Pre GGR event entrant collision with Bulk Carrier. HOW?

auditdata

www.sephina.org
How does a round the world yacht with a naval commander and his event manager manage to hit a bulk carrier in Biscay in what appears to be good weather.. Both have AIS and presumably the GGR yacht will have more than one collision avoidance system as it is intended for solo sailing.
Not much being said on the event website but to me this is quite alarming?
Luckily the damage was minimal but it could have been catastrophic.

auditdata

www.sephina.org
What relevance does this have? Do you imagine all naval commanders are bridge watchkeepers? I have ridden on a bus but that doesn't make me a bus driver!
Maybe as much relevance as the fact it was a GGR yacht, or it was a bulk carrier or the weather was calm or they had AIS. I don’t know hence the post. But maybe you know better?

Hermit

Visit site
I know nothing about it. Just bugs me that everyone thinks that if you are in the navy you are a world class sailor. Like that twit who hit the tanker off Cowes; lambasted as a 'Naval Officer' who should know better. Was, if memory serves, a Reservist engineer.

auditdata

www.sephina.org
I know nothing about it. Just bugs me that everyone thinks that if you are in the navy you are a world class sailor. Like that twit who hit the tanker off Cowes; lambasted as a 'Naval Officer' who should know better. Was, if memory serves, a Reservist engineer.
I think this one happens to have 10s of thousands of miles under the keel on yachts and a solo circumnavigation so might be better qualified than the average naval commander!

auditdata

www.sephina.org
Perhaps in the light of Hermit’s comments and to avoid going down the rabbit hole I can rephrase
it.

How does a round the world yacht with a very experienced professional yachtsman and his event manager manage to hit a bulk carrier in Biscay in what appears to be good weather.. Both have AIS and presumably the GGR yacht will have more than one collision avoidance system as it is intended for solo sailing.
Not much being said on the event website but to me this is quite alarming?
Luckily the damage was minimal but it could have been catastrophic.

DFL1010

Visit site
The wee yacht operating to International Rules. Bulk carrier operating to Might has Right Rules.

Both boats were under way, so it's definitely not 100% on the bulker.

IMG-0646.jpg

Going to take a bit of time with the buffing wheel to make that look good.

flaming

Visit site
Sounds like the very experienced naval officer was asleep at the time.

Does anyone know if GGR boats routinely transmit AIS? Given as how it's GPS based.....

Mind you, this is the guy who last time round got hit by a storm, rolled and dismasted and was left incapacitated and unable to use his legs for 3 and half days before help arrived. The balls of the guy to go again.... Most people would retire from sailing and take up knitting after that sort of experience.

KevinV

Visit site
So... a naval commander, like Mr Bond...a yacht... just the two of them...no-one on watch..... was the "event manager" Miss Fanny Snuggles by any chance? Or Mr Richard Chomper (it is the navy after all)?

Blueboatman

Visit site
Oh dear that’s very sad indeed
Bit of a mess.
That wasn’t a gentle nudge was it with the combined speeds ? That’s torn the bow apart

Such a lot of effort and lost sleep to get to the pre start event and - wham .

So neither vessels electricery triggered an alarm - salutary for the rest of us perhaps ?

As an enthusiastic singlehander myself I like the idea of a sacrificial pole/spi pole/whisker pole poking out at the front to act as a bump absorber