Pressure Cookers??

Anchorite

Visit site
French manufacturer SEB do a range of sizes: choose the model without a handle for easy storage. I prefer the aluminium versions - the stainless seem to burn more with stews etc.

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
Whatever you decide to buy make sure that you can easily obtain spares - the valve and gasket will need changing once a year, on average. That £25 Lidl bargain may be expensive in the long run if you are unable to get spares (ask me how I know!)

Robin

Visit site
French manufacturer SEB do a range of sizes: choose the model without a handle for easy storage. I prefer the aluminium versions - the stainless seem to burn more with stews etc.

We have one with long handles, easier to open/close with more leverage and one with short stubby ones. The long handled one was the one on the boat ironically. Never had a problem with burning with stainless steel but that might be afeature of a cheapy one with a thin base? Aluminium gets scratched up in cleaning, is it good to eat aluminium dust?

maby

Visit site
They are great devices and accidents are very rare provided you obey the instructions - but I would not leave one cooking unobserved. Quite a few years ago, in our house, we had the valve on one block - it took me quite a while to find the safety valve which had passed clean through a plasterboard ceiling... Keep an eye on it and, if it stops hissing, take rapid action!

Robin

Visit site
They are great devices and accidents are very rare provided you obey the instructions - but I would not leave one cooking unobserved. Quite a few years ago, in our house, we had the valve on one block - it took me quite a while to find the safety valve which had passed clean through a plasterboard ceiling... Keep an eye on it and, if it stops hissing, take rapid action!

The valve on modern ones is much improved but the key is never to pile the food so high inside that some gets in the main or the additional safety valve. And once it is up to pressure and hissing, turn the heat down so it just maintains a gentle hiss not a full blown train whistle.

Corsaire

Visit site
The valve on modern ones is much improved but the key is never to pile the food so high inside that some gets in the main or the additional safety valve. And once it is up to pressure and hissing, turn the heat down so it just maintains a gentle hiss not a full blown train whistle.

The Catherine Phipps book I skimmed at the weekend recommended using a diffuser on the burner which could resolve both burning and dangerous heads of steam! I've never used one ashore so not sure how practicable this might be afloat. Thoughts anyone?

Robin

Visit site
The Catherine Phipps book I skimmed at the weekend recommended using a diffuser on the burner which could resolve both burning and dangerous heads of steam! I've never used one ashore so not sure how practicable this might be afloat. Thoughts anyone?

never had a problem so cannot comment. Once the liquid is in the food mix, post any browning stage ( which could have been done in a different pan anyway, as long as enough was added as per instructions and recipes there should be no burning surely unless left too long and boiling dry.

maby

Visit site

I don't think it is necessary - just keep an eye on it and take action if the escape of steam changes unexpectedly. I would not simply set one off and go away for an hour while it cooked!

st599

Visit site
We use a Shuttle Chef, by Thermos. In the UK there used to be an alternative, or competitor - Mr D's Thermal Cooker. There are a number of Japanese suppliers, Tiger being one.

They achieve the same end as a pressure cooker - by a different mechanism.

Heat item, soup, stew, porridge, in saucepan, put now boiling saucepan in a large thermos type container, stays hot for hours - eat, say, casserole 8 hours later (or hot soup through an overnight watch). If you are old enough - its bit like a 'straw box'.

They are not cheap but use less fuel and stay hot for hours. Unlike a PC they are not instant. We have 2 a big one for the family and small one for the 2 of us. Would not be without them.

If you are into jingoism the technology is British, the concept invented by Sir James Dewar around 150 years ago.

I bought a bag in South Africa that does similar.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Whatever you decide to buy make sure that you can easily obtain spares - the valve and gasket will need changing once a year, on average. That £25 Lidl bargain may be expensive in the long run if you are unable to get spares (ask me how I know!)

Last Lidl one I bought came with a complete set of spares! Rubber ring, pressure button and gasket.

Corsaire

Visit site
Managed to acquire a Kuhn Rikon Hotel 5ltr with a big discount. Just cooked perfect corn on the cob in 2 minutes!!!

It's a brace new world!! May thanks for alll the advice and tips everyone!

Bob the Dog

Visit site
We use a Shuttle Chef, by Thermos. In the UK there used to be an alternative, or competitor - Mr D's Thermal Cooker. There are a number of Japanese suppliers, Tiger being one.

Heat item, soup, stew, porridge, in saucepan, put now boiling saucepan in a large thermos type container, stays hot for hours - eat, say, casserole 8 hours later (or hot soup through an overnight watch). If you are old enough - its bit like a 'straw box'.

They are not cheap but use less fuel and stay hot for hours. Unlike a PC they are not instant. We have 2 a big one for the family and small one for the 2 of us. Would not be without them.

If you are into jingoism the technology is British, the concept invented by Sir James Dewar around 150 years ago.

Total,fan of Mr G's cookpot. Purchased a year ago and havnt used PC since. Uses so little gas. Loads of recipes on net. So good SWHMO bought the big one for home. BTW, there are two sizes, the smaller one is good for 4 as it works better being full. Best bit, 10 minutes prep and cook in the morning gets you a hot chillie/ curry at teatime just by leaving it stashed in the locker. What's nicer after a day at sea. No connection, just happy customer

Neeves

Visit site
Total,fan of Mr G's cookpot. Purchased a year ago and havnt used PC since. Uses so little gas. Loads of recipes on net. So good SWHMO bought the big one for home. BTW, there are two sizes, the smaller one is good for 4 as it works better being full. Best bit, 10 minutes prep and cook in the morning gets you a hot chillie/ curry at teatime just by leaving it stashed in the locker. What's nicer after a day at sea. No connection, just happy customer

Greatly underrated, not you Bob, but the Shuttle Chef and its derivatives. An excellent example of products poorly marketed.

Oddly - excellent marketing in Hong Kong and Japan, a whole range of product in every department store.

Jonathan

Saguday

Visit site
We have a Fagor 6L pressure cooker and it's excellent, very well made and not overly expensive (under 50 quid and it's a quality bit of kit), the gas/energy savings are huge.

SWMBO has a Cobb bbq in her sights although she hasn't got round to buying one yet, she spotted them before they became really trendy and bitterly regrets not getting one when they were much cheaper.

The thermal cookers are interesting, thanks for all the info on those - I've forwarded everything on to the Director of Onboard Food Operations for her consideration.

tcm

Visit site
I don’t really fancy a pressure cooker cos it conjures up an image of somebody cooking using something a bit dangerous while the non-cooking person is shouting HURRY UP WHERE’S MY DINNER!! and I don’t much fancy that at all. God I am so touch feely sometimes eh? Sorry.

Robin

Visit site
I don’t really fancy a pressure cooker cos it conjures up an image of somebody cooking using something a bit dangerous while the non-cooking person is shouting HURRY UP WHERE’S MY DINNER!! and I don’t much fancy that at all. God I am so touch feely sometimes eh? Sorry.
never mind the PC which is excellent at sea, are you all ok up and running again, boat and home?

Strolls

Visit site

Heat item, soup, stew, porridge, in saucepan, put now boiling saucepan in a large thermos type container, stays hot for hours - eat, say, casserole 8 hours later (or hot soup through an overnight watch).
Do you use slow-cooker recipes with these insulated cookers?

I'm not much of a chef, and am a bit intimidated by recipes with lots of ingredients, but I'd like to learn to make stews.