Problems with Marine Mega Store?

[29051]

Visit site
The funny thing is even Marine Megastore say (in writing) they would pay the postage back to them if they picked the wrong item by accident. The problem is they say they sent the wrong item on purpose !

charldp

Visit site
marine megastore issues

Yep - seems we don't learn from others.

Had a similar experience with marine megastore - debited my card almost immediately, month later nothing had arrived, no response to emails, tried their "live chat" (which seems their way to push responsibility for follow-up onto their clients). More than a month later, after numerous inquiries and frustration using live chat, was told that two of the items on the order were discontinued! To date, nearly two months later, not a thing has arrived!

Had such sterling service from other web stores.

[29051]

Visit site
I should say that after much frustration, and having to threaten legal action in writing, we did eventually get our return postage credited to our account. It was not a large amount but I was not prepared to let it go on principal.

I had used Marine Megastore before without a problem. It seems that if they have an item in stock or can get it quickly, they are fine. But when things don't go right they have appalling customer service. The Live Chat would be a good thing if it was used properly. But when things turned sour they just left us on hold all day or cut us off.

SimbaDog

Visit site
I ran a mail order company for 18 years, we never took card payments until goods were ready to dispatch & managed to get over 90% of orders to people in UK within 48 hours, it's not rocket science!

Some of these companies need a rocket up their Rs :(

Zagato

Visit site
There was a similar high profile company that sold Land Rover parts. Unfortunately Land Rover forums were afraid to name and shame them for fear of being sued, and poster could not mention them either. In the meantime those that did not read between the lines were caught out including some traders that used to supply them.

They used to trade under a different name at shows and on E-bay but after about five years they finally closed the company not through lack of business I might add but because the partnership dissolved. Only a small percentage of people will ever now about a dodgy firm unfortunately.

tinkicker0

Visit site
Well half of my order came and half was pending. Credit card bill arrived and they had taken the full amount.
So yesterday I emailed them asking what the game was and got a reply saying that the outstanding antenna and mount were no longer available as Navman had stopped making them.
Apparently a rep is going to phone on Monday.

So one wonders just how long they were planning to wait before telling me I would not be getting my stuff and getting a refund?

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
massaging prices

As much as I cannot defend the poor customer service of MarineMegaStore that has been reported here.

I thought it only fair to offer some industry insight in to the world of the chandler, particularly of the online variety. As some of you may remember I used to run a successful online chandlery until there was some dirty tricks from at least one well known chandlery and also followed by a pretty nasty car crash I was lucky to escape from! It cost me my business and my back will never be right as a result.

The suppliers only listen to the big boys, there is rampant price fixing amongst many of the big suppliers, I went to the OFT about it and they were interested but I would have probably lost all my suppliers had I gone ahead with any action, as it happens it would have made no difference!

One thing that is difficult for any chandlery whether online, retail or both is stocking, there are so many parts available that you are never realistically going to have everything your customers want, add in the seasonality of the business and the extortionate rents for waterside premises and life is not as glossy as people make out.

None of this excuses bad customer services, but parts not held in stock can be a real nightmare to get hold of sometimes/most of the time. Prices charged are not always what the chandlery wants to retail at, there are other factors at work!

I could name several very well known marine brands that price fix! But I won't as I cannot now prove it. But at least you know that the industry is far from healthy.

I would encourage people to shop around, use eBay and their local shop if there is one.

Sorry if this seems like a thread hi-jack, it just seemed like a good time to introduce some industry perspective.

Fair winds.
yes it happens all the time. i buy and ship from eu countries and overseas. vat is usually refunded but the hoops you have to jump through to prove you are a genuine non vat payer. and shipper has to verify, more expense if you want to pay by cheque or dd. then major problems. i pay by uk visa even more problems. but compared to the 3rd degree in india its peanuts.

Visit site
If a retailer is this flakey (I've had my own less than satisfactory experience and now completely avoid using them) then why do our hosts endorse them by publishing their adverts?

never mind that - after several similar threads about them, why does any poster go anywhere near them? How are they still in business?

dynamic

Visit site
marine megastore

I have bought many items from these people in the past without too much problem, however I ordered some Bio Diesel treatment three weeks ago but no delivery. I have tried to track the order but can not get into the site. I have also sent three e-mail requesting info but no reply. I tried to talk on line to them but after waiting 20 minutes for an operator I gave up. I will not be ordering from them again, and would suggest you don't either.

CliveP

Visit site
Like several of the previous posters I wish I had read this forum before ordering goods from this company.

I ordered two berth lights on-line. Received a reply saying goods sdould be delivered in 4-10 days. (This should have alerted me, most companies deliver in 2-3 days). Of course they immediately deducted the amount from my debit card. After 8 days having not received them I e-mailed them at the address given in the order confirmation they had sent me. No reply. 2 days later I rang them. Told items not in stock and would be available in a few days.

This was not satisfactory as I was returning to my yacht in the Med. almost immediately. I cancelled the order and was told they would credit my card with the amount that they had deducted. We shall see.

I challenged him about the lack of reply to my e-mail. I was asked which address I had used and was told that it was an non - reply auto number. When I pointed out that it was the address in text of the confirmation of order as the one to use for queries about orders he said it was a mistake!! A likely story.

alancollins

Visit site
Marine Mega Store Problems

I made the mistake of confusing these people with Marine Super Store who seem to be a large and reputable company. Marine Mega Store's website is designed to mislead. I ordered two items from them. They charged for both, delivered one after a long wait and now refuse to repay the money they owe me. Phone calls and e-mails are unanswered as is a personal letter to their Managing Director. This company seems to have gone from hopeless incompetence to blatant dishonesty. Give them a wide berth.

haydude

Visit site
Snooks?

Snooks, please could you make this thread sticky?

Too many people are falling in the net of these cowboys, even I did.

In my case before buying I remembered having read about problems with a store, but I could not remember the name. Searching the forums in my case did not return answers without the right keywords.

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Slap 'em with a moneyclaim on line. https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

If you've paid by card and it's more than £100 then you might be able to use "Section 75"
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

Also buying on line then Distance Selling Regs come into play if they have not explicitly stated your rights under DSR's then your option to cancel extends upto 3 months! You cancel and they MUST return your money within 30 days. If not then slap 'em again with a report to Trading Standards

Last edited:
D

DogWatch

So how long does this outfit take to deliver?

Its been a full 7 days now and nothing. :(

Should have gone to http://www.jgtech.com/ , I have had nothing but excellent service from them on some quite high ticket items. No relation to co. but will always be a return customer. Once managed to order 2 antennas by accident, they refunded without quibble. Also check their prices on solar panels. They often deliver within 36-48 hours, a concept lost on most chandlers.

From my experience the only online people who do not get the fast turnaround that online selling requires are the marine outfits, I have no idea why in general they all seem as bad as each other.

wizard

Visit site
Should have gone to http://www.jgtech.com/ , I have had nothing but excellent service from them on some quite high ticket items. No relation to co. but will always be a return customer. Once managed to order 2 antennas by accident, they refunded without quibble. Also check their prices on solar panels. They often deliver within 36-48 hours, a concept lost on most chandlers.

From my experience the only online people who do not get the fast turnaround that online selling requires are the marine outfits, I have no idea why in general they all seem as bad as each other.

+1

wotayottie

Visit site
Snooks, please could you make this thread sticky?

Too many people are falling in the net of these cowboys, even I did.

Snooks has a problem doesnt he? He can hardly be seen by IPC to be helping pillory an advertiser. I think he's doing well not to delete the thread even if Megastore are a pile of poo.