name.

Also recall it being said that by the time it was loaded for livaboard cruising it wasn't significantly faster than a mono of that size, but more than made up for that in comfort and living space.

The only other titbit was that many Med marinas charge extra for cats because of the beam and that Gouvia Marina on Corfu is a favoured haunt for cats laying up because they don't.

Whichever, good luck and happy sailing, wish I'd had the wisdom to do it at your age ..... heaves sigh...collects walking stick ... shuffles off into the sun contemplating half sucked Werthers original....

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
No reason at all that you shouldn't be able to take the scenic route to the Med - I've met 2 couples who've done just that (one twice in a Scirocco). The one thing you'll probably need to do is to put in a decent diesel engine. You'll have to do a lot of motoring, especially in the Med where there's always too little or too much wind for comfort.

I certainly wouldn't consider going via the canals - you miss far too much superb scenery and a cat is quite a handful in the locks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
for the money, an ideal cruising boat. far better for living aboard in a hot climate. you have the benefit that larger cats don't of going through the french canals.

stability in cats increases with the 4th power of the length so small ones need to be sailed conservatively but plenty pf people have sailed small cats long distances, notably colin & rosie swale taking a 30-footer round cape horn.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rohorn

Visit site
Hi......What state is this Prout in? What motor does it have? Can the electrics stand a useful sized fridge? I've been sailing cats in the Aegean for 15 years now, starting with a Wharram...fun sailing sideways, but no real room, and my present Dean with it's cavernous interior and too much storage space...keep losing things..
But a good motor(s) is/are a must, I had a Yamaha 9,9 outboard on the Wharram 28, excellent motor, but slow, and no matter what you think now, at some time during your wonderful year, you'll want to get from A to B in a hurry with contrary conditions....I had two 10 hp yanmars on the Dean, but am fitting two 20s for many reasons, but mostly the certainty of getting where we want, when we want.
After the boat, the fridge is the source of the greatest satisfaction, and probably the biggest electrical power drain. If you can reliably and comfortably maintain power enough for that, then I think everything else will be OK.
Remember too in the Med, if you don't ask, they won't tell you "No"!
Go for it!
Cheers....R

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidbains

Visit site
I've also sailed a mutli in the med for 15years. presently based in Preveza marine.
A Prout is a reliable cat although the 26 is a bit on the small side, but when your young
supple and childless......
Does this boat have a diesel engine? I don't think outboards are suitable auxilliaries.
I agree you must sort out a decent fridge, which may well mean solar panels to
supplement charging. A bimini which can be up while you're sailing is great, and essential
in harbour,you can do serious damage to your skin. Carry a sea anchor in case you get caught out in a Mistral/Bora/Meltemi and need to take a breather. I've never used mine but it gives peace of mind. Treat thunderstorms with more respect than they are accorded in the channel. You may need to get a larger anchor to cope with the windage in bad weather. Or set two small ones. Go for it. If you like it you can always trade up. David.
visit themutihull.com and noonsite.com

<hr width=100% size=1>