Pressure conversion?

Eeyore

www.yachtrhumbdo.co.uk
7psi is 0.59 Kg/cm^2

0.9 Kg/cm^2 is 12.8 psi

I converted using this tool and confirmed with a widget on my mac which does most things.

Thanks.

I've since found out that kg/cm3 is the unit used for measuring such things as the pressure of soft earth, or hard concrete. Why they should print those units on radiator caps is beyond me!

Anyway, 0.9kg/cm3 is obviously too strong a cap for my engine and as I wouldn't want to blow hoses or core plugs rather than lifting the 'safety valve', it's back to the search for a 7psi cap!!!

whipper_snapper

Visit site
Thanks.

I've since found out that kg/cm3 is the unit used for measuring such things as the pressure of soft earth, or hard concrete. Why they should print those units on radiator caps is beyond me!

I think part of your problem may be confusion between cm squared and cm cubed. Pressure is force per unit area, so the divider can only be a length squared (eg psi is pounds per square inch). I am guessing that you are seeing data about densities when you look for cm3.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
As above kg/cm³ would be an (unusual) unit of density, not pressure.

kg/m³ is the unit of density in the SI system

but g/cm³ is the unit most people would recognize.

kg/cm² is a pretty commonly used metric unit of pressure, even if not the SI unit.

1 kg/cm² = 14.223 psi ( or 1 psi = 0.0703 kg/cm²)

The unit of pressure on the SI system is the pascal (Pa) defined as 1 newton/m²

Volvo use kp/cm² (where kp is kiloponds and is kg force). It is numerically equal to kg/cm²

Last edited:

2Tizwoz

Visit site
http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

convertAni.gif

Josh Madison has a nice Convert program on his website for free download.

Eeyore

www.yachtrhumbdo.co.uk
I think part of your problem may be confusion between cm squared and cm cubed. Pressure is force per unit area, so the divider can only be a length squared (eg psi is pounds per square inch). I am guessing that you are seeing data about densities when you look for cm3.

Exactly! The cm3 data is about densities, which is why I cannot understand the radiator caps in Malaya being marked in such a fashion - it is so confusing. Today, I took back the 0.9 kg/cm3 cap and explained it was 'too strong' for my needs. I was told that all the Japanese cars in the area use this cap. Asking about the other car models on the road (Volvo, Renault, Mercedes) drew a look of oriental perplexion from the store owner. Another store only had 0.9 and 1.1kg/cm3 caps, but at least they are trying to order one (or two) 7psi ones for me!