Princess 440 repower

EssexBoater

Visit site
Hi looking at a 1996 princess 440 somewhere along the line its engines were removed for rebuild then sold off.
Know it would of had the TAMD72s at some point.
was wondering what cost is involved in repowering the boat, in either original engines or peoples recommendations on a newer or more cost effective option.
Also anybody located in essex/suffolk that takes this kind of work on.
many thanks for peoples replies in advance.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
I still would say that the Volvo Tamd73/74/75 430 to 480hp would be the best option for a Princess 440.
Outside of Volvo other options would be Cummins 6.7 480hp or Cats C7 at 510hp. I'd probably go the Cats C7 if you want something fresher and Common-Rail.
Probably if you go this route but also with Volvo 480s you need a new RCD certification as I think the maximum power for the 440 was 430hp.

IThe lighter D6, IMO would screw her balance, also having 5.5 versus 7 liter engines does not help much with a boat which is one of the best riding Princess of all times.
Those 5.5 liters will not have a long life, also because at running order you are looking at something along fourteen tons.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi looking at a 1996 princess 440 somewhere along the line its engines were removed for rebuild then sold off.
Know it would of had the TAMD72s at some point.
was wondering what cost is involved in repowering the boat, in either original engines or peoples recommendations on a newer or more cost effective option.
Also anybody located in essex/suffolk that takes this kind of work on.
many thanks for peoples replies in advance.
I too saw this advert .
The re power would depend to a degree on what has been left after the engines were removed.
I’d assume either 71B 380 or the 72A 430 , if they were the later 72 edc then there will be no morse type controls and cables possibly left , what about the tanks , fuel lines, exhaust etc .
I’ve done many re power projects, the cost is eye watering , it would depend on what speed you require as to what you would need , you can get a pair of Old Ford sabres and Mermaids at 225 to 320 hp for not a lot of money but major internals are obsolete now .
Trying to find a pair of what came out is possible but you would have to contact the likes of Marine enterprises in Dorset or Coastal rides in Dover , but here is a ballpark , you can buy a nice 440 I’d say under a 100k .

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I still would say that the Volvo Tamd73/74/75 430 to 480hp would be the best option for a Princess 440.
Outside of Volvo other options would be Cummins 6.7 480hp or Cats C7 at 510hp. I'd probably go the Cats C7 if you want something fresher and Common-Rail.
Probably if you go this route but also with Volvo 480s you need a new RCD certification as I think the maximum power for the 440 was 430hp.

IThe lighter D6, IMO would screw her balance, also having 5.5 versus 7 liter engines does not help much with a boat which is one of the best riding Princess of all times.
Those 5.5 liters will not have a long life, also because at running order you are looking at something along fourteen tons.
The last 460 , same boat with an extended platform had the TAMD 74 480 hp engines in so that’s a nice limit to give 30 knots max .

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
The last 460 , same boat with an extended platform had the TAMD 74 480 hp engines in so that’s a nice limit to give 30 knots max .
I know. But the RCD certificate might be different (not always the case) so it depends about that. A new RCD CE is about 2k EUROS around South / Central Italy, when you go up North Italy it is 4/5k.

Fire99

Visit site

The C7 is a HEUI engine oil powered injector engine rather than Common Rail. It's a revision of my 3126B engines.. Still a good and fundamentally simple engine even if the HEUI actuator is part of the HEUI pump, so according to Adept Ape on Youtube it can be a little problematic.
Good engines though

EssexBoater

Visit site
Many thanks for your reply’s.
It’s just something I’m toying with, awaiting some more images of what’s been left but apparently just the engines and instruments are missing.
Volvo Paul,
You got any idea on a ball park to re power it?
I don’t need the flat out speed and happy to cruise along but wondered if the d6 route would be an option also see a pair of yanmar 6lys 370 or is it going to make things easier going with the original 72s

Greg2

Visit site
Re-sale would be a sensible consideration. If smaller or less suitable engines are installed money might be saved but selling it on in due course might prove problematic.

