Princess 35 flybridge 1988 cutless bearing

Marty87

Visit site
Hi fellow boaters can any tell me the size of the cutlass bearing of a princess 35 flybridge 1988 as my boat is currently still in the water.

My boat has the Volvo Penta tamd41a

Regards
Marty

oldgit

Visit site
IF your "P" brackets/ shafts are standard and have not been replaced at some point they should look similar to this.

The cutlass bearing is basic Brass water lubricated 1.5 inches ID and OD of 2 inches. Length 6".
Cost in UK around £45.00 + VAT.
You can buy a less expensive plastic version of cutlass
If you look very carefully you will spot towards forward end of bracket a tiny blemish/ mark in the A/F.
Under this is tiny tiny stainless grub screw securing the cutlass inside the bracket.
Ignore the three obvious holes towards the stern.These are used to collapse the brass sleeve of the cutlass to aid removal.

Can be challenge to remove and refit.
Various DIY suggestions on interweb/ Youtube if you are going to attempt it yourself without special tools.
Cutlass lot easier to change if shafts being drawn or as in my case, needed to remove " P" bracket for repair.
Lot less drama taking off than it sounds as very easy to get to bracket securing bolts in lazerette.

Go to website of T Norris for prices/details

www.tnorrismarine.co.uk for stern gear pdf.

Personally if you give shaft a good wiggle and its not got any play would leave alone unless you like making life difficult. :).

Thats it Good Luck.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
suspect extreme restraint from some forumites about the Brewers Droop on the shaft.....or has nobody spotted it :)

Old cutlass removed by partially cutting through brass sleeve with hackshaw, Used a drift to collapse weakened brass sleeve via those three holes and then finally tapping out with hammer and block of wood.
New cutlass was quite a tight fit.
Stainless grub screw was suprisingly easy to undo.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Saw the bend, but refrained from comment, then I thought where oh where are the egg whisk men?

all on the hard, looking at a pool of milky goo under one or both the outdrives and trying to work out if its gearbox or hydraulic fluid this time ! :):):)