precious cargo

G

Easter will spell the start of my 8 month daughters first boating season, and in addition to any advice that members of the forum would like to offer, just in case we've totally overlooked it, the principal reason for my thread is safety.

We are rigging a childs seat in the cockpit which she will be confined to whilst underway, but if there are any other suggestions I'd be interested to hear your views.

Also, given the range of life preservers etc. available any actual advice or feedback on particular types would be very gratefully received.

As to our cruising, we're based on the South Coast and initially we'll be looking at mainly coastal trips, although - if we ever get some decent weather - the plans for the season include the odd trip to Cherbourg and the Channel Islands.

And yes we've got a liferaft and inflateable tender.

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

G

We took ours sailing at that age. The car seat works well -both in the cockpit and on the cabin sole. We made a netting "leecloth" for the entrance to the forepeak which became a completely padded "soft play" area. Also, we soon learned not to go out in any conditions or on any passage where I wasn't completely happy to sail single handed. Usually both my wife and I sail but one could virtually guarantee that the baby would start howling just as we were about to tack or enter a sea lock or something. One last thing, a sun umbrella near the car seat is essential. Babies don't half burn quick on water! Oh, we also took or baby bouncer with us to hang from the boom when in dock.

Good luck!

G

Guardwire netting is essential when they reach the climbing stage ,also helps stop them throwing things overboard as one of ours went through a stage of doing.When they were bottle fed we used disposable sterile bottle liners as hygiene on a small boat is rarely as good as at home.Saves a lot of pratting about at night as well.