Elessar

Visit site
There have been many similar threads. The basic answer is it is not economically viable.
I’ve re engined two boats.
Both were singles.
I sourced good used engines.
I did all the work myself.
The killer is the cost and availability of seemingly small things to make it all come together that you didn’t even realise you needed.

Both mine worked but I wouldn’t consider it where I was paying someone unless it was a much newer boat with engine failure bought for the right price.

Maybe this one could work as a low powered single for river use if you want to keep it. Putting it back with high powered twins and it’s just throwing money away.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Many thanks for your reply’s.
It’s just something I’m toying with, awaiting some more images of what’s been left but apparently just the engines and instruments are missing.
Volvo Paul,
You got any idea on a ball park to re power it?
I don’t need the flat out speed and happy to cruise along but wondered if the d6 route would be an option also see a pair of yanmar 6lys 370 or is it going to make things easier going with the original 72s
The main thing is not to make it underpowered as you will never sell it at market value, making it more attractive is the answer .
I’d never inflict the D6 on anyone , even the 435 wouldn’t be enough .
You need a good max speed to attain a safe comfortable cruise speed .
You need big block slow revving engines in a boat like that .
The 6.7/7.4 litre Volvo block will go straight on the same mounts which gives you an option of the 71/72/73/74/75 engine model .
As an option the Cummins QSB would be a nicer option than yanmar, or cat .
Some of the 440s were fitted with the v8 cat 3208 but you will need new shafts as they are a short block so sit further forward than a 6 pot engine.

oldgit

Visit site
There is a biggish Pearl been sitting ashore near Chatham Historic Dockyard for ages.(Years)
Rumour is the boat foundered and was purchased either as a project to refit and sell on or for personal use by the buyer.
Engines removed.
It came back on the market quite a while ago, it would appear to be unsellable and storage costs will be mounting all the time.
Somebody who might scrape the money together to attempt to refurbish probably could not afford to run it and anybody who could afford to run one of these would not want anything able to affect its resale value.
There was a P440 up for sale in Essex for some considerable at a bargain price, wonder if this the same boat. ?
Photos suggested the interior did need some work.

EssexBoater

Visit site
The main thing is not to make it underpowered as you will never sell it at market value, making it more attractive is the answer .
I’d never inflict the D6 on anyone , even the 435 wouldn’t be enough .
You need a good max speed to attain a safe comfortable cruise speed .
You need big block slow revving engines in a boat like that .
The 6.7/7.4 litre Volvo block will go straight on the same mounts which gives you an option of the 71/72/73/74/75 engine model .
As an option the Cummins QSB would be a nicer option than yanmar, or cat .
Some of the 440s were fitted with the v8 cat 3208 but you will need new shafts as they are a short block so sit further forward than a 6 pot engine.
Paul.
Once ive had some more pictures sent through would you mind having a look at at them, to see what else you might think is missing.
with your experience in this field, would you be interested in repowering this if I could find some replacement engines?
thanks Steve

EssexBoater

Visit site
There is a biggish Pearl been sitting ashore near Chatham Historic Dockyard for ages.(Years)
Rumour is the boat foundered and was purchased either as a project to refit and sell on or for personal use by the buyer.
Engines removed.
It came back on the market quite a while ago, it would appear to be unsellable and storage costs will be mounting all the time.
Somebody who might scrape the money together to attempt to refurbish probably could not afford to run it and anybody who could afford to run one of these would not want anything able to affect its resale value.
There was a P440 up for sale in Essex for some considerable at a bargain price, wonder if this the same boat. ?
Photos suggested the interior did need some work.
Hi,
So is this particular boat still there or did it find itself a new home in the end.
if not any contact details.
many thanks Steve

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Paul.
Once ive had some more pictures sent through would you mind having a look at at them, to see what else you might think is missing.
with your experience in this field, would you be interested in repowering this if I could find some replacement engines?
thanks Steve
My emails on my profile