Prop anode change near Largs ?

Canopy Locked

Visit site
could you try an additional anode suspended over the side next to the prop (might need a wire to connect anode to prop shaft- not quite sure?)
Might help see you through until the annual lift

dunedin

Visit site
could you try an additional anode suspended over the side next to the prop (might need a wire to connect anode to prop shaft- not quite sure?)
Might help see you through until the annual lift
The saildrive anode is right next to the prop, and generally only loses about 20% in a full year. The water cooled fridge anode typically lasts at least 5 years. So not sure an extra nearby anode would help.
It does seem to be a known and common factor with props like the 3 blade Flexofold - otherwise a brilliant prop, and until now no issue as a friendly diver could check. / replace very quickly.
I will get the endoscope camera out and try to check the condition from the pontoon and decide whether worth paying for a 15 minute lift

dunedin

Visit site
Surely there must be some pier or jetty, where you could dry out with the tide.
Imagination required. I wanted to do something similar at Puilladobhrain, so I anchored, with a line ashore from the stern, positioned so that the propeller was just clear of the water at low tide, with the water supporting the boat from heeling over. Easy peasy.
Probably just ignorance on my part, but in all the time I have owned a deep keeled yacht I have never dried out alongside a pier, and probably not going to try for this purpose. Some boats are designed for drying out, some are designed for speed and efficiency under sail. Ours is not too extreme, but slightly more towards the latter than the former.

dunedin

Visit site
Are there no sandy bits of beach that you could run aground on? Check out a likely spot at springs, so you can look for a boulder free area. Do the excercise at neaps, so you are well up the beach on a cleaner bit.

The idea would be to ground near LW & at such a state that the boat heals over only lightly & for a short while, Do not be completely dried out. You want to be in a state were you can wade about & get to the prop without actually diving (which you said you did not want to do in the opening post) You will have to reach under the water, but still stand on the ground. Just motor up to the beach, when ready & run aground, turning as you do so you are sideways on to the beach & bring the prop in a little shallower. Then tilt the boat shorewards as it dries.
A cheap, or borrowed, wetsuit would be essential. A ladder to climb down, tied to the boat so any current does not wash it away. Loosen the guard rail to make it easier to climb over. Have the dinghy launched for emergency & to place the tools & new anode in. Have a couple of spare bolts for the anode, because you know that you will drop one. Same goes for the allen key or screw driver. A friendly boat moored offshore while all this is going on might give you confidence.
Methinks there is a mindset difference between NW boaters, and SE coast boaters - up here we get nervous whenever the depth sounder goes under 20m (partly because most of the shallow bits are sharp rocks). At least I do. :)
And at -2C today might need an axe to break the ice, let alone a wetsuit. That’s why we pay divers to do mad things

ylop

Visit site
JWD do a lift and dunk for £25.50 per metre - still expensive but less than a monkey.
From experience Largs isn’t that different. (I think it’s £23.75+vat per m but I might be wrong). They’ll hold it over lunch or overnight if you are flexible on when you want it (during a quiet period is likely to get you much more flexibility than October of April !)

im not surprised they don’t want divers in the marina, but any reason the diver won’t do it on a mooring or anchor?

Bodach na mara

Visit site
There's a reason why the job is easiest in the marina. If you drop something it only falls a few metres to the bottom and can usually be retrieved unless visibility is unusually low.

scottie

Visit site
Two things I do recall sailing boats drying out behind the stone pier at mill ports
And said above a lift and hold will normally save money
Also if you have been a good boy all year the guy in the red suit might be persuaded to put a bunch of reindeer on the foredeck !

Bav32

Visit site
If you at largs, just up over to the inside of the pier at Millport and dry out. Whilst waiting for the tide to return, theres a handy pub adjacent.
Or you could dry out at the stone pier at Kames in Kyle's of bute, also has an excellent pub across the road.

yotter

Me Inverkip, boat Kip in winter, Craobh in summer
Visit site
If you at largs, just up over to the inside of the pier at Millport and dry out. Whilst waiting for the tide to return, theres a handy pub adjacent.
Or you could dry out at the stone pier at Kames in Kyle's of bute, also has an excellent pub across the road.
Ah yes, I recall the good ship Lola (Davy Rombach) drying out at Kames for repairs (I was but a nipper), but she was long keeled.

Last edited:

Aja

Visit site
Ah yes, I recall the good ship Lola (Davy Rombach) drying out at Kames for repairs (I was but a nipper), but she was long keeled.
Alongside at Rothesay. There and back in a morning. Or afternoon if the tides not quite right